• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

X2; brushless.

Tug

Sorry to ask the obvious but have you tried backing off the mesh slightly to compensate? (Of course you have, you're not stupid).

Yup, I've had to learn where to mesh the teeth to so that it's wrong, then it rights itself as I tighten it up fully. 

Another major issue is alignment. Getting the pinion to sit square to the spur. The motor mount has two 5mm screws that come through from the bottom, but the slots are slightly wider. This allows for unwanted play. Before anyone asks, I'm not using the inserts because of the aforementioned chassis curve problem. If I use the inserts, the mesh is too big. 

Chassis is flat Tug, no rise from centre to outside edge, well, on my 5ive anyway....

Inserts aren't always 100% correct anyway, how about asking whichever local place you drop on, if they could make specific inserts to cure your problem?

2 minutes ago, sean-vrs said:

I reckon it's them pesky clone chassis problems :rolleyes:

That's a subject for another thread.............................................................................:P

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Tug said:

Cheers. I really should of shot some footage by now, anything would've done, just to show it on the move! Progress has halted as it's lashing down. I'll get back on it ASAP. 

Poor show mate poor show, you know the rules.

2 hours ago, Rover Man said:

Its Gods way of saying put the proper engine back in ;)

As the great Homer Simpson once said; "I shall not dignify that with a response".

2 hours ago, stretch said:

Poor show mate poor show, you know the rules.

I should know those rules, I had a hand in writing them! 

It's uploading now. ;)

Just uploading a vid, you won't notice it, but there's an annoying cut and then reapplication of power on long speed runs. It does this repeatedly on very long runs. Not too bothered as I won't be driving it like that. 

Slackened off the mesh slightly, think I've cracked it. 

Temps were definitely lower with this set-up, but no noticeable drop in speed. To summarise; 780KV on 6S was good, this is now on 520kv with 8S and same gearing. 

Just now, stretch said:

Lookin good, see your still putting your tights to good use.

Yeah, once I've worn the gusset through, they go into the RC parts bin! :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saviown said:

Very nice, also like the max5, shame it dont do 7s, any noticeable speed difference between the 6s 780kv and the 520kv on 8s?

No, not really. On paper the 520kv should've been noticeably slower, but it didn't feel it. GPS results will be recorded at some point, but to be honest, if the car feels right for me, I won't be too bothered with what the actual speed is. 

Yeah, Hobbywing have done a good job, but odd cell counts would've been nice as an additional option. 

To be fair if you were somewhere with loose dirt/gravel and maybe the odd jump, I imagine that speed would be more than acceptable.

Especially if all the temps are happy.

I know it's not quite the same but a mistake I learned from was trying to get something to a certain 'reasonable' speed on tarmac outside my house, then when actually taking it out for a bash, finding I didn't ever really hit full throttle anyway.

Looks good mate, look forward to more updates!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

To be fair if you were somewhere with loose dirt/gravel and maybe the odd jump, I imagine that speed would be more than acceptable.

Especially if all the temps are happy.

I know it's not quite the same but a mistake I learned from was trying to get something to a certain 'reasonable' speed on tarmac outside my house, then when actually taking it out for a bash, finding I didn't ever really hit full throttle anyway.

Looks good mate, look forward to more updates!

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of speed barrelling across rough ground is just about right. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I'd say so, especially for it's size... To really need more speed, you'd need a damn big area.

I reckon it'd be great, especially silent.

As someone who primarily runs IC, I can definitely see the appeal of a large brushless, especially 4wd.

You've reminded me of something I meant to mention earlier, these things are loud! 

Noj did warn me of this, but until you actually hear one, it's hard to gauge. 

Let's put it into context; I reckon that if I pushed the car by hand across the living room floor in the middle of the night, it'd wake the whole house! It's that LOUD! :lol:

Another example; when testing earlier, a Prius pulled out of a side road on batteries only, no engine. You couldn't hear the Prius over the noise of the X2! :lol:

Did I mention how LOUD these are?