• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

20 hours ago, Guns said:

Haven't tried that combo personally, but it looks the part. Which hop ups are you running in your TT-02?

2 hours ago, rob bark said:

I'm looking for interesting build an some think I can tweak a little!! Like scale look so maybe a custom interior or something like that!! Not really worried bout terrain etc! 

If tweaking and scale realism are your thing, one of the most improve-able Tamiya chassis is the CC-01. Comes with a choice of realistic shells too, which you can further enhance with scale accessories, weathering, etc. 

Ok wonderful people, not 100% sure this is the right place to ask but.....

Do any of you have recommendations on screwdriver sets for building and maintaining Tamiyas, I've got loads of torx and hex drivers but what's a good posi and crosshead drivers?

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Gavster29 said:

Ok wonderful people, not 100% sure this is the right place to ask but.....

Do any of you have recommendations on screwdriver sets for building and maintaining Tamiyas, I've got loads of torx and hex drivers but what's a good posi and crosshead drivers?

EDS are my favourite, i bought the Turnigy ones and theyre ok but nowhere near as good as my EDS ones

Ok thanks guys, I'm not keen on the Tamiya ones going by reviews online.

I'm off to Screwfix in a bit I might see what they have!

17 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

If tweaking and scale realism are your thing, one of the most improve-able Tamiya chassis is the CC-01. Comes with a choice of realistic shells too, which you can further enhance with scale accessories, weathering, etc. 

Nice like cc01 idea especially unimog!! Is it a universal kit with different shells or are there different wheelbase sizes?? 

7 hours ago, rob bark said:

Nice like cc01 idea especially unimog!! Is it a universal kit with different shells or are there different wheelbase sizes?? 

The basic kit is the same. The short and long wheelbase versions are achieved by using either the forward or rearward mounting points for the rear links. The medium wheelbase versions use little bridge pieces between the mounting points giving a third intermediate mounting point. 

And of course each version is supplied with a propshaft of suitable length. 

Hi. I didnt want to paint the 911 GT2 in white like the box art, as my Civic TT02D is white, and my next model will be a Tamiya Scirocco and ill paint it like me 1:1 Scirocco, which is white so ive ordered PS5 Black.....

but I forgot about these parts

evT9sep.jpg

what black paint can I use on these?

7 hours ago, Guns said:

Hi. I didnt want to paint the 911 GT2 in white like the box art, as my Civic TT02D is white, and my next model will be a Tamiya Scirocco and ill paint it like me 1:1 Scirocco, which is white so ive ordered PS5 Black.....

but I forgot about these parts

evT9sep.jpg

what black paint can I use on these?

Tamiya TS-14 gloss black, part no. 85014.

10 hours ago, Guns said:

Is there anything I could get at say a Halfords? Trying to avoid postage!

Yes. Halfords Gloss black.

Either...

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-gloss-black-spray-paint-500ml

or...

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-gloss-black-spray-300ml

Both are ideal for acrylic and more in the can than Tamiya for the price, that's what I sprayed the Taisan Starcard accessories with. No primer needed either.

C8ysgpy.jpg

YZgsiea.jpg

YRrVls2.jpg

@XV Pilot

Is the Kamtec shell more durable and thicker than the stock Tamiya Manta Ray shell?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-manta-ray-Lexan-1-10-RC-Replica-Bodyshell-Only/191928085958?epid=1695683510&hash=item2cafce2dc6:g:Ie0AAOSwWfFXkLvB

I've cut and painted mine today and it is flimsy, not the usual quality for Tamiya. The thickness just isn't there and the cut lines are nearly non existant.

The original is only a pound dearer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Tamiya-Manta-Ray-2018-Body-Rear-Wing-Only-19803082-9803082/312118404041?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

4 hours ago, ChrisT said:

@XV Pilot

Is the Kamtec shell more durable and thicker than the stock Tamiya Manta Ray shell?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-manta-ray-Lexan-1-10-RC-Replica-Bodyshell-Only/191928085958?epid=1695683510&hash=item2cafce2dc6:g:Ie0AAOSwWfFXkLvB

I've cut and painted mine today and it is flimsy, not the usual quality for Tamiya. The thickness just isn't there and the cut lines are nearly non existant.

The original is only a pound dearer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Tamiya-Manta-Ray-2018-Body-Rear-Wing-Only-19803082-9803082/312118404041?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The Kamtec Manta Ray shell is significantly sturdier than the Tamiya original, not quite as crisply detailed, but very close, and far more durable for running purposes.

10 minutes ago, big gaz said:

I think the manta Ray in that ad for kamtec is indeed @XV Pilot‘s Rc.

feel sure I’ve seen it before....

Well spotted! That is indeed my Manta Ray that Kamtec use in their ads.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, big gaz said:

I think the manta Ray in that ad for kamtec is indeed @XV Pilot‘s Rc.

feel sure I’ve seen it before....

Should be paying the man royalties :god:

12 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

The Kamtec Manta Ray shell is significantly sturdier than the Tamiya original, not quite as crisply detailed, but very close, and far more durable for running purposes.

Well spotted! That is indeed my Manta Ray that Kamtec use in their ads.

I'll look into one soon, quite surprised at the thiness, would of thought for a buggy it would be more thicker.

Hello, my names Keith and I have a problem.....

What happens is I work nights 8pm-8am. My body hates this and around 3am, I go for my break but I cant eat food. So what I do is order another Tamiya Touring car.....

Thing is I was gonna buy a Lego Porsche GT3RS and a Mack truck. These 3 cost the same as those but can actually be used?

Only a Tamiya TT-01e Scirocco. £78 + postage lol. My aim is to make it look like my 1:1

hKXc4CE.jpg

Gonna need to trim the spoiler and find some different wheels.

• Like 2