• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Are there lighter wheels/tyres available for Losi 5ive

losi8igh

Picked my Losi 5ive last night and was very unprepared for the size and weight of it despite what you see/hear/read :)

I did notice though that the stock wheels and tyres appear to be very heavy on their own.

I have seen some one piece wheels on Freeprawn website that have glue on tyres.

Has anyone used these or come across a lighter alternative?

If all else fails I might just wait and get the ones off the forth coming 5ive buggy.

Edited by losi8igh

Anything glued should weigh less than stock.

Nutech wheels and boots are ok (check rc-car-online.de), although the foams are poor and would need replacing.

The GRP wheels and tyres are very nice and weigh less than stockers...I believe Nige has sold many pairs already.

1 hour ago, Noj said:

Anything glued should weigh less than stock.

Nutech wheels and boots are ok (check rc-car-online.de), although the foams are poor and would need replacing.

The GRP wheels and tyres are very nice and weigh less than stockers...I believe Nige has sold many pairs already.

Do you happen to know when he's getting any 24mm hex wheels back in stock?

Also, is there any recommended glue?

It's been quite some time since I glued wheels/tyres of any size, but I imagine they'll be under some extra stress from a 5ive.

Thin CA (like Zap) is recommended, medium CA if thin scares the pants off you.

24mm hex will be back in stock next week; the supplies received thus far have flown out....

For reference, a full set of 5ive nomads, mounted, weigh 2.4kg, the GRP set wigh 1.670kg, so a big weight saving.

HTH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noj said:

For reference, a full set of 5ive nomads, mounted, weigh 2.4kg, the GRP set wigh 1.670kg, so a big weight saving.

HTH

Thats is a big difference,certainly some weight can be saved there,thats for sure.

Before swapping out the OEM wheels to a set of lightweight ones... consider how and where you will be driving your 5ive.

If planning on any kind of bashing I'd stick with the OEM's unless you like replacing wheels on a regular basis. If you are converting your 5ive T to a 'lightweight' or buggy and running on a fairly level track then crack on - that's what those glue on wheels are designed for :)

For me personally it's bashing, but not really beating the snot out of it, just jumping (with mostly smooth landings) and fairly well groomed grass/dirt, so I reckon they should be good, but having just splurged on a servo and some other bits I'm going to hold off for a while anyway and let my money recoup a bit.

50 minutes ago, (-:AD:-) said:

Beware, you'll probably need extender...

Agreed, those rims are 8mm narrower than stock, so will foul if used without extenders, which adds back some of the weight you wish to lose.

I do question why you are changing? The 5ive is a big ass rig and that's why it works so well....for a basher, keep it strong and don't worry: a good 29cc lump or bigger hauls a 5ive around perfectly well on stock rims....perhaps run it for a wee while before making the decision? 

11 minutes ago, Noj said:

Agreed, those rims are 8mm narrower than stock, so will foul if used without extenders, which adds back some of the weight you wish to lose.

I do question why you are changing? The 5ive is a big ass rig and that's why it works so well....for a basher, keep it strong and don't worry: a good 29cc lump or bigger hauls a 5ive around perfectly well on stock rims....perhaps run it for a wee while before making the decision? 

It was just a thought :)

I stripped the engine and fuel tank off the other day when I got it home and it was still dam heavy,when I took the wheels/tyres off I was surprised how much they weighed.

I would have thought any reduction in rotating mass would have been a benefit even if in stock form the car manages as it is with it's current wheels/tyres.