• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Airbrush and Compressor for RC bodyshell painting

Kpowell911

20 hours ago, Fullerpaint said:

Hello,

Sorry only just seen this thread.

If you take a look in the gallery section I have a thread called FullerPaint and all those shells I have painted are painted with a AS186 Airbrush compressor (The one you linked yourself) .

https://www.everythingairbrush.com/compressors/as-series-compressors/ab-as186-mini-piston-type-0n-demand-compressor-with-receiver-for-airbrushing.html

I also paint with a budget airbrush called a HS-30 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HS30-Gravity-Feed-d-Action-Airbrush-/120804141262?hash=item1c207ce8ce:g:LfcAAOSw585WUaXQ

Aslong as you look after the airbrush and using water based paints (like faskolor/createx and auto air) will help, it should be fine. The trigger might start to develop a little bit of play about 20 shells are in but doesn't effect anything.

So this setup comes to about £85...

It's all about your ability and everyone sucks at first (including me) ... although I'm not saying I wouldn't want a Iwata HP-CH and Bambi compressor to make life easier for my hobby :)

Please message me if you need any help.

I appreciate this mate.

Thing is, the biggest thing Ive taken from this thread, is prep time. I need to spend a bit more time and care with my shells, and that would be trippled with an airbrush. Ive ordered another shell, Im going to really prep and take my time and see how that ends up.

4 hours ago, Guns said:

I appreciate this mate.

Thing is, the biggest thing Ive taken from this thread, is prep time. I need to spend a bit more time and care with my shells, and that would be trippled with an airbrush. Ive ordered another shell, Im going to really prep and take my time and see how that ends up.

You're are right that prep work before painting is everything... are you using masking fluid or masking tape?

However, spray cans are not your friend in that respect, as you can't control the accurate direction or pressure , so you are liable to bleeds and also to point the obvious out again - wasting paint. 

With an airbrush (although you will need to learn and practise airbrush control) you only use the paint you need, control the direction and pressure,  and also if you used water based paint,  the main point probably should be - it's better for your long term health. 

Anyway all the best with your next shell 

Edited by Fullerpaint
Typo

My last shell was single colour, only masks were windows, it didnt turn out well due to poor prep. Ive had to buy another one, its quite a rare Tamiya one too.

I would probably paint 5 shells a year, so its not really necessary, Ive just always wanted to airbrush!

• 4 weeks later...

Can it be used for airbrushing = yes, would I want to = No.

Purely because I airbrush inside the house, so noise is a huge factor for me. (I only use water based paints so no health issues)...I'll bet this is a noisy compressor, certainly one that you would soon be fed up with if running just beside where you are spraying!

If you plan on using the compressor in the garage/man cave or outdoors, then noise is probably less of an issue for you (if you have a long enough hose). It has a decent size receiver/tank so if painting using an airbrush the motor won't actually be running that much as the air volume used by airbrushes is relatively small.

The image does not show a water trap, so you'd need to purchase one, but then again I can confidently say that you would also need to buy a 1/8" reducer, plus quick release hose attachment etc, so buying a water trap is just another item needed.

I'm guessing that there is no hose with this compressor (and if there is it will be too big for an airbrush), so you'd need to factor in a nice braided 1/4" hose of suitable length.

To be honest the compressor shown is probably more better suited for a LVLP spot repair spray gun, which if you are only spraying shells in single colours and don't need the finesse of an airbrush, then the compressor is probably better for you than a dedicated airbrush compressor. 

Thinking of going for it....

Id possibly get this airbrush which comes with a hose?:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28719__Twin_Action_Air_Brush_Set_UK_Warehouse_.html

This is a water trap Id guess?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-Mini-Airbrush-Air-Filter-Moisture-Filter-Water-Trap-Spray-/131810504375?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Im not sure what size reducer I'd need? any ideas?

Way I see it u turn on that compressor, fill the tank and I doubt it will kick back on.  In effect , very quite most of the time.

That water trap will be ok at the gun end of the line, but I'd get a bigger one connected at the compressor end too.

You won't be happy with the water trap on the bottom feed of the airbrush...it will get in the way and make it unwieldy.

You only need one at the compressor end.

The 'free' hose that comes with the airbrush you linked to is rather short, I use 3m long ones and I have the compressor adjacent to where I spray. 6' is almost certainly going to be too short for you.

eBay is your friend when it comes to adaptors, most (but not all) airbrushes will have 1/8" BSP male, most (but not all) braided airlines will have 1/8" BSP female either end.

I don't know what the threaded connector is on this particular compressor, it could be 1/4" BSP, 3/8" BSP, or (very unlikely on a small compressor such as this) 1/2" BSP. So you will most likely need a male/female adaptor of the right size.

A veritable minefield ;)

Edited by Bunny_Basher
Emoticon added

The issue with BSP sizing is that it's not the same as sizing a bolt...

BSP (British Standard Pipe) refers to the bore diameter of the pipe/hose, not a measure of the thread. So, a male 1/8" BSP connector will measure approx 3/8" or 9mm OD, with a 1/4" BSP will measuring approx 1/2" or 12mm.

Have fun :)

Edited by Bunny_Basher

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Bit confused, why would I want to be 3m away from the compressor?

If compressor is located on the floor, you could easily be 4' of a 6' hose just to get to the level of your workbench, giving you 2' of free hose to work with (which in my opinion is not enough).

Hoses (especially small dia braided ones) are cheap enough, so buy one slightly longer than you think you need - trust me, its better to be too long vs too short ;)