• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outback Ranger

t2boats

Not to clued up on motors, diff and pinion gears etc I rely on a play mate, Isle of Wight Basher for all that info.

Diff guard was made from a Samsung hard plastic phone case which to my amazement has an aluminium back just under the plastic ???

1 hour ago, mamodman said:

How easy was it, and what grease did you use, did the pinion have a grub screw, read a thread that said some have the pinion just pressed on, Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Video looks good does it handle any better?

It was really straightforward, unplug the motor wires, undo the four screws that hold the gearbox, watching where the screws come from(2 are longer) take the pinion and spur gear case off, unbolt the motor and then fit the new motor and pinion. The ECX pinion came with a new grub screw, glad I was replacing the motor too as the old pinion and grub screw were not having any of it!! 

The rear axle was easy too, lots of little screws though. 

I used blue lithium grease (waterproof) 50g tub on eBay. 

Hello Wabon, that doesn't seem so bad except for the pinion removal I have just order 2 from USA, so very pleased to hear you couldn't get it off :crying: I also ordered a snorkel, when are you getting one of the???

Last night night I was surprised how hot the motor got thus the pinion order, don't think I've done so much to any other R C 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spiderman said:

Hi All

Well it's only taken me since January to master getting photos on here.

I've been side tracked with modifying and changing the two bodies on my Outlaw !!!

So here are some of my Landy Ranger.

The last two show the articulation without the rubber inner shocker tubes, 3 wheels on the ground and no fowling of the tyres.

Last photo is my daily transport.

John

IMG_3316.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3319.JPG

20160206_094858  small.jpg

Hi spiderman,

nice outback and that is some serious flex you can achieve there!  

Loving the 1:1 scale truck too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wabom1981 said:

Quick video of the outback with the new pinion on some of my indoor obstacles. 

Sorry for the shoddy camera work, camera one hand controller the other! Was a tad tricky

managed a nice slow crawl though. 

Nifty course you've made there, just so happens I chopped up an old wooden slatted bed frame this morning, it'll be ideal to make a few obstacles like that! Will knock one up tomorrow if the rains holds off, my son and I can test out our skills then!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, t2boats said:

Nifty course you've made there, just so happens I chopped up an old wooden slatted bed frame this morning, it'll be ideal to make a few obstacles like that! Will knock one up tomorrow if the rains holds off, my son and I can test out our skills then!

It's great fun to drive on and excellent driving practice, have got a few different obstacles that I can arrange in various combinations.  Look forward to seeing some pics of yours maybe??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mamodman said:

Hello Wabon, that doesn't seem so bad except for the pinion removal I have just order 2 from USA, so very pleased to hear you couldn't get it off :crying: I also ordered a snorkel, when are you getting one of the???

Last night night I was surprised how hot the motor got thus the pinion order, don't think I've done so much to any other R C 

Obviously I can't speak for your pinion gear removal but as they cost so little might be worth getting another motor too? Might save a bunch of stress and having the truck out of action? 

Im with you on the "don't think I've ever done so much" I can't help myself either it's so addictive! Good work on ordering your new pinions!

a snorkel you say? Hmmmmmm:P

• Like 1

Re the snorkel - As the House keeper in Father Ted says go on, go on, go on, you know you want to ! but yes I'll order a new motor 

• Like 2

That's been my problem ever since I got into RC cars in January this year !!!

Been into Model Boats Tugs And Gliders for years no problems because you're limited by the room they take up BUT car, well that's different matter?

Also have a Maverick Scout and Just Received A  FTX Carnage ( Don't Tell The Wife !!!!!! )

John

• Like 2

Hello spiderman, I do N gauge trains but a few years back got into RC tugs etc: just managed on the storage side, but then as I couldn't always get to the pond, I got a R C car, and it sort of grew, storage now a massive problem :unsure:, and outside brick/concrete shed is getting damp, I keep getting conflicting advice either heater or open vent so air flows, so am dreading the coming months....... thinking of putting boxes in loft, and saving some space that way, ot lose industrial site on layout and using space for storage

Hi mamodman,

I totally understand your situation and I would go with Cold and Well Ventilated.

