• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

Yes it delivers some chassis twist! On the short vid I made there's a slight lift on one corner as I feathered the throttle, I gave it too much beforehand on other attempts and you'd swear it was going over invisible objects..

like the idea of the brace John, as u say it's so simple. I haven't time to look at it since xmas, been too busy, not even driven it off-road yet! 

8 minutes ago, t2boats said:

How do find the drag brake function on the esc? Mine's violent.. just have to use the throttle to help slow it down a bit or it induces too much reverse current too quickly :huh:

There's no drag brake at all on mine. Just rolls to a stop when the throttle is released. Will have to do some research on the set-up of these ESCs.

John

Crikey mine's nuts! The same esc fitted to my sons Losi doesn't engage a drag brake at all.. First time I let go of the throttle on the Outlaw (doing the speed run) it hit the drag brake so abruptly it flung the buggy into series of summersaults. Hopefully the other one I've ordered (which has deans plug and single motor wiring) doesn't have the drag brake set up on it. 

There's a few videos on YouTube, just leading through them now.

edit - did u get a manual or some sort of instruction sheet with it? From reading a few threads elsewhere apparently they can be set up on initial use..

Edited by t2boats

I'll have to do a static demo with mine tomorrow as a comparison and post it up. Just out of interest, of the four leads from your esc which pair did you connect to your motor? Or more to the point which two wires? Can't remember which pairing I did now on mine, but I'm wondering if the programming of the drag brake effect will differ by selecting, for example, one of the red wires as apposed to the other..?! And by connecting one black wire (from one motor pair) and the red wire (from the other motor wires) will increase the effect of the drag brake..

I tried connecting the leads in different combinations and there wasn't any difference that I could see.  Will try a 3s tomorrow to see if it makes any difference. Wondering if there slightly different versions of the ESC that look the same on the outside but have internal differences?

John

Yes could be.. who knows how many factories these come from..?!  It's worth a try on 3S, perhaps you'll have the same results asme! I'll swap over the wires and see what happens. Odd how the other same esc doesn't behave as this one does.

Made a vid earlier of the difference between 2 and 3S Lipo on the Outlaw - but with sadly no real difference between the performance of the drag brake, it's still harsh on 2S. Surely there's a program card out there which can change the parameters..

I think I'll dig out some program cards after and try them, doubt they'll work though. Wondering if the on/off switch is perhaps something to do with it?? Then again, this is only a temporary esc until the ali mount arrives then it'll be brushless. So I could live with it for the time being, but then again I'm feeling driven to find out some info on them n program it.

I'll be giving mine a good stern test tomorrow, charging a few 3S batteries at the mo! I've sorted the hubs with ali replacements parts, but as was pointed out by a few people at the start of the Outlaw threads that the rear link arms seem debateable over their lifespan, I have my doubts over a few parts anyway - will have to control the landings well :rolleyes:  that's where I'll be ordering parts for next me thinks..

The carbon fibre chassis plate and aluminium side and upper plates would look nice but not really needed. Not at 110 quid that is :o The driveshaft is probably the most needed when putting more power through it. 

John

Edited by johninderby

The parts will be here by the weekend.....hopefully. Not sure if all the links need replacing but it can't hurt. Keeping the stock brackets though as they seem sturdy enough. Once I've got my hands on the parts will see just how much better they are. 

No change in the status of the motor from Germany. Still showing as being in the German hub.  :crying:

John

Edited by johninderby