• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Carisma Porsche 959

t2boats

@300bhp/ton  they're the ones I use on the indoor tarmac track - grip very well. Fronts last around 5 race meets (they'll begin to wear on the outer edges of front tyres), which is 4 races of 5mins each per evening, so mine are good for around 90-100 mins of rag time on a track. They can still be used to good effect, but lose their edge around this sort of usage, but to be fair considering how soft a compound they are - they last very very well! Rears haven't worn at all! Oh and that's using 3S. I use a more substantial knobbly tyre for the offroad track, seen on earlier pages in this thread. 

Edited by t2boats

I know people have said about the price of a replacement shell for these. I’m not currently needing one. But it looks like a truck wheel might work as a budget option. 

Youd need to remove the bumpers and the wheels would stick out a bit. But it would probably make for a reasonably scale 1/10th pickup. 

This is the shell off my Tamiya Asterion. 

D7FDC78B-9EE3-4D5F-B819-9040AECDCFA0.jpg

BC16E201-6D38-435B-A628-3B7523787015.jpg

Mine goes well on our outdoor track, but that’s worn grass, down to the roots in most places. And I also fit it with more substantial knobbly tyres, grip is great. I put a short vid up on this thread. 

Fitted the 3660 3800kv motor this morning, with a 13t 5mm pinion. New rear body post (I dropped it without the body :ack:) and just a general screw check around the car. Glue a new set of tyres on to the M48S rims as spares and it’s good to go!

edit: and a set of ali 7mm hex’s 

885EF785-7D01-4025-B5D3-13C729DE1A3D.jpeg

Edited by t2boats

• 1 month later...

Now my 222 is finished, think my next project will be to upgrade the 959 from standard.
As the chassis is mostly flat, i was thinking of replacing the metal for carbon sheet to see if i can, more than anything else. Then looking to get better suspension.

Has anyone upgraded theirs yet?

2 hours ago, tolk83 said:

Now my 222 is finished, think my next project will be to upgrade the 959 from standard.
As the chassis is mostly flat, i was thinking of replacing the metal for carbon sheet to see if i can, more than anything else. Then looking to get better suspension.

Has anyone upgraded theirs yet?

Upgraded the motor/esc, although only a cheapie Goolrc combo and the steering servo is now an Alturn.

I really regret not getting o e of these when they were cheap :banghead:
For the 150 it cost it's such a fun car. On 3s it's more than fast enough, me and my lad were hooning around the garden today, and it was just going where it was pointed (admittedly hedges a fair bit!)
  • Like 1

Had two sets if very reasonably priced tyre/ wheel combos arrive from China this week, with no import charges. 

They are mounted on buggy wheels, will give them ago on the car, until I can find a set of white 959 wheels.....:rc_car:

• 3 weeks later...

@QRC  Apex Models seem to be the only place I've found that sell the set of 4 wheels. I've had a few sets now and fitted offroad tyres, I like the look of them. Really am enjoying this car, it's a keeper that's for sure!   @tolk83  I've not really looked into suspension changes, it copes well on the indoor tarmac track, slight lean to it but it helps the realism of the shell, and it eats up the offroad track with the jump easily. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 22:05, big gaz said:

I really regret not getting o e of these when they were cheap :banghead:

Same here, had the opportunity but passed it up!

Can't seem to find any for sale, MS had some for a while at £159.

• 2 years later...

Not posted on here for a long time..  Had several RC's over the last year or so. I'm still running this amongst other rally cars in the class at the club (before the 'vid came along to ruin the party), but hopefully the club will reopen in the coming month or so. The Porsche is still running perfectly well. It's still running a 3660 3800kv motor on 3S through a 120A esc, absolutely love it, it looks so good too. Not really looked into changing the shocks on it, they've performed well so far, added a few collar adjusters on the shock bodies but that's it. Bought some fresh tyres for it and now on the hunt for yet more carisma wheels...