• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Ultra-4 & Outlaw SCT Conversion

t2boats

On 26/02/2017 at 15:24, Isle of Wight Basher said:

Is the standard rear sway bar working ?

I ask this as I had to pay mine some attention after breaking both the bottom links and found that one of the top links wasn't gripping the sway bar itself, the problem being the standard plastic top links rely on a grub screw that tightens onto a flat on the sway bar. Not ideal as it can't be tightened up hard without stripping the threads in the link.

Methinks the option alloy sway bar upper links would be worthwhile, if only I could afford some !

Good shout on the sway bar links, I checked after you said this and one of mine is slipping.

Tightened up and see if it will hold when the new combo gets here :)

• Like 1

Might also fit a brace across right at the back. Noticed while playing that the side plate flexes and the sway bar then binds.

Which may be what forces it to slip in the first place. Shouldn't happen normally but if the axle moves while its pushed out of shape in a tumble something's got to give

Edited by Geeze

• 2 weeks later...

Had the Outlaw out n about today, thought I'd let it feel tarmac for the first time since its first speed trial when it was brushed..

Anyway, it was fully charged and ready to do a few warm up passes of the camera before giving it the beans on 3S, when this happened:

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

This is what the result looks like when an RC collides with a tyre on my Land Rover Discovery.. the GPS was saying 43mph on its fateful run past me and the camera before the horrid sound of CRUNNNCHHH... 

Need to order two new rear suspension arms (sway bars, trailing arms, whatever they're called) and that's it. Bought spare front suspension arms when getting the aluminium bits for it so I'm ok for those. 

Cause of the crash? Well, me if I'm honest lol.. thinking there was a car coming along the lane I quickly glanced in the other direction to see, taking my eyes off the path of the Outlaw for only a split second - but by the time I looked back it was too late... :wacko:  anyway, an easy fix, it'll be back in action very soon once the arms arrive.

At least I know what speed it had - and it wasn't even full throttle... 

Edited by t2boats

I thought it would've been a lot worse form hearing it - I had my eyes closed when I saw its direction, tried steering away but it just flipped and met more than it's match lol

13 minutes ago, t2boats said:

I thought it would've been a lot worse form hearing it - I had my eyes closed when I saw its direction, tried steering away but it just flipped and met more than it's match lol

My 1:1 Astra lost against a Land Rover, hardly surprising the Outlaw lost as well lol

Hmmmm... this should be straight I reckon :rolleyes:

IMG_1201.JPG

That's the front end back together anyway, will be ordering some rear trailing arms now.

Edited by t2boats

Repaired the Outlaw this morning after the usual rapid service from MS. Judging from the speed the Outlaw hit my Discovery, and the little damage it had to the rear trailing arms I've decided to stick with the plastic parts as they're cheap as chips and I like having a breaking point rather than having the more expensive ali parts which would bend, and then be useless. I've always been like that, never fitted ali front wishbones. Once ali RC parts are stressed n bent, it can't be straightened out as it'll simply snap, plus with only the end rose snapped on each trailing arm and the from wishbone snapped, I thought it did rather well considering the speed it was going. The crash proves that it's the arms which would break in that sort of impact, thankfully not what they're connected to.

Anyway, with it working I decided it was another opportunity to avoid the Land Rover and do a speed test... 

• Like 1

Yeah it becomes a trike :blink:  But immense fun.. it's not going full speed either...yet!

Been looking to custom make a rear anti role bar, like what I fitted to the front to help in the battle against the stupendous torque twist it creates under acceleration. Just need to buy a pair of servo arms of some sort and hinge points. But also, this morning while working on my 5b I picked up the Outlaw to replace the battery and began having a good look it. Particularly on the rear end. It turns out one of the little grub screws is loose on the sway bar set, so in effect the sway bar is doing naff all. Time for some threadlock I think!

