• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

tamiya rc kits good or not????

rob bark

59 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

Tamiya offer a range of products from vintage re-releases such as the Lunchbox, through basic but solid entry-level cars like the TT range, competitive club-level racers such as the TA range, right up to world championship winners in the TRF range.

Tamiya models will be more expensive than HobbyKing knockoffs of similar spec, but then the quality of materials, fit, long-term parts support, etc will also be better. I would argue that a waste of money would be getting a cheap knockoff that breaks in no time and then cannot be fixed because the parts have been discontinued...

Hobbyking knock off was more of a 'If a £50 touring car can come with bearings and oil filled shocks, why doesn't the £100+ TT01 for example.

TT and TA are ridiculously over priced for what they are, Tamiya are living of their name so will get away with this. There is ZERO excuse for friction dampers and plastic bushings in 2016.

The Vintage range, whilst not for me are a great idea, but Tamiya are simply conning people with their entry level TT range kits, and ripping people off with their TA kits. 

Tamiya have gone from my favourite ever company (company, not just RC, company full stop) to one where I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they disappeared tomorrow.

All In my opinion. 

• Like 1

the way I see it if Tamiya stuff was that bad people wouldn't buy it an they would have gone down the pan years ago!! I'm after a lunch box for example an any thing for that same sort of price looks a bit naff to be honest!! I'm wanting to buy a kit that in 3 years I smash into a wall I know I can find spare parts for!! There seems to be to many brands that are just rebranded an sold on I different colours!! So if you don't like them why bother to come onto a forum an moan about them!!!!!

3 hours ago, Guns said:

There is ZERO excuse for friction dampers and plastic bushings in 2016.

Correct, 100%. I've been saying this for several years. This MUST be addressed, and without a price hike. There is no excuse.

But, Tamiya still have an appeal that is lacking in pretty-much all other manufacturers... and it's something you can't quite put your finger on! Is it nostalgia? Possibly, but then I do not remember the Monster Beetle, as I was born in '87, but I still want a re-release Monster Beetle!

To me, it's the scope of the upgrades available, the limitless potential to turn it into literally anything you want, with any look, any colour scheme, any theme, any useage on any terrain in mind! No other company has this: Axial and Traxxas products need modifications out of the box, but those are essential fixes, not unique mods, nor unique expressions of your own tastes and wants. Losi and Associated products can be modified to make them better, but it's mostly in the pursuit of handling and performance... again, not an expression of "you", it's all about chasing the "next level".

Tamiya, is simply different. Performance takes a back-seat. It's like Warhammer models, or collectibles, or display models. Only these take it even further, and actually do something. Alun from Tay Models summed it up perfectly: "Losi make RC cars, Tamiya make RC models".

Edited by Praet0r87
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

Bearings - rubber sealed Lunchbox bearing set from RCbearings:

http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=Lunchbox&product_id=45

Shocks- Tamiya CVA short shock set P/N 84365 from Vintage Tamiya Parts on EBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-84365-Lunchbox-Midnight-Pumpkin-CW01-CVA-Short-Shock-Unit-Set-11-NIP-/311504162382

cheers dude I was looking at some absima shocks!!! As they seem to quite popular but will give these a look thanks

So if you don't like them why bother to come onto a forum an moan about them!!!!!

Im not usually one to defend people, but to be perfectly fair, he is allowed his 'moan' about them, he does have a valid point in what he is saying.

Alun from Tay Models summed it up perfectly: "Losi make RC cars, Tamiya make RC models".

Having spent ages sourcing the right parts and finding the right body for my Tamiya, it is quite happily sat on the shelf looking smart in the living room, where it shall stay, and maybe venture around the living room floor every once in a while, whereas my Hyper 10TT shall spend the remainder of its life eating tyres and bringing a huge smile every time I thrash it around outside.

• Like 1

Myself also, agreeing with the valid points made about the lack of progression.

My Holiday Buggy brings more true joy than anything else I own and demands very, very little in return...I could replace the whole rolling chassis, including fresh bearings and some hop ups for less than the cost of a TR Quick Diff on a Badger ;)

Anyhoo, shocks: shop around for the Tamiya CVA's, prices can vary dramatically..... Absima shocks are OK for the money, I do think they are too heavily sprung for a LB though....

Team Associated Green Slime - no RCer should be without a tube of this. Apply to shock (and other) o'rings when building, keeps them supple and dirt resistant for a long time. Tamiya red o'rings are also particularly good for 1/10th shocks...

http://www.freeprawnracing.co.uk/green-slime-shock-lube-as1105.html

I purchased a midnight pumpkin last year for something to play with in the garden.... I've also purchased a second hand lunchbox from eBay...all tricked up and with controller for £65 :D:D:D

Love 'em. 

Get a few extra batteries!!! 

3 hours ago, rob bark said:

cheers dude I was looking at some absima shocks!!! As they seem to quite popular but will give these a look thanks

Absima shocks aren't bad - they benefit from a rebuild with upgraded shaft seals, but once that is done they are every bit as smooth as CVAs. I use them on several of my cars to good effect.

However the reason I suggest getting the official Tamiya CVA upgrade is that the friction shocks on a standard Lunchbox mount differently to most oil shocks including the Absimas. The Tamiya CVAs come with the necessary mounting hardware, whereas if you went for the Absimas, you'd need to source the mounting brackets, bolts, etc. separately.

People buy Tamiya's because they look great. Nobody does shells like Tamiya, they are true works of art.

