• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

X2; brushless.

Tug

If you use the alloy block mount then the ESC is solid and theres no way it’s moving, oh and the calibration sequence is wrong in the paperwork, ZTW made a vid that’s on YouTube showing how to do it correctly 

• Thanks 1

Quick 10S run, pretty good, almost good enough to leave as is and just have 12S as last pack of the day.

Only ran for five minutes, motor temp climbed from 25 to 34C, will need a proper run to see if the gearing's right or not. 

Acceleration good, just lacked top end, but 12S will almost certainly fix that, provided temps stay reasonable. 

8000 Zippy bricks, they were only on 50% to start with, not checked since switching off, but I will. 

I haven't, but next time I'm tinkering I'll plug the card in and take a peek. 

I've also emailed Neu about their 430kv motor, just to see, you know. 

• Like 1

If you look closely at the pinion in the pic, I can't tell if it's just the blackening wearing or the early signs of pinion failure, any thoughts?

The gap feels OK, but might be a micron too big. 

After a bit of faffing about, I found some inserts that have closed the gap ever so slightly, hopefully that's that solved. 

Just checked the cells and they'd dropped from 50% to 29%, very impressed with that! Wanna run longer? Get that kv down below 500!

• Like 1

The ESC is awesome, smooth power delivery, cool temps. 

The anti-spark is hit and miss, quite often the crack is similar to connecting 8 cells on the Castle XL2, but I'll live with it, not a deal breaker. Might get another once Modelsport have them back in stock. 

Definitely want to find a new, reliable source of low kv motors, the 380 won't last forever. 

it's really about tolerances and quality control, plenty of motors such as from Lehner, TP power etc which can withstand +40K rpm without much troubles and than not so good which fails even with 30K rpm, some brands aren't even offering higher revs because they know their motors won't survive 

I've seen Leopard motors failing but mainly due to one offs quality control rather than build or material quality as such so why limiting your motor kv if it's within the voltage range? not saying your is just as general comment

So far I found basic rule, max voltage minus 20% is my limiting factor no matter kv i.e. if motor is capable of working with max 60V (14S) I know it'll be safe to run it on 50V (12S) , kv is just difference between max voltage and max rpm

• Like 1

There's more to it though, the lower kv means more torque, but higher Voltage required for higher speeds. 

It's early days on this combo, but if it proves to be a cool runner, I'll look at upping the gearing. For now it seems to offer speed and runtime without the need for cooling off periods. 

Something I definitely don't like about the ESC is it gives no clue as to what cell count it's detected, so I'll be running alarms for the foreseeable future. 

Decided it was time to finally change the front centre CVD, four years old and has given its all. 

20200523_180239

20200523_180229

I've ordered the next replacement to sit in the spares box. 

I've also ordered new drive cups for the CD, I'll strip and rebuild that when they arrive. I was going to anyway, but just swap the cups front to rear so the wear goes in the opposite direction, but decided on new instead. 

Now, most of this platform is fairly straightforward to work on, but the boots for the CVDs are a joke! I hate them with a passion! Never once fitted one without it tearing somewhere!

Oh, and some of the bolts were quite tight!? See the twist?

2020-05-23_06-19-37

That's all for today. 

Yup, tried Losi, plus some other brands, all with the same result. 

Who makes the fancy diff cups you guys are using? Not sure I need it, but if they're any good, better than stock, I could be persuaded.