• Like 1

Began fettling with the rear anti roll bar for the Outlaw today. Picked up a 3mm bar set off a Hyper9, reshaped the bar and began connecting the rose joints. I think this particular bar itself is slightly too short, just thought I'd shape things up anyway and see what fitment I can get. Got some longer lengths of 3mm arriving in the post soon. The only snag I can see so far (using this bar) is that it could strike the two Allen key screws pictured just above the bar on either side, this depends on how long I have each linkage piece. And on full suspension compression, in that position the rear prop shaft just quite doesn't touch the bar. The only downside with this kit is that it didn't come with the support mounting lugs :wacko:. Will carry on tomorrow with a few more pix!

IMG_1252.JPG

Edited by t2boats
  • Like 1

Great thread buddy, just read through it all and some nice upgrades for brushed version.....

Just wondering did you get round to putting the new carbon shell on?? Only asking as I have just bought the brushless version and I am looking at changing the shell also.

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Chris, glad you're liking the Outlaw! The other shell I've got is for another Outlaw (which I was fortunate to win on this forum) and I decided to do a conversion to an SCT. All I've done so far is offer the shell on to the mounts, I'll need to raise the rear stubby mounts to meet the shell and be able to protrude through it, and it's worth me increasing the distance between the front body posts to help support the shell a bit better. I'll try upload a pic but the wifi where I work is utter pants.... still a few bits n pieces to do on the SCT yet, but it'll look great when finished I hope. Have to lower the shell a bit on the rear and it needs two bumpers too. Also have a pair of wheels (same as what's on it) to go on the rear of the shell.

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

Edited by t2boats
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/04/2017 at 17:45, Chris Curby said:

Nice, certainly changes the look of the outlaw that's for sure....

Thanks Chris, I'm quite pleased with how it looks. It's been neglected for a while so haven't made any progress with it, too busy with work and other things. Hope to crack on with its rear body posts real soon, once that's on I'll be given a run!

Finally got around to some RC jobs today, took the Outlaw off its hangers on the shed wall and set about fitting the rear sway bar. 

After chewing over where to attach the bar to the chassis, I had to take into account its suspension travel and whether the rear prop shaft would impede/make contact with the bar travelling across the chassis. 

Originally I was looking to mount it ahead and towards the top of the rear trailing arm holders, but was wary over the stresses the two mounts would be put through and how long they would last. I also looked at mounting it to the upright main side frames leading up to the battery tray. But again there's not much meat there to support the forces from the bar when it's in action. Eventually, and I think it's a great place, is where you see in the pictures below. Kills two birds with one stone really by supporting the rear axle links to the trailing arm holders and offers an ideal location for the bar to travel through. Easy enough to do! And saves drilling elsewhere to mount it.

Earlier when fitted and under full compression of the shocks, the rear prop shaft juuuuust about touched the bar. Not wanting any contact this was easily cured by dropping the shocks down by one hole at the top, doesn't touch now. The car sits a few mm higher but hey ho, that doesn't bother me. 

At the moment I haven't trimmed down the stainless rod as I want to try different settings to see how it responds. Once I find the correct position, whether that's moving the lower rose joint along the trailing arm or moving the upper fitting along the sway bar arm, then I'll trim the bar down so it's equal on both sides. 

Hope to give it a run later today or tomorrow morning, will make a video of the results and post up the link to YouTube on here.

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tested the rear sway bar on the Outlaw yesterday, and I'm pleased with the immediate results! Need to go in search of better testing grounds though, the lane is a little too narrow..

Did a final run with the Outlaw this morning seen as the rain overnight had cleared up. Was chuffed to bits with the result in the end. Time now to return it to the dirt where it belongs!

• Like 1

Thanks john! I'm quite fond of the stock tyres offroad, they grip well so I'll probably stick with those, though I like the Rock Crusher XT's that are available for 2.2 wheels. Not really wanting to spend more money on it now as I think I've reached a nice point in proceedings. It will be having a new servo though, fairly brassed off that the Turnigy servo has started to behave like that...?! My other two are alright.

Chuffed to bits the rear sway bar is that effective, just goes to show that by moving the little link arms just a few mm's it would let the outlaw start to lift its front offside wheel. I'll be putting the short link arms further forwards again, looks better anyway when under acceleration with all 4 wheels on the ground.

Thats it for the tarmac testing now anyway on this rc, time to get it back in the dirty stuff and make some more interesting videos. 

Edited by t2boats
  • Like 2