The same goes for manuals, packaging etc - it is all slickly done. The finished product always goes together well and although plastic tends to feel pretty robust. Sat on a shelf they seem reasonable - but the spec for the price is never good, so if you run the car it is always an expensive proposition.

As a nice case to point on this my club has been running our own little retro monster race in between the heats and finals kind of like the one above. We've got a mix of Lunchboxes, Monster Beetles and a Wild Willy - its all a good laugh. That is until I put them against my HPI Wheely King. At £179 RTR its a similar price to getting a Monster Beetle running, but its 4wd, handles better, has a more realistic looking chassis, can cross rougher terrain, is waterproof and it can swim! Basically all the fun bits of a Lunchbox (it can still do comedy wheelies if you want), but with decent off road performance too. After one race it was clear it outclassed the others by miles - whilst still being just as much fun.

With something like the Lunchbox performance comes second to fun, and that is a good thing. But I'd happily argue the Wheely King does the same, but its much better at it. People buy the Lunchbox because they wanted one as a kid, you buy a Wheely King if you want a good fun truck.....

19 hours ago, rob bark said:

the way I see it if Tamiya stuff was that bad people wouldn't buy it an they would have gone down the pan years ago!! I'm after a lunch box for example an any thing for that same sort of price looks a bit naff to be honest!! I'm wanting to buy a kit that in 3 years I smash into a wall I know I can find spare parts for!! There seems to be to many brands that are just rebranded an sold on I different colours!! So if you don't like them why bother to come onto a forum an moan about them!!!!!

"tamiya rc kits good or not?????" Your words. Not mine. I presumed you came on here to ask for opinions to enable you to make the right choice of car. I am very sorry for giving you my opinion. That you asked for. Positively or negatively..... I could lie to you if thats what you want to hear and tell you how friction dampers and plastic bushes are the latest cutting edge in technology and performance? But surely asking on a forum you were after honest replies?

Edited by Guns
  • Like 2

If the Lunchbox appeals, you might also be interested in Tamico's current offer of the week:

http://tamico.de/Tamiya-Mercedes-Benz-Unimog-406-U900-CW-01-Bausatz-58557_1

The chassis is the same as used on the Lunchbox, but the lighter polycarbonate Unimog bodyshell gives a lower centre of gravity enhancing stability, and since polycarbonate bodyshells are painted on the inside, it will not get as scratched up if you do flip/roll it.

Edited by XV Pilot

Tamiya has always been timeless. Look at the support it offers still for its models produced 35 years ago courtesy of the re releases.

I too used to bemoan plastic bushes until the other day I stripped one of the kids cars that had a load of resistance and I think I finally got it;

large.image.jpeg.6daec9968ae21291cfc0133

Ok, so it's embarrasing that they're in this condition and they've now been replaced with rubber sealed ones, but the fact is metal bearings creates a maintenance factor that doesn't really exist with plastic bushings for general bashing about. So if you have kids and all sorts, who aren't going to be fastidiously stripping down their cars and cleaning etc, and who also love puddles and the like, what Tamiya have done is provide a model which out of the box can be run through water, sit on a shelf for 30 years, then plug in a battery and it will be just like the day you put it away. That's impressive and things like this make Tamiya the timeless RC stanchion that they've always been.

Oil dampers would be nice yes, but many of their kits do come with these, the nasty spring holders keep the prices down for entry level kits and make it much easier for kids to assemble. The options are then there for upgrading which is another large part of the hobby and with Tamiya's there is a huge amount of mix and match customisation by raiding their parts bin that provides endless hours of fun. 

Edited by NITO

Realised that a while ago.

They're never going to be 'top performers', but will definitely be something to give substantial amusement to a good mix of ages.

Unless you're after top performance, and have the time / patience / both to remove, clean and lubricate or replace bearings every couple of years, or more frequently, then for 'average running' of moderately performing RC vehicles, these bronze and plastic bushes do the job.

Having said that, I always replace with bearings as well!!

Al.

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:05, Guns said:

so I have my bearings rubber shielded an I also have some absima shocks!! Gone for 75mm at front an 85mm for rear!! Have also got my shapeways brkt !!! So no 5th shock mod!!! Have also got some alloy bar to stiffen front suspension mounts!! An my lunchbox is coming tomoz!!! Not decided yet on colour!! But do want to do something different than the box art!!! Is there any paint you guys can recommend!! To many conflicting ideas online!!!

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:05, Guns said:

"tamiya rc kits good or not?????" Your words. Not mine. I presumed you came on here to ask for opinions to enable you to make the right choice of car. I am very sorry for giving you my opinion. That you asked for. Positively or negatively..... I could lie to you if thats what you want to hear and tell you how friction dampers and plastic bushes are the latest cutting edge in technology and performance? But surely asking on a forum you were after honest replies?

sorry dude if was bit off had few pants days an I apologise for being bit grumpy an off!!!

How about grey, black and white urban camo?

Or maybe '60s hippie with rough brush-painted flowers and rainbows?

Perhaps matt black primer with rusty bits?

Maybe pick a company that appeals to you, and paint it as a delivery van in their livery?

9 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

How about grey, black and white urban camo?

Or maybe '60s hippie with rough brush-painted flowers and rainbows?

Perhaps matt black primer with rusty bits?

Maybe pick a company that appeals to you, and paint it as a delivery van in their livery?

like camo idea!!! Have seen a few bits online saying I can use car paint but have also read just to use poly carbonate paint!! Would I be ok using car paint!!!????

Car paint would give a better finish than polycarbonate paint. It would also adhere better to the hard plastic shell, especially if you use a plastic primer first.

• Like 1