• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

33 minutes ago, johninderby said:

That's on 2s.

John

Think i need to get myself some 2s, I first ran mine on a brushless 8.5t with 3s and it was just stupidly fast,  I've just fitted the 13.5t Turnigy trackstar (ROAR) approved sensored brushless system but dare not run it on 3s as the last test run was barely  controllable just wheelies everywhere 

I took the "mild" approach as I was after something that would be a good all rounder. It has OK top speed but is great at slow speed. Also is running the Chinese Irok clone tyres. Stock tyres balloon like crazy and do lead to a lot of rolling over. With the clones it can be slid sideways on tarmac without rolling over.

John

finally got to try mine today, running 2s castle 3800, alloy chassis and motor mount plus metal driveshaft, great little fun truck, good speed and very quiet, not touched shocks etc and its good

• Like 1

So, finally got some time and all the parts to fettle the new Ares sensored motor and Hobbywing ESC.

Took a few attempts because once assembled the drive train just appeared to lock up. Strip it back, and everything worked in isolation.

Culprit? Using the slightly longer screws to screw the top plate into the gearbox housing. The screw ends where catching the spur leaving the two indents and jamming it.

Thankfully I carry 4 spur and pinions now in my spares box.

97802695dbd8a4f8cc7abc8a71927d77.jpgdd0084341ed2e871da26e969bd11d160.jpge8843a25755aa1a4a8a413fc5d21e06a.jpg

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Here the first test run, no cogging and real smooth. Reverse is a bit severe but tuning with the prog card and tx is yet to be done. And the slightly damaged spur is still in there for the testing runs so there's a little extra noise which should go in due course.

She's back on stock wheels because it'll be crawling first of all, and the Bugsta wheels ain't great for that.

Main changes are

Ares 13.5T Pro sensored brushless motor

Hobbywing 10BL60 ESC

Turnigy 1501 17kg servo

Absima R3FS RX and their 4 channel Tx.

Ally upgrade motor mount

Steel rear prop shaft

• Like 1

Been there, done it and finally realised I'd used long screws to fasten down the top plate. [emoji3]

Awiting report on your our first run with the new combo.

John
It was a relief to realise it was an easy fix. Just got to get over the shame.....

Thanks for your input on all this John. It seems a much more "mature" animal now, not the crazy puppy of old.

Hopefully I have managed to cure the appetite for spurs too.

42 minutes ago, bieomax said:

Was that the fixed diff you machined a few weeks back ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes buddy I've now suplied around 30 of them to people all over the world, and have them in the front and rear of both mine and my misses outlaws. 

• Like 2

been out and had a great time, really good for woods etc but a rookie mistake left it rear wheel drive only, front bloody drive cup screw loose, threadlock time, anyone tried a diff locker in rear? think it would help for having fun in the woods and a bit climb

been out and had a great time, really good for woods etc but a rookie mistake left it rear wheel drive only, front bloody drive cup screw loose, threadlock time, anyone tried a diff locker in rear? think it would help for having fun in the woods and a bit climb
I'd see the comments top of page mate. Might try one too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ADH66 said:

I'd see the comments top of page mate. Might try one too.

cool cheers, got quite a few vehicles but am thinking with a rear diff lock it can go similar places as my outback ranger but do more jumps and less climbs, if that makes sense

cool cheers, got quite a few vehicles but am thinking with a rear diff lock it can go similar places as my outback ranger but do more jumps and less climbs, if that makes sense
Same lines that I'm thinking. Terry's Bugsta is so much stronger a vehicle than my Outlaw so it's going to become more of a fast trail beast to accompany my project scx10.2 build.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ADH66 said:

Same lines that I'm thinking. Terry's Bugsta is so much stronger a vehicle than my Outlaw so it's going to become more of a fast trail beast to accompany my project scx10.2 build.

There is a small problem when zooming through the woods, or at least mine, for some bloody reason odd bits of bricks seem to attract to the bloody outlaw. Just had castle esc plugged in for tuning, going to try it with 20% drag brake as it bloody freewheeled a fair old distance with no drag brake, also seems to dip front down a touch when jumping / dropping off stuff so applied a touch of throttle to land it good, bloody bargain though and really impressed with the brand FTX on both this and my outback