• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FID Dragon Hammer, Long Term Testing

hoss

58 minutes ago, babylon said:

Why would you want flex in the steering, The only place I want flex in the steering is the Servo Saver, That's what is for, It's hard enough as it is stopping all the slop you get as it is without asking for it, I want the wheels pointing in the direction I tell them to point, Not any direction they fancy.

Slop and flex are very very different beasts. A little bit of flex allows the suspension to work a little bit better provides a little more give in rough conditions. As for moaning about the fid I see no moaning just thoughts and opinions. I think the fid is a great step for 1/5 but I as with others don't like all the alloy it's a comment not a moan ;P

Edited by norcoforever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, babylon said:

Are you serious, So this comes as standard with all the stuff that people like to throw at the 5ive, be it for reliability or looks, And your gonna moan about it, My god, They can't do right for doing wrong.

Yes, I am serious and entitled to share my opinion as much as people are entitled to buy lots of bling for their rigs, or not (like myself). ;) For the amount of included ally vs the retail price, I suspect cheapness somewhere, which immediately puts me off the model. Adding well considered and worthwhile hop ups is a part of the hobby I enjoy, I don't want a manufacturer to (over)do it for me.

• Like 2

The sun is shining on this rc again. The performance pipe look beast can't wait to hear it's dyno results.

I like all the alloy and the red/gold scheme. Red is fids signature colour I think. Suits it too. 

I laughed at the idea of people thinking the hammer is a dbxl clone lol. A. The dbxl is the clone of the rcmk I think they must be confusing this with. B. It has an axle.  But it's steering set up is pretty similar enough to throw carpmart off lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sean-vrs said:

What kind of price are you expecting this to come in at, bottom line ready to run, my guesstimate is £1500+ which for me is to rich

DH - £850

G320 - £220

2x Savox 241 Jumbo servos - £130

Radio system - £40+

Total is £1240... You'll be lucky to get the Vekta as a roller for that price.

Edited by scatteh316
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, scatteh316 said:

DH - £850

G320 - £220

2x Savox 241 Jumbo servos - £130

Radio system - £40+

Total is £1240... You'll be lucky to get the Vekta as a roller for that price.

I agree but you also need the exhaust and whilst not essential a kill-switch so £1500 imo is about right 

are you guessing at the vekta or do you have a price? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sean-vrs said:

I agree but you also need the exhaust and whilst not essential a kill-switch so £1500 imo is about right 

Has to be a guess as there is no price confirmed yet!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babylon said:

That's cos I paid good money for it and have never made a bad buying decision in my life, Ho, There was that FG Marder.

But you've got an X2, so we know that's not true!  :smilies_eusasmiles2:

The thing is with making decisions, at the point your taking the decision, as long as the process you follow is a good one and you make tele decision based on the facts you can reasonably have at your disposal, then I would agree, you never make a bad decision.  Hindsight and extra information being made available after you take that 'good' decision, can mean that it wasn't a good decision in the long run.  That doesn't mean you did a bad job in the first place... :)  

25 minutes ago, John_RCModelz said:

Exhaust £100 switchblade £35

I don't often read threads all the way through but this is a good one (except for the tangent on steering flex)... Looking at the rcmodelz website i can't see the dragon for sale? When are they available either rtr or as a roller....? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sean-vrs said:

You'll need a kill switch regadless of what ever 1/5th scale you go with...

But as John has confirmed the exhaust at £100 it puts the total with a kill switch at £1375 all in..... Still a good £125+ under your original estimate of £1500+

11 minutes ago, HomerSimpson said:

I don't often read threads all the way through but this is a good one (except for the tangent on steering flex)... Looking at the rcmodelz website i can't see the dragon for sale? When are they available either rtr or as a roller....? 

Should be on the website this coming week for pre order and available mid may

• Like 1

Just now, scatteh316 said:

You'll need a kill switch regadless of what ever 1/5th scale you go with...

But as John has confirmed the exhaust at £100 it puts the total with a kill switch at £1375 all in..... Still a good £125+ under your original estimate of £1500+

Lets not get silly, a lot of people won't touch a £40 tx/rx  and there isn't a rx pack in your budget so £1500 is still a good ball park figure imo and that is a lot of money for a new untested model, I hope it's great and proves to be a good alternative to the five.

time will tell.

