• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

does anyone drive with sticks anymore

prometheus

:) guys

just getting myself back into RC cars after many years by buying a new 1/8 brushless EB4 G3 and i have to say im not feeling it with the standard transmitter that comes with the car, it ok im just really used to sticks.

So does anyone use the older style transmitters any more and can you get them on 2.4ghz

Prometheus

I prefer sticks for crawlers and scale but wheels are fine for the faster stuff. Plenty of stick radios available. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rc-systems/rc-car-categories/9910/991010&MSAttributeID[10]=525

The UK market is a bit different to the US market. In the US it's pretty well all wheel type but in the UK sticks are still fairly popular although wheels are more common and a basic 2 or 3 channel wheel radio can be had for less than a stick.

John

Edited by johninderby

You can get a Flysky 2ch wheel radio for about 20 quid. Cheap way to give it a try and find out if you'll get on with it.

Just because a lot of people will say just get a wheel radio doen't mean it's the best thing for you. So try a wheel radio by all means but if it doesn't feel right then stick with sticks. :D

John

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

You can get a Flysky 2ch wheel radio for about 20 quid. Cheap way to give it a try and find out if you'll get on with it.

Just because a lot of people will say just get a wheel radio doen't mean it's the best thing for you. So try a wheel radio by all means but if it doesn't feel right then stick with sticks. :D

John

thanks fela i have the ace transmitter that came with the car, just feels a little alien to me after all these year

odd thing really, dont know why i have not dusted off some of my old cars before now, just been looking through them and i have 2 ek4 trucks ts4n eb4, eb4 s2, eb4 s3, a ton of nitro engines and servos.

any of these worth anything these days or perhaps i feel some brushless conversions comming on.

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Core, Etronix or Tamco (different brands same radio) 3 channel radios are not bad at all. Favouite stick radio is the Spektrum 2ch surface radio although has now been discontinued. Was a bit expensive though.

John

i have been looking around online for some sticks but they all look a little cheap if i may say so

I began the hobby with acoms sticks some 15 + years ago then went on to rc planes so have always preferred sticks .
I came back to cars in 2013 an although it felt alien quickly got used to the wheel an now have a sanwa mxv wheel radio +some that came rtr , but my favourite stick radio at the moment is the sanwa exes zz , couple of guys at the track I visit have these an their stunning bits of tech, however they should be because their £300 + :(
Spektrum + ko propo also make high end stick tx's .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, prometheus said:

do you guys consider its better to stick with the wheel thing and get used to it or buy a decent pair of sticks lol :)

nice to see im not the only one who likes a good pair ;)

Interesting that this question has come up today.

Back when I first started to race regularly, I used sticks as they seemed more natural than wheel having come to RC cars from an RC plane background.

I then left racing and took up scale RC, which required more than the 2 channels of my surface stick set, but was illegal for use with my multi-channel aircraft set. The only multi-channel surface-legal sets available with the features I wanted in my price range at the time were wheel style, so I made the switch.

It was easy enough to drive a slow scaler on a wheel set but it took a long time to get used to driving fast and precisely with a wheel controller after over two decades on sticks. However today I think I can finally say that I have made the switch successfully, since today I won my first A final since having taken up racing again with a wheel set!

If I can switch successfully, I am sure you could too, if you wanted to.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

Interesting that this question has come up today.

Back when I first started to race regularly, I used sticks as they seemed more natural than wheel having come to RC cars from an RC plane background.

I then left racing and took up scale RC, which required more than the 2 channels of my surface stick set, but was illegal for use with my multi-channel aircraft set. The only multi-channel surface-legal sets available with the features I wanted in my price range at the time were wheel style, so I made the switch.

It was easy enough to drive a slow scaler on a wheel set but it took a long time to get used to driving fast and precisely with a wheel controller after over two decades on sticks. However today I think I can finally say that I have made the switch successfully, since today I won my first A final since having taken up racing again with a wheel set!

If I can switch successfully, I am sure you could too, if you wanted to.

i will give it a go :)

i went back to sticks when i started racing again instead of just bashing around. I do a lot of flying now as well so it just made sense. Get a lot more control with the sticks but i guess it is what you are used to.
Want to get some Sanwa's or a Futaba but I only use the cheap Core one at the moment which does have alot of features for the money. The RX 's are only about £15 (can get small ones from Hobbyking).  Can pick them up 2nd hand for £25-30 with receivers.

• Like 1

I prefer wheel, I put up this same topic a few months back, I have used a wheel for the last few years back in to RC so I bought a stick controller and found it hard to use. Back on wheel now and staying :)

9 hours ago, Voicon said:

I prefer wheel, I put up this same topic a few months back, I have used a wheel for the last few years back in to RC so I bought a stick controller and found it hard to use. Back on wheel now and staying :)

Im sure i will get the hang of it but i spent donkies years driving with sticks and now i also do a bit of drone flying so picking up this wheel thing is bloody odd but i am sure i will get there :)