• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Latest addition to 1/5 scale fleet

andyknight

Picked this up on Thursday from a friend for a very reasonable price.

large.IMAG0377.jpg

It needs some work but spent a day on it today tidying it up and replacing screws and fixing bits.  I reckon a new pinion, diff case and tube and lots of replacement ball joints and it will be fine.  Current diff is leaking its grease everywhere and the tube looks like it's seen better days (must have been on and off a fair few times).

Edited by andyknight

According to the shape of the front arms, chassis plate design, type of shocks etc it's a sportline touring.  it's missing the side exhaust but most importantly you can get parts for it as alot of the ones you see on ebay are so old parts availability becomes a real issue.  I reckon the pinion's got an hour left in it before the teeth start coming off lol.

I stripped the carb, insulate etc and removed what looked to be lots of instant gasket sealant as had real trouble starting it.  changed the insulator block, put a fresh set of gaskets on, reset the low speed needle with adjusted throttle trim and it started straight up.

According to the manual it should be a zenoah g230 but my friend says it's 27.5cc so it's had some work done on it along the line.  it's fitted with a multiplex throttle/brake servo and a Futaba steering servo.  the steering rods from the servo to the saver are wrong and have been bodged but after some re-bodging by me yesterday they now actually work.

Need any tyres.... Got loads you can have mate... Need a good sorts through, but some useable ones in there..

Bring the box on Sunday, not expecting the pinion to last long but it would be good to at least try it out.

5 minutes ago, Leo said:

I think it may be an Ecoline not a Sportline. 

I think it actually may be a hybrid.  it has triangular lower front arms and rounded uppers.  there's no model with that combo from looking at all the manuals on competitionx.com

Managed to get the shell fitting reasonably OK.  It's missing the front nose and is pretty trashed.

Does anybody have a second hand 530/535mm wheelbase shell forsale?

large.IMAG0378.jpg

Edited by andyknight

Full set of bearings arrived along with a new layshaft brake disk and some brake mounting hardware.  Tomorrow should see a dhl delivery from rc-car-online.de with new pinion, diff bits, driveshaft, diff and drive cups, plastics and a few odds and sods.

Edited by andyknight

40 minutes ago, Carpmart said:

Sounds a comprehensive list of replacement parts!  Certainly chucking some $ at it mate!  

Just the necessities to get it running reliably.  still looking for a 2nd hand shell.

So everything is now complete.

I have overhauled the diff, replaced the brake disk and square, replaced the pinion gear, changed all the c-clips, removed all the rusty bearings and replaced with nice shiny smooth fresh ones, installed a kill switch, cleaned the carb and added a choke, binned the old air filter (actually had no filter in it at all, just a plastic hood), fitted my old X2 air filter, put new diff and drive cups on along with driveshafts with boots.

The only thing that is left to do is the shell but there's nothing i can do about that at the moment, it will just have to look like a turd for a while.  After all that it starts within 3 pulls which was a huge improvement, got a nice idle but will probably need some fettling to get it right at the top end.

All I need is some dry whether on Sunday!

Edited by andyknight

There are very few differences between eco and sportsline - The eco had the bean can exhaust and the no oil friction shocks. The considerably later sports line has the side pipe and the oil filled shocks. Most other parts are the same. There is a massive void between the skills used for driving on road and off road - unless you get the set up and technique right for on road, the car will spend most of the day spinning out or going up it's own arsenal.

Tyre wise, the lower the number/letter should in most cases denote the softer tyre i.e  Softer 5,10,15 Harder  Softer A,B,C Harder

A proper track with clean tarmac will provide infinitely more fun than a carpark.

1 hour ago, andyknight said:

New fuel tank fitted after the old one continuously ****** fuel out of the fuel neck at the weekend.

large.IMAG0381.jpg

Maybe we can have a bit of grip now rather than the oily slick you were leaving in your wake....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got a new Alfa 156 shell sitting in the living room thanks to rc-car-online.de and their great service, ready for me to open tomorrow for my birthday.  Just finished doodling some paint designs, got my liquid mask and logo designs done.  I just need for my paint to turn up tomorrow and hope that i don't bodge it up too much at the weekend.

What could possibly go wrong....

7 minutes ago, andyknight said:

Got a new Alfa 156 shell sitting in the living room thanks to rc-car-online.de and their great service, ready for me to open tomorrow for my birthday.  Just finished doodling some paint designs, got my liquid mask and logo designs done.  I just need for my paint to turn up tomorrow and hope that i don't bodge it up too much at the weekend.

What could possibly go wrong....

Absolutely nothing.... Then again, absolutely everything!   :D  good luck chap!

Got a bit done this evening.  Numbers are sprayed on roof and sides, sponsor logo's in place ready for spraying.  everything hand cut so it's taking a while, plus my German delivery never turned up so I have none of the main colours for the panels.

large.IMAG0386.jpg

Taken it as far as I can now without my paint delivery.  Some of the edges are not quite as clean as I would like but nothing I can do about it now.

large.IMAG0391.jpg

Edited by andyknight
  • Like 1