• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo's or nimh's in sons crawler jeep ?

jimmy1963

I have bought a crawler jeep for my young son called a HG P402 pictured that comes with a 1500 mah 15c 7.4 v lipo battery included also pictured. Obviously 1500 mah wont last too long and I am looking for alternatives. 
I realise that lipo's are most probably the most efficient in terms of power and weight but I am concerned about my son charging them on his own and the possibility(however rare) of a fire. If I buy high mah nimh 7.2v batteries possibly 4000 mah would there be a noticeable decrease in power. I also realise that that the nimh batteries tend to steadily lose their power as they go whereas lipo's stay fairly well powered up to the end and then "give up". 
Efficiency ,weight and power leans towards lipo's but safety as above leans towards nimh's
Any advice ?
Thanks

jeep.jpg

lipo.JPG

How old is your son? 

I would get lipo for longer run times and shorter charge times. 

But my eldest son is ten and I wouldn't let him near my charge station maybe in a few years.

But however I have taught my misses how to use the charger safely. 

Ps get a lipo charge bag and I store all my lipos in a old ammo tin when not in use. 

A Simple interface charger is probably best for him
Almost a Wall plug type - or a basic switch for speed setup

i've never stored my lipo's in Lipo bags - nore ever charged in one
Why?
Cost to start with
But i have no fear of explosion because i dont overcharge / drain mine to much, and no signs of any defects

Ziggy

14 minutes ago, russruss123 said:

I have no fear of explosion either mate just only takes one dodgy battery and puff the garage is gone. 

Lipo bags are cheap as chips better to be safe than sorry imo.

Oh no dowt - its better to be safe vs sorry

Its on my todo list - just like eveything - rc wise, it gets knocked back when other task's come to hand

Ziggy

It's a crawler, is top speed and power such is a concern for your son?

Yes there will be a decrease in top speed - unless you can fit a 7-cell nimh.

You can go with a higher capacity nimh (depending on what fits on the car, size-wise) but you need a decent nimh charger with peak detection - money wise it's not really worth it, just safety wise. Also if nimh left several months unused, it needs a few cycles to wake up.