• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage - good first buggy choice?

TheTwig

Hi all,

I'm looking for the best way into electric rc cars as a hobby for me and my son (aged 9) to share. We'd be using it on/off-road locally and not racing.

Searching through images online for what he likes the look of, he has spotted and loves the FTX Vantage. Coming onto the forum here I see that it's a popular model too, so that possibly eliminates another tedious thread from a beginner asking for recommendations? If my son loves the FTX and it's a respectable vehicle, then I'm happy to go with it.

My first thoughts were to get a car we can build together, as an exciting step up from lego and a bit of bonding etc. Is that something you would recommend for beginners, or am I better off getting a ready to run car like the FTX and learning to maintain and upgrade it as we break stuff ? Having a ready runner has obvious appeal...

With the FTX Vantage particularly, I see there are two models 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-vantage-1-10-4wd-brushed-buggy-2.4ghz-waterproof/rc-car-products/379131

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-vantage-1-10-4wd-brushless-buggy-rtr-waterproof/rc-car-products/40388

A few dumb questions if I may:

Are there many general build quality differences between the two models, or is it just the difference between the brushed/less motors?

...So would I be right in thinking I could keep the cost and (perhaps more importantly to start with) the speed down by getting the FTX5528 for us initially, then upgrading the motor if/when we are ready, or is that a false economy (or even a possibility)?

Cost isn't really a consideration, but I could maybe get two of the cheaper one and we could have double the fun, and if the upgrade paths are there and readily available then we could tinker and end up with two awesome cars anyway - tinker with one at a time so we always have a runner if we are struggling with the mechanical side of things.

Or... Would we be better off with something else entirely, building from scratch and learning the hard way - in which case...erm, help.

Thanks, if you read this far !

• Like 1

The Vantage is a good beginners rig, IMO. Build quality is ok, more importantly, spares are cheap, which is good as they do break things....Spurs and hingepin holders should always be kept in the spares box. Stock servo is poor (as with most rigs tbh) so an upgrade will be required sharpish.

Buying brushed, then upgrading to brushless is the norm with these: the stock brushless combo isn't that good, you can buy and install something much better for less than the cost difference of buying brushless from the off.

Of course brushless requires lipo batteries and a suitable charger. 2s hardcase packs are available from Hobbyking for good money, the recommended charger is the 80w Overlander Rc6's (mains powered) although, as you'll be running with your son, perhaps a dual port charger would be better, allowing you to charge both packs simultaneously.

Kit builds are very limited these days, most manufacturers sell rtr. Tamiya are the mainstay, hugely nostalgic, good fun but can be a bit lacking for some. You will of course require radio gear, servos, bearings and batteries to complete and run.

Hth and welcome to the forum :good:

• Like 1

The Vantage is one of the most popular first buggys out there. Whether or not that means its actually good at the job is somewhat subjective - its popular because its cheap and available. Lots of people have broken theirs, but then new drivers do break cars - its not necessarily the cars fault! In all practical terms the design and build quality are no different from most other models in the same price range. 

The difference between the brushed and brushless models is obviously that one has a brushed motor, the other a brushless one. The first thing most people will tell you is that the brushless one will be quicker. Ultimately this will be a good thing, but when first learning does make it harder to control and breakages more likely. However the often overlooked factor is that brushless is more efficient than brushed, meaning not only do you go faster, but you can run for longer too. 

This is even more significant for the Vantage because there is another difference between the two versions - what battery they come with. The brushed comes with an 1800mAh NiMH pack and charger - the brushless version come with a 3250mAh LiPo and charger. You should get twice the running time on the stock battery from the brushless version.

It is possible (relatively cheaply and easily) to upgrade the brushed version to brushless and lipo at a later date. In fact you can fit significantly better motors and batteries than the ones supplied in the brushless kit. So starting brushed and upgrading later would produce the best overall version, though at slightly more total cost than just buying the brushless one from the start. 

Oh and if you want a kit then there is one standout choice right now - the ECX AMP MT. Calling it a kit is a bit unfair as kits tend to come without things like a radio or battery. The AMP is more like an RTR someone forgot to actually assemble - it even comes with tools!

As a truck design it will handle rougher terrain better than the the very low slung Vantage, and can be upgraded to brushless and lipo just like the FTX. 

Edited by Si Coe
  • Like 2

The Amp.

How could I forget that little beauty. Well designed, easy to work on, takes a beating and comes back for more. Upgraded the power plant in mine twice now, simply because it soaks up the punishment :D

The Amp.

