• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Scout with 2.2 Wheels?

Sven

Can I run 2.2 size wheels on the Maverick Scout?

While cleaning out the wheels today (there were tons of water in them) I noticed that one of the wheel hex "sockets" had been ripped off the rim. Effectively I've been running 4x3 for who knows how long ^_^

Since I've been considering upgraded tyres anyway, but balked at the prices a bit, this may be a good excuse change both rims and tyres.

I assume the Scout uses 1.9 wheels originally but since they all seems to use the 12 mm hex to fit on the axles, can they be upgraded to bigger wheels i.e. 2.2?

Considering the Scouts limited steering angles i'm guessing that won't be a problem.

Does any wheel rim with Beadlocks fit?

Which tyres do you recommend for rock crawling?

Thanks for any input!

Oops, I didn't realise it had 2.2's. Thanks for the update!

I shall have a look at those tyres.

It seems like some rims mention offset values, but most don't. Is this critical?

What does the Maverick need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to worry about offset with crawler type beadlock wheels. They're pretty much standard. The wheel width is the important thing. I've used these beadlock wheels on a Scout and they worked really well. Note the pic on the listing doesn't show the beadlock rings which are included. The white wheels are the cheapest but are really easy to dye another colour such as black.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221562452285?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006674&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220626%3Apla-131843261106&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=122&ff19=0

Here's my old "Monster Beetle" Scout with the chrome beadlocks.

John

Scout-Monster-Beatle-3.jpg

• Like 1

That looks Ace!!

How do you manage to keep it so clean  ^_^

Hmm, the description says "Because of the special bead lock construction, these tires must be used with HPI Rock Grabber Tires"what's that about?

That seems to apply to many HPI wheels.

Can I not keep my current tyres?

With a whole new set of Wheels and Tyres seemingly approaching £100 I'm having second thoughts. It seems ridiculous to spend that much on just these items when the whole car is is probably worth less by now :boredlook:

So for now I'll probably just get a nice set of rims only, but of course they then have to fit the original tyres.

I've had no problem fitting other brands of tyres to these wheels so the stock tyres should fit OK. It would be just over 50 quid for a new set of tyres and wheels. The stock tyres aren't the best grip wise but will do for now.

That was a build photo before it had been used, hence spotlessly clean.  :D

.             John

• Like 1

Well that's awkward...

Got my new wheels this week so was going to install them today. However, it turns out that they don't fit the original Maverick Scout tyres.

Closer inspection shows that the new wheels are indeed the size they say they should be, but the Scout wheels are Larger :@.@:

Measuring up the Scout wheels it seems like their actual size is 58 mm i.e. 2.5 inch, so the Scout tyres does not fit. See attached photos:

So, where do I find 2.5 inch wheels? They don't seem very common?

Also, If I get some 2.2 tyres, will they then be smaller than the originals?

A quick check seems to give the tyre diameter as 125+ mm, which at least seems quite common.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Scout stock wheels and tires are 2.2" .. I've fitted lots of different 2.2" tires to the wheels and I've also had the stock tires on RC4WD 2.2 wheels.

I'd guess your new wheels are a bit different due to the bead lock mechanism.  I'd persevere and have a another go at fitting the tires.  It might take a bit of fiddling but once the bead lock ring is tightened down they should be fine.

If you use a spare wheel (no tire) as a support under the one you are fitting a tire to you can then push down on the tire and it helps it seat the bead in the groove.  Hope that makes sense, it's hard to explain but can help lots!

Maybe the wheels delivered with the Scout has varied over time?

When measuring across the slot in the wheel were the tyre fits in, there is a considerable difference in diameter, as shown in the first photo. Indeed, the original wheel has a "tyre slot" with exactly 2.5 inch diameter. The same distance measures exactly 2.2 inch on the new wheels, so there is nothing wrong with new ones as such. Except them not fitting the original tyres :(

The second photo shows how much bigger the original tyre is. The bottom inside of the tyre is already fitted to the slot in the wheel on the photo but there is no way to fit the whole circumference of the tyre in at the same time. You always end up with a significant loop of tyre which always pops out of the slot as it cannot be compressed all around at the same time.

It seems like I'll have to get new tyres anyway. What do you recommend?

I'm quite keen on the bigger tyres with 140 mm diameter :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do like the look of some of Proline's tyres:

- Iron XL 2.2 G8

- Interco TSL SX Super Swamper XL 2.2

Does anyone have experience with these and if they are at all suitable for Rock Crawling and for a Scout?

They are a lot taller than the originals ^_^

It does not matter much if they are not the Very Best rock crawling tyres as I'm not competing or anything, just driving for fun :P