• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

savage flux help/info on 17mm hexs needed

scotty1986

hi all ,, after some info if anyone can help,, i brought the 1/5 alza project from the fs section a few days ago and should be here monday,, ive ordered some 17mm hex wheels ,, but now i need hexs for it,, i want proper hexs not the hpi set with the flanged 6mm nut or whatever size is it,,  ideally id like to add a bit more width if possible,, now ive been looking about and from wht ive seen there is 2 different stub axles on the savages and im not sure what are on this one as the chap has now removed the pics etc from the listing,,

the only thing i do know is he offered me a set of baja wheels and the hexs he ran on it for extra cash but i wanted to run 8th wheels and tires due to less strain on the diffs etc,,, so going by the fact he had baja conversions on it,, what proper 17mm hex kit would fit straight on??not interested in hot racing ones as had them on a old flux and i didnt rate them tbh ,, ive found some on blacksmitch products,, not sure if they will work but ill put the link on here at the end so iff you have any suggestions that would be great,,

thanks in advance

http://www.blacksmithproducts.co.uk/products.asp?cat=243&pg=7   its the black ones im looking at getting with the 2.5mm pin i believe thats the right size for a savage axle ,, please correct me if im wrong

i put on the post im not wanting hot racing ones bud,, i had some on a flux before before and still stripped a wheel and it also took the edges off the hex to so they wasnt much good after so looking for a alternative tbh plus the hot racing are only about a 5mm extension aint they mate??

These are what I run on my XL

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/258090/?gclid=CPHt6Im168wCFRUW0wodgQsJZg

legit ones. Work well. Well worth the money. 

Best way for width wouldve been to get offset wheels. I run a combination of XL axles, HPI 17mm hexes and offset wheels. Im on mobile but i havr pictures in a thread called wheel opinions in general RC To show what they look like on a fifth scale. 

I was very tempted by that Savage but we couldnt come to an agreement on price so I bought the other one. 

Edited by Guns

yeah ive brought some proline full offset wheels with maxx mulcher tires ,, to add more width just wanted to add a bit more tbh ,, ive got most the stuff to build the savage up as ive been out the hobby for a good 10 months now but sice buying the savage i brought the leccys for it and radio gear,, brought wheels,, brought tools,, just need to order lipos and a charger and wheels hexs

Savage axles are 6mm so those blacksmith axle extenders wont fit as they are 8mm.

Integy have 6mm, 12mm and 18mm offset, Hot Racing is 6mm I think.

I've also used Hyper 17mm hexes with a nut on a Savage, no added offset though. Have to file the back of the hex down. Cheapest option this is at about £6-7.

Also been using Integy 12mm offset, about £30.

Not had a problem with Hot Racing ones, something must have gone wrong with yours.

1 hour ago, locky said:

Savage axles are 6mm so those blacksmith axle extenders wont fit as they are 8mm.

Integy have 6mm, 12mm and 18mm offset, Hot Racing is 6mm I think.

I've also used Hyper 17mm hexes with a nut on a Savage, no added offset though. Have to file the back of the hex down. Cheapest option this is at about £6-7.

Also been using Integy 12mm offset, about £30.

Not had a problem with Hot Racing ones, something must have gone wrong with yours.

My bad i thought savage axles was 8mm  , was i right in thinking there is 2 different axles ?? One with a grub screw to hold the pin and normal axle with 

You wouldnt believe ive had about 6 savages in the past on my last flux i remember fitting 23mm hexs and the nut that held them on sat inside the hex and i still used a enclosed nut , where as if i used 17mm hecs tje same way i wouldnt be able to ise a enclosed nut as the nut holding the hex would be outside due to it being too big to fit inside the 17mm hex is that right?? I obviously dont want it to look like a bodge with a small nut showing 

The Flux/XL axles have bigger cups to take the bigger dog bones, but I believe they are 6mm diameter, which is measured where the wheel locates.

8mm diameter is the bearing part. 

Edited by locky