I have a few friend with Railways in sheds and a couple in small Caravans, it appears that still air is always the problem so I would give it loads air movement, some vents down low to let in cooler air and quite a few up top to let the warm air out because where there's air there's water and they sweat ???

Unsealed boxes in the loft are fine if there's lots of ventilation but I think your outside shed would be fine if you left the door open when you can? 

I'm very lucky really as the small b/room is my modelling room and I have a HO railroad layout in the second bedroom hence me saying the don't tell the wife !!!!!

• Like 1

.Thanks for that John, we only have a 2 up 2 down small adapted house, but I'll try doing what you say and let you know how it goes, 

Terrifying, But I'm worried what's going to be compulsory in the future !!!

Here's my next project ( photos not mine ) but want to do something similar with my Carnage?

Thinking of Gloss Black and Lime green ???

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

I reread 1984 last year, it was really terrifying how true Orwell's ideas were, especially thought police, and everyone thinking and saying the same thing, and when you think of this PC that's taking over, I worry for the Grandsons,

That's one awesome looing beast, lime green and black look good together, poor example - but you get the idea

Image result for skull crusher monster car

Well we share the same sentiments !!!

2 Plus 2 equals whatever they want it to ?

Love the Skull Truck but not very aero dynamic ?

Was tempted to paint the Landy Ranger Like This But Thought Better Of It.

Love Wabom1981 assault course, think I may have to make one myself, it would certainly help with the slow control etc.

So many great inputs on here and I love seeing what all the others are up to.

We never stop learning.

$_573.jpg

• Like 1

To do a Landy in that colour

2 minutes ago, spiderman said:

So true, but to paiint a Landy like that would be asking for trouble - you'd stick out like a sore thumb!

I said quite a few posts ago you can learn so much on this forum, and chat with like minded people and of course have a laugh#

Fred

1 hour ago, Wabom1981 said:

It's great fun to drive on and excellent driving practice, have got a few different obstacles that I can arrange in various combinations.  Look forward to seeing some pics of yours maybe??

Yeah I'll get something knocked up! Will make a video, see how we both do...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spiderman said:

Love the Skull Truck but not very aero dynamic ?

Was tempted to paint the Landy Ranger Like This But Thought Better Of It.

Love Wabom1981 assault course, think I may have to make one myself, it would certainly help with the slow control etc.

So many great inputs on here and I love seeing what all the others are up to.

We never stop learning.

$_573.jpg

Strewth! That poor 90 Defender resembles a liquorice alsort! (I can't really talk, I was once the proud owner of a pink [more puce I reckon] Hillman Avenger Tiger... I was contemplating spraying it black but leaving the inside of the door rims and under the bonnet n boot pink, sorry Puse!) 

I hope this rain abates for tomorrow so we can get out to try my sons Tundra, he's really eager. He's become bored of driving it over the dog and cushions now (she's become tiresome of it too!) haha.. 

• Like 2

O to be that age again, Bless him and tell him HAPPY BIRTHDAY from all the big kids on here :hppybday:

Edited by mamodman
  • Like 1

NO WAY :crybaby:  come to use my Outback this morning and the motor is completely dead... something dodgy going on with the positive wire cos if you wiggle it (on the motor) it'll work then cut out.. I think it's more than likely an internal fault with the motor as the wiring has never been disturbed. anyway, a few quid later and one will be here either tomorrow or Wednesday! Though I must admit, I was weighing up at fitting a 540 can motor. Wonder if the stock esc combo can handle a 540..?

Otherwise ive had the kids hard at work sorting out my man cave with me, I've got far too many RC cars :huh:  been hanging the stragglers up on the shed walls and doors. All cleared now so I can at least drive my motorbike in from out the weather! 

Sun is starting to come out now so might crack on with the crawler course later on.

• Like 1

That is a real shame for you all, I can't see any problem with the stock esc taking it, have a word with John, he is usually well up in these things, hope the new motor comes soon and the pair of you can have a bash so thrash round together :thumbsup:

• Like 2