2 minutes ago, sean-vrs said:

Lets not get silly, a lot of people won't touch a £40 tx/rx  and there isn't a rx pack in your budget so £1500 is still a good ball park figure imo and that is a lot of money for a new untested model, I hope it's great and proves to be a good alternative to the five.

time will tell.

Losi 5ive is a £1500+ RC when you add decent servos, exhaust and radio system.... And there was a time when even that was new and unproven.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scatteh316 said:

Losi 5ive is a £1500+ RC when you add decent servos, exhaust and radio system.... And there was a time when even that was new and unproven.

Well mine was £1200 with one servo upgrade,losi exhaust and spectrum tx, but your missing my point this is a new and first model from a parts company, I'm not knocking it but I would class myself as a serious rc buyer and until this is proven I won't touch it but if this was a new release from hpi/losi or any big proven company I would get it without any worries,the same goes for the vekta. Like I said earlier good luck to the buyers, I'm watching with great interest.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Harris2258 said:

Just one question I'm looking at preordering one of these with the roller when you get your engine what clutch housing do you need ? 

They come with EVERYTHING you'll need to just bolt your engine straight in,

It comes with the clutch housing, clutch Bell & pinion :) 

11 hours ago, Carpmart said:

Hoss has said in one of the posts above that it comes with the clutch housing as part of the roller package!  

Cheers fella :) 

6 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

Pretty sure he means the engine side housing, not the one which holds the clutch bell....

There is a 

Billet Alloy Engine Mount,

Billet Alloy clutch bell carrier,

Currently the Zenoah G290 has a Stock Clutch housing that comes with the engine,

And my Zenoah G340 has a Bartalone Billet one on

So it will take a standard size clutch bell housing, rather than the smaller Losi sized one that he 5ive-T has to use :) 

Some Great picture's on there :)

1 hour ago, .AJ. said:

Cool, got there in the end, my Bart would drop right in then

20160208_134006-1_zpsfawupson.jpg

Yeah once I understood which part he was getting at ;)

But yes, it should do :)

Give me a few minutes I'll upload everything that comes with the roller that's not already attached to the car :) 

Edited by hoss

Servo Arms for the Steering & the Throttle/Brake

And Steering Links

20160325_142241_zpsi0wq67ph.jpg

20160325_142337_zpsay69gv5o.jpg

Billet Alloy Small Engine Mount

20160325_142458_zpswn6nfygx.jpg

20160325_142504_zpsi4tltbcj.jpg

Air Filter And Air Filter Mounting Plate

20160325_143045_zpsms3ydxvs.jpg

20160325_143018_zpszfpjncgz.jpg

20160325_143032_zpsueppv7yb.jpg

20160325_143056_zpswa0d4e9m.jpg

Air Filter Bolts

Carb Plate for the Throttle cable

Throttle Cable rotor

Throttle Cable

Gaskets

Throttle Cable Outer

20160325_143113_zpstbjtzjfw.jpg

20160325_143107_zpsjseqo5wg.jpg

20160325_143121_zpshyegj97b.jpg

20160325_143129_zpsynq4iigi.jpg

20160325_143144_zpsg5fjzp83.jpg

Servo Screws & Servo Screw Billet Washers

20160325_142431_zpseeywlkff.jpg

Engine Plates & Screws (2 Bags the same)

20160325_142735_zpshzfhqyyj.jpg

Billet Alloy Spacers for the Clutch Housing to Clutch Carrier & Bolts

20160325_142656_zps5vojd61h.jpg

20160325_142516_zpsxonagcvr.jpg

Fuel Line Over Springs ( Stops any kinks)

20160325_143204_zpslbmd3epk.jpg

Edited by hoss
  • Like 3

Slop and flex are very very different beasts. A little bit of flex allows the suspension to work a little bit better provides a little more give in rough conditions

Have you just made that up, the only thing you want doing the suspension work is the shock, Why would a racer, Or anyone spend there time getting the right oil and suspension setup just to allow the inconsistancy of plastic flex to play its part, A good few racers do keep to plastic cos that works for them, But how about we dont portray the use or inclusion of alloy as a disadvantage, Would rather have it and downgrade to plastic than not and have to upgrade to alloy, Its not as if they are charging a massive premium for it, Its only 100 quid or so over a 5ive roller, And thats like 80% or more plastic

I will agree that in some areas alloy can be more trouble than its worth, For bashers, