• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How do you store your lipos?

J.K

I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this about 12 months ago but I can't find it!

Admittedly, i'm slowly drifting away from nitro and have found myself with a growing pile of lipo's. I took a look at them all piled up in the bottom of a wardrobe and i'm thinking there must be safer way of storing them when not in use!

I remember reading people using ammo tins as the best way to store them - is this still the case? How do you store yours safely?

All mine are stored at storage voltage in lipo bags. So people use ammo or cash tins, some even put a small bag of sand stuck to the top so if a battery goes up it burns through the bag and drops the sand on it.

I really should address this, I've got some under the stairs, some in the loft, some in the dining room, kinda spread out. The thing is, a healthy lipo shouldn't just "let go" for no reason.

Lithium cells are in devices all around our homes, but we don't concern ourselves with those. Is there a reason for that? Are Lithium Ion cells safer? 

As for "where's best?" I don't like leaving them in frosty environments, so during the winter they're definitely staying indoors, or I'll rig up a frost stat controlled heater for the shed. Losing a few bikes is preferable to losing the house and/or precious loved ones. 

• Like 1

I read ages ago that cold is no enemy of lipos. mine stay in a drill box which seals well and stays in the cellar bit under the kitchen.

Tug you have a point about the amount of things that contain various cells in our houses, but our RC lipos get bashed around a lot more, so I think its wise to give them a bit more care

Mine are currently dotted around me on the shelves in my man-cave mostly in my RC's but some just around.

However the way I see it is they are also dotted around the house in the families phones, tablets, laptops, some of the kids toys etc. And the big difference there is my RC lipos are decent quality, balanced charged with a proper well built RC charger. They are checked for puffing, dead packs are properly disposed of etc. Whereas say the tablets are fitted with no idea what, charged with any old cheap USB charger and there is no monitoring at all.

I'm pretty sure the least dangerous batteries in the house are my rc ones......

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stretch said:

Yeah I wouldn't want to lose any of my rc's either.

Yeah, I was talking about the kids, but I wouldn't ever stack my trucks with the lipos if I thought there was a chance of losing the fleet because of one faulty cell! That really would be a crushing blow! However, the toys are just trinkets, a small distraction from the daily grind. They're all replaceable, Team Wilson are not. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Had a couple of hundred lipos and only ever had one puff up while in storage.  And at the moment i use 3 ammo tins. also for safety after i use a lipo i put it in a lipo sack then in the tin. Reason for this is if the lipo was strained while running it there is a good chance of it going bad within a couple of days.  Better to be safe

Just now, turok007 said:

Had a couple of hundred lipos and only ever had one puff up while in storage.  And at the moment i use 3 ammo tins. also for safety after i use a lipo i put it in a lipo sack then in the tin. Reason for this is if the lipo was strained while running it there is a good chance of it going bad within a couple of days.  Better to be safe

I'm sorry to say this, but as you've been labeled a "noob", I can't possibly trust any of what you've just said! :36_11_6[1]:

• Like 3

Mine are in an ammo tin, in fact they're in two, main reasons aren't really for them going up randomly, it's if they get pierced.

I agree, lots of devices have them, but how many of them are exposed? None that spring to mind.

If I drop my phone onto something sharp or drop something sharp onto it, it'll damage the plastic and/or screen.

If I drop a LiPo onto something sharp or drop something sharp onto it and it damages it, it could easily go up because it's exposed.

I do think people can be over cautious of LiPos, but theirs no harm at all in storing them somewhere that they're not at least exposed.

Ironically as I type that, I've just spotted one on my TV cabinet I keep meaning to solder and keep forgetting, it's probably been there about a month, thankfully nothing can fall onto it though, so no biggie.

For me, ammo tins win, safe for storage and safe way tgo transport several, from getting knocked around in the boot of the car.

Frankly, wherever I please. Have plenty sitting about on cardboard boxes as well as in metal cases and lipo bags, all in the house. In the same room. 

Never had a stored pack go bad, never charge 'em in a lipo sack, never leave 'em in the rigs. The exception is my TX pack which invariably ends up being left unplugged in the TX (where it is now) and seldom gets storage charged anyway.

Not saying the above is right, just what I choose to do. 

Must admit that's a good point above, I never charge in LiPo sacks either, I think the whole practice is silly.

Prefer to see it puffing and/or smoking at the first possible chance, rather than wait until it's too late and you notice the sack burning or smoking like hell.

I just charge on a tray then I can chuck it out if needs be.

I keep thinking that I should get my LiPos in from Mum's workshop and put them on storage but "Meh". Guess my head is in the shed atm.

I always storage charge (except the TX pack, which is abused).

Think about trays to charge on, then put oven chips and other, processed food on them and that is that.

Perhaps this day will be 'rued'......:whistling:

Just now, Noj said:

I always storage charge (except the TX pack, which is abused).

Think about trays to charge on, then put oven chips and other, processed food on them and that is that.

Perhaps this day will be 'rued'......:whistling:

"Rueing" is a waste of time :boredlook:

Some good point raised, cheers all for the feedback! I guess at the end of the day, even a AA will go up if not treated correctly. I bought some lipo sacks for charging but never use them either - I only charge at 1C and still want to be able to touch them from time to time during charging to check temps.

The majority of my packs started life in a cardboard box rolling around the back of a red van - I guess they'll be fine at the bottom of my wardrobe! :lol:

Edited by James1986

Ammo tins and this strange red barrel shaped tin I got from War and Peace once, in the shed usually. I'll keep them inside during the winter if it's cold. I do treat them pretty well though, cycle them if they've not been used for 3-4 months and generally only get hard cases, charge at 1C only, have the LVCs set to 3.4 etc.

comment on batteries on other devices...

tablet manufacturers will spend a lot of time and effort making sure the batteries and charging in them are sound and safe. Also look at the size of them. The weight of lipo in an  phone or tablet is tiny versus the amount in some 4S 5000mah brick. like 10 , 20 or 30 x less in the phone. That is a lot less chemical energy.

me? batteries at storage charge in the garage.

Also, let's not forget that the lithium ion batteries commonly found in phones, laptops, etc are significantly less volatile than lithium polymer batteries used in RCs.

And considering how seriously a venting Li-ion laptop battery is treated at the repair centre where I work, there is no way in the seven circles of hell that I would risk my home and family by having a LiPo stored in the house unprotected.

But hey, that's just me. Perhaps I am just abnormally averse to a fiery death. :D

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Twist said:

Guys, is this only for long term storage? How do you store if youre using every couple weeks?

60% of the stated capacity. Or thereabouts. 

• Like 1