How could I forget that little beauty. Well designed, easy to work on, takes a beating and comes back for more. Upgraded the power plant in mine twice now, simply because it soaks up the punishment [emoji3]

We have an ECX DB and brushless vantage the vantage is way quicker and more delicate. My son loves the AMP and never bothers about the Vantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies

So, if the Vantage is fragile, is it possible to upgrade it with better parts as I go and eliminate those problems bit by bit? or are the new bits gonna break too ?

If upgrades don't work (other than in pure performance terms), would I be better off buying a different, better built buggy from the outset, perhaps still brushed as an upgradable economy (bearing in mind I still don't know what I'm talking about...) to get the best I can for my money.

I get the point about better battery performance on a brushless though, so would the throttle limiters I've seen on some controllers (are they just inserts to shorten the lever throw?) be a simple way around the learning curve ? Or do I not worry about it and go brushless... actually, it makes total sense what you say about after market upgrades being better than higher spec stock items which swings me back to brushed, but on as awesome a buggy as I can afford.

Ideal for me would be a tough 4wd buggy style rc that could take a knock reliably so we don't need to be careful or be trying to fix it more than we drive it (understanding there will be some damage at some point), be weatherproof, easy to work on, upgrade effectively and a budget of £200.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies
So, if the Vantage is fragile, is it possible to upgrade it with better parts as I go and eliminate those problems bit by bit? or are the new bits gonna break too ?
If upgrades don't work (other than in pure performance terms), would I be better off buying a different, better built buggy from the outset, perhaps still brushed as an upgradable economy (bearing in mind I still don't know what I'm talking about...) to get the best I can for my money.

I get the point about better battery performance on a brushless though, so would the throttle limiters I've seen on some controllers (are they just inserts to shorten the lever throw?) be a simple way around the learning curve ? Or do I not worry about it and go brushless... actually, it makes total sense what you say about after market upgrades being better than higher spec stock items which swings me back to brushed, but on as awesome a buggy as I can afford.

Ideal for me would be a tough 4wd buggy style rc that could take a knock reliably so we don't need to be careful or be trying to fix it more than we drive it (understanding there will be some damage at some point), be weatherproof, easy to work on, upgrade effectively and a budget of £200.

It's interesting but by delicate I mean if I crash head first into a tree at 25mph something snaps not sure that's really delicate or just normal physics really :) if it's solid and never brakes there nothing to work on so no fun plus most replacement parts seem to be less than £10 so no big issues fixing it up for the cash it's a great car although as I say my son loves the AMP ECX DB as well and that's half the price

I bought the FTX Carnage as my first car and use it with my 8 year old. It pretty much gets broken every time i take it out - mainly because it gets treated badly and where i drive it. I've upgraded the body posts to the aluminium/carbon setup which helps a lot.

I have a couple of smaller BMX/Skate parks near me and in the belief that the carnage is too big for these, i bought the Carsima GT24TR. It seems very tough even though i have broken suspension arms and steering links. Most of the time i take it out it doesn't break. Its a lot better suited to how i bash on these smaller ramps. For a little car its loads of fun - especially on a 2S.

If i was doing it again i would probably go for a traxxas slash or a Losi Short course - they seem so much tougher from looking at how people treat them on youtube. However, i'm sure i would break one of those too. 

Good luck! Ringo

Thanks again for chipping in,

Well all things considered, the brushed FTX Vantage seems to be a reasonably priced, easily serviceable and upgradable car, that my son already loves the look of - and that's half the battle. If he loves it, he'll use it and when it breaks he'll want to fix it.

I think as a first dip in the water there's not much to lose, so I'm probably going to go that way. Can't really see why not to get the lad what he wants and it's not a massive investment if he loses interest.

So my next question would be about spares and tools... obviously it would be better not to have to wait for orders and deliveries every time we have a mishap, so is there a standard or recommended assortment of (regularly broken) spares you guys always have ready?

If the budget isn't going to be stretched, maybe I should get more tooled up for impending mechanicals. If I stock up with upgraded parts then we're ready to go (and I'll look like the awesomest ever-prepared dad ever).

...this is very exciting.

It's a good idea to get spares at the same time. One thing that gets me everytime is that postage cost as much as the part you are buying!

Tools: 1.5, 2.0, 2.5mm hex drivers. Something to get the wheels off (sorry, i already had tools so can't remember).

