• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas slash

So I'm looking to get my first short course truck and was looking at the Traxxas slash but I'm unsure what to get as I've done a bit of research and they can range between £200 - £500 and can't seem to find a lot of difference. 

Can anyone that's owned a slash point me in the right direction at what is better 2wd/4wd etc?

Thanks in advance. 

The price differences refer to different models and equipment.

you have the 1/16th scale Slash which is the cheapest and smallest. You then have two versions of the 1/10th. The 2wd one comes in two varieties. One has a Brushed motor and speed controller, the more expensive has a More powerful brushless system, called the VXL. 

The 4x4 is only avaliable as a brushless VXL model. There is the base RTR with different shells, then there is a platinum edition which comes with upgrades but no radio gear. The top end one is the Ultimte which is a platinum edition with a radio gear.

Other differences are some will have a TSM radio gear, this is sort of like stability control for your RC built into the radio gear. Anything that mentions OBA means it has a speaker that plays real engine noises. That's really lame IMO.

what ones best depends on you. I have plenty of recievers, so the Platinum was the best choice for me, I got all the upgrades and didn't have to pay for the RTR radio. I then also got an Ultimate because it came up cheap. It all depends on your budget. For me I'd only go with a 4wd,

4wd is more complicated, takes longer to service and can cost more to repair..... 

Currently, I rate the Helion Four10 SC over the Slash, of course being 4wd, the above apply, however, Helion spares are cheap. ;)

I have a 2wd slash(brushed xl5 spec) and it's a blast! I brought it off eBay cheap and stuck a 2s lipo in it and was off. The handling is the big draw back as it is easy to roll but was fun to bash with and I ran it stock for about a year. I then upgraded the heck out of it with rpm parts, brushless motor, pro line wheels and tyres but the best upgrade is the LCG chassis! The chassis upgrade transformed the handling.

ebay and Internet shops are full off parts for the slash so no need to worry about spares but when mine was stock I only broke one shock absorber!

They Slash's are hardy trucks but have you thought about a HPI Blitz?  I have had both and the Blitz handles so much better but is still tough as old boots and the Diff is virtually bomb proof!.  Well, mine was.
They make a Great basher and if you wanted to,not a bad racer. You wouldnt want to race a Slash without some serious mods.