• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Get well soon Garry

Rover Man

Always happy to see you dabbling in RC Garry. :) I think it's time for a new thread for a new chapter though! :D

I've been enjoying just crawling around in my garden (with an RC!!!) over lockdown, it's more technical than anything else I've done so have to use the finger skills a bit more to tackle obstacles.

Was just shooting ideas, if you're happy with what you got there isn't really a point anyway. 

I'm lazy, so i probably would've just used the sprung stick on an air radio. Happy to see RCs being therapeutic. 

Glad to see you're not giving in, not letting it beat you. It's a long road, but at least you're not alone. 

My mother had a major embolism two years ago, a clot in the brain stem, total brain shutdown. If my father hadn't been in the house, she'd have been a goner. Thankfully he was close by, made the call and paramedics were there in four minutes. We've got roughly 80 to 85% of her back. 

Where were you when it happened? If you don't mind me asking. 

56 minutes ago, Tug said:

Glad to see you're not giving in, not letting it beat you. It's a long road, but at least you're not alone. 

My mother had a major embolism two years ago, a clot in the brain stem, total brain shutdown. If my father hadn't been in the house, she'd have been a goner. Thankfully he was close by, made the call and paramedics were there in four minutes. We've got roughly 80 to 85% of her back. 

Where were you when it happened? If you don't mind me asking. 

I'd put myself at 70% back mentally, 40% physically. I was lucky in that the hemisphere affected mostly deals with mobility and not cognition. I've wondered if I'd have preferred the other side of my brain to be be the affected side and be "less there" in my head but be able to walk fine?  Probably not. 

I was actually at work when it happened. I started to notice I was beginning to lose the power of grip in my left hand. Knowing something wasn't quite right I pulled out my phone and recorded myself saying "how now brown cow" and "the quick brown fox" rhymes to see if I could spot any slurring speech. It wasn't that noticeable but got  help anyway and was sat in hospital withing 30mins. That is really why I've still here I think. I've got a photo of the MRI of the bleed and it wasn't a small one 👀

What made you think it was serious enough to go to hospital just from losing the grip of your left hand? And also knowing to test your speech? I find that quite interesting, I'm not sure I'd instantly assume it was a stroke being put in the same position.

Is it one of those things you just sense is not right?

1 hour ago, Nick said:

What made you think it was serious enough to go to hospital just from losing the grip of your left hand? And also knowing to test your speech? I find that quite interesting, I'm not sure I'd instantly assume it was a stroke being put in the same position.

Is it one of those things you just sense is not right?

Years of seeing the TV adverts where the bloke has a fire in his forehead at a football match, I'm sure we've seen it. The slogan at the end is FAST which stands for:

FACE - is the face dropped on one side? 

SPEECH - is the speech slurred? 

ARMS - can they grip? Can they lift their arms? 

TIME - time to act, Get help. 

I had all the signs above except the speech at the moment so I knew I needed to sort the fast developing problem I was having. I initially shrugged it off at swore at myself for dropping what I was holding twice in a row but remembering the TV advert I knew it wasn't going to resolve itself by itself like a bump or graze. I needed help. 

I don't actually remember much about the rest of the day but apparently it involved 2 surgeries, craniotomy and tracheotomy which were a bit gory. So pretty eventful overall.

• Like 2

Yeah, I've made a point of remembering the adverts, not because of mum, just thought I should keep it memorized. 

Glad you're on the mend, can't be easy. 

Edited by Tug
  • Like 2