Spares: As said above. suspension arms, suspension arm holders, slipper clutch (or parts of), body clips (Cheap off ebay), pinion gear, spur gear, hinge pins, dog bones, shock towers...

HTH's

Ringo

• Like 2

Front hinge pin holders, FTX6220 are a must...Worth keeping a couple of sets in.

Freeprawn usually have good stock of FTX parts, anything not in can be ordered quickly (provided the supplier has stock). Currently, there are many, many 6220's available.....:whistling:

http://www.freeprawnracing.co.uk/electric-car-parts-hopups/ftx-vantage-carnage-and-bugsta-parts-and-hopups/vantage/

Word of note: the receiver is not waterproof and will require popping into a balloon before use. 

• Like 1

The Vantage isn't any more fragile than any other 1/10th buggy of a similar cost. Its just that 1/10th buggys as a whole are relatively delicate things, at least compared to trucks and 1/8ths. If your son likes the look of it, get it. It works well enough and you can rest assured anything you do break would equally likely have gone on a Maverick Strada, Abisima AB1 or LRP Blast which are the main competitors. The first real step up in quality comes when you up the price to £179 for the Traxxas Bandit but that is 2wd and still brushed (and frankly a little over priced) - otherwise its things like the RB6 and B4.2 at £230 (which are brushless and much better than the Bandit, but still 2wd). 

Edited by Si Coe

Thanks for the top tips (especially the balloon - so much to learn), it's all good to hear - We're definitely going for the brushed Vantage and putting a toolkit/spares box together with some of the remaining budget. I think it will be a great first dip into it and breaking and fixing will be half of the fun (for me at least).

My son has had would could be an almost good idea... Seeing the amount of spares around for this buggy, does that mean EVERY part is available to buy separately ?

And does THAT mean we could buy one complete buggy, then slowly build another one from after market stock and upgraded parts over time, using the complete one (and youtube) for reference as we go? We could take bits off and see how they work and assemble - it could be very interesting.

If we built one from scratch out of upgraded parts, would it be more cost effective (possibly only just) than buying another RTR and upgrading from there because we don't have the initial outlay, and it would mean we always had a runner, and had one to copy from/refer to as we build the second one.

An interesting and appealing idea, but it relies on being to buy every single part I need. If Apple made RCs, there would be one bit that you couldn't buy...

Costs far more to build from parts alone, even using only stock parts and no hop ups. I priced up doing this with a cheap Tamiya some time back, out of interest....

Now, hobbyking used to sell the Quantum Vandal, which is identical to the Vantage, only cheaper.... May be worth buying one of those and robbing it of parts? (NB: Hobbyking UK sell cars but seldom have parts, these need to be ordered from their Hong Kong warehouse....)

I suppose I could always just buy another Vantage and completely disassemble it and rebuild, use it to learn on - I suppose that wouldn't allow for upgrading though.

I've just seen the Vandal on hobby king, it seems to be about the same price as the Vantage, but without a battery so there doesn't seem to be anything to be gained really.

I suppose that's all getting ahead of ourselves, it was just a neat idea he had. Maybe I'll cost it up for fun so I know what I'm looking at - at least I'll have a price list of spares! - then decide if it's worth it for the fun factor. We could buy a few parts every now and then and add them on. You're right though, it's bound to be more expensive, especially if I include hop ups rather than stock parts which would be the temptation. I could probably have got us a much tastier second buggy by the time I finish, although there's something to be said for sharing spares and keeping both vehicles compatible.

I could go round in circles for hours with this I suppose, I need to just buy the thing and stop trying to run before I can walk.

I suppose I could always just buy another Vantage and completely disassemble it and rebuild, use it to learn on - I suppose that wouldn't allow for upgrading though.
I've just seen the Vandal on hobby king, it seems to be about the same price as the Vantage, but without a battery so there doesn't seem to be anything to be gained really.

I suppose that's all getting ahead of ourselves, it was just a neat idea he had. Maybe I'll cost it up for fun so I know what I'm looking at - at least I'll have a price list of spares! - then decide if it's worth it for the fun factor. We could buy a few parts every now and then and add them on. You're right though, it's bound to be more expensive, especially if I include hop ups rather than stock parts which would be the temptation. I could probably have got us a much tastier second buggy by the time I finish, although there's something to be said for sharing spares and keeping both vehicles compatible.

I could go round in circles for hours with this I suppose, I need to just buy the thing and stop trying to run before I can walk.

Buy one break it then start having fun :)

I am in the process of sending my vantage back, I think its a good first buggy, but setup out of the box is crap, in 3 months of mild use mine has been very problematic. spent over £120 on spares including chassis, shells, wings, wing mounts etc, Never had a full charge worth of use without something breaking, coming loose or it constantly tipping itself on its roof when you make a fast turn. 

That said loads of folk on here love the car and I think mine was a bad egg in the basket,  but I would honestly reccomend you get the carnage instead if you want an ftx, my kids have a brushed one and it stands up to a lot of stick, they do a brushless option of that too.  If its a buggy you are after have a look at the maverick desert wolf, its marginally more expensive but built 10 times better.  I almost bought one in my local hobby shop untill I spotted something rather special.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-desert-wolf-1-8th-brushless-buggy/rc-car-products/389511

Edited by TheGinja
spelling erors

24 minutes ago, TheGinja said:

I am in the process of sending my vantage back, I think its a good first buggy, but setup out of the box is crap, in 3 months of mild use mine has been very problematic. spent over £120 on spares including chassis, shells, wings, wing mounts etc, Never had a full charge worth of use without something breaking, coming loose or it constantly tipping itself on its roof when you make a fast turn. 

That said loads of folk on here love the car and I think mine was a bad egg in the basket,  but I would honestly reccomend you get the carnage instead if you want an ftx, my kids have a brushed one and it stands up to a lot of stick, they do a brushless option of that too.  If its a buggy you are after have a look at the maverick desert wolf, its marginally more expensive but built 10 times better.  I almost bought one in my local hobby shop untill I spotted something rather special.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-desert-wolf-1-8th-brushless-buggy/rc-car-products/389511

That's a lot of $$ on spares.  Tipping over is hardly the cars fault, but i'm interested in what else failed - plastic ready to rebuilds tend not to shake themselves to pieces like RC's with many metal to metal parts.  I'm assuming the wing mounts / shells broke when it rolled over?  There's certainly a very strong argument for looking at total costs of ownership with any RC, as if you can find the upfront cost a 'better' is sometimes the cheaper option in the long run.

I've not had a lot to do with the Desert Wolf, don't see many around - HPI brought it and the timberwolf (from memory) to my local astro track when they launched and it didn't go well - nowhere near as durable as a 'true' 1/8.

RTR =  Ready to Rebuild as Capri said. Depends on the brand etc, but frequently the design is OK but quality control and assembly is shocking. Which means you get the odd 'Friday car' where nothing is right. Not sure how you've managed to rack up that bill without reversing over it with a full sized car though! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

That's a lot of $$ on spares.  Tipping over is hardly the cars fault, but i'm interested in what else failed - plastic ready to rebuilds tend not to shake themselves to pieces like RC's with many metal to metal parts.  I'm assuming the wing mounts / shells broke when it rolled over?  There's certainly a very strong argument for looking at total costs of ownership with any RC, as if you can find the upfront cost a 'better' is sometimes the cheaper option in the long run.

I've not had a lot to do with the Desert Wolf, don't see many around - HPI brought it and the timberwolf (from memory) to my local astro track when they launched and it didn't go well - nowhere near as durable as a 'true' 1/8.

I totally agree on the $$$ , way to high for a 3 month old car,  I would definately of saved up more for a better car in hind sight. However Bargain Fever took over and I was burnt. But I cant fully blame FTX or the car.

I think it was likely due to it being off a bad batch,or old brittle plastics,  because the replacement parts have stood the test of time a little better.   the rear wings are very fragile anyway, the riginal one split in the corners, the 2nd one shattered and 3rd one split again, all after just barely two flips of each.  I ended up buying a proline one which has been awesome, much thicker and tougher.  I also invested in the optional anti roll bars, and no flips since.  Its had 8 or 9 runs and as many repairs.  yet had no head on, side on fast kerb meetings, lampost kisses or anything other than a knock while sliding on its roof. 

The car mostly tipped when you have a change of surface, say from grass to tarmac, and its a very nippy little buggy so it skids into other objects, but it seems to be that the wings and wing mounts are very weak. the chassis broke out of general wear and tear it split across near the front, However, the replacement chassis I ordered

was off a quanum vandal and was cheaper yet better.  The plastic wheels are quite fragile as well as they have cracked near the edges,

I dont bash the cars,  so this is why I am sending it back as my kids carnage was half the price and is abused by them yet remains defiant and not breaking anything despite sharing mostly almost identical parts.  FTX and CML have been good in that they are replacing the car with a brushless carnage as a gesture of good will.

I cant say its a bad buggy, its definately feisty and responsive but I havent had a positive experience, and I dont use it anymore because I know something will break lol.

I havent seen many either of the desert wolf,  the fisrt I saw of one was in the model shop, and it look very well made, sturdy plastics, half metal chassis, much more metal parts. I have to say I was impressed for the price.  Had a look on youtube and its fairly quick as well, and I believe maverick is built and supprted by HPI also so you are looked after well.

18 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

I totally agree on the $$$ , way to high for a 3 month old car,  I would definately of saved up more for a better car in hind sight. However Bargain Fever took over and I was burnt.

I think it was likely due to it being off a bad batch,or old brittle plastics,  because the replacement parts have stood the test of time a little better.   the rear wings are very fragile anyway, the riginal one split in the corners, the 2nd one shattered and 3rd one split again, all after just barely two flips of each.  I ended up buying a proline one which has been awesome, much thicker and tougher.  I also invested in the optional anti roll bars, and no flips since.  Its had 8 or 9 runs and as many repairs.

The car mostly tipped when you have a change of surface, say from grass to tarmac, and its a very nippy little buggy so it skids into other objects, but it seems to be that the wings and wing mounts are very weak. the chassis broke out of general wear and tear it split across near the front, However, the replacement chassis I ordered

was off a quanum vandal and was cheaper yet better.  The plastic wheels are quite fragile as well as they have cracked near the edges,

I dont bash the cars,  so this is why I am sending it back as my kids carnage was half the price and is abused by them yet remains defiant and not breaking anything despite sharing mostly almost identical parts.  FTX and CML have been good in that they are replacing the car with a brushless carnage as a gesture of good will.

I cant say its a bad buggy, its definately feisty and responsive but I havent had a positive experience, and I dont use it anymore because I know something will break lol.

Sorry about duplicate post .. Newbie here

With regards to upgrade parts, they offer alluminium pieces, you can also look up the quanum vandal as its almost the same car but parts are even cheaper still. I discovered an alluminiu chassis after id bought a plastic one,  The carbon parts seem over priced though, but you can definately tweek and pimp to your hearts desire.

7 minutes ago, TheGinja said:

I totally agree on the $$$ , way to high for a 3 month old car,  I would definately of saved up more for a better car in hind sight. However Bargain Fever took over and I was burnt. But I cant fully blame FTX or the car.

I think it was likely due to it being off a bad batch,or old brittle plastics,  because the replacement parts have stood the test of time a little better.   the rear wings are very fragile anyway, the riginal one split in the corners, the 2nd one shattered and 3rd one split again, all after just barely two flips of each.  I ended up buying a proline one which has been awesome, much thicker and tougher.  I also invested in the optional anti roll bars, and no flips since.  Its had 8 or 9 runs and as many repairs.  yet had no head on, side on fast kerb meetings, lampost kisses or anything other than a knock while sliding on its roof. 

I havent seen many either of the desert wolf,  the fisrt I saw of one was in the model shop, and it look very well made, sturdy plastics, half metal chassis, much more metal parts. I have to say I was impressed for the price.  Had a look on youtube and its fairly quick as well, and I believe maverick is built and supprted by HPI also so you are looked after well.

Very good service from CML in swapping it for a Carnage.  As you mention it's pretty much the same thing, though in my experience what makes the Carnage stand up to abuse better is it's a truggy, and the shell / bumper take a lot of the energy out of impacts.

• Like 1

Yes absolutely agreed, much more suited to the job being a carnage.  If the OP does go ahead with a vantage, PM me and il post out the spares I have that wont be needed anymore, very happy to donate them to a good home.

Overall the vantage is a fun little car but as long as you know the good and bad you can make a good decision.  I have to shoot off now peeps as my son needs help prepping his food tech ingredients,

Best of luck,

Very good service from CML in swapping it for a Carnage.  As you mention it's pretty much the same thing, though in my experience what makes the Carnage stand up to abuse better is it's a truggy, and the shell / bumper take a lot of the energy out of impacts.

I put the carnage bumper on my Vantage that seems to have helped. £120 sounds a lot but I reckon I could easily rack it up without noticing. I replaced my wing before it broke with a Schumacher one add to that the front end and top part of chassis sway bars and spare bolts and suspension towers front and back dog bones and cvds plus postage I'm probably in for the same amount then again I've had as much fun out of it to and also started to try and drive a bit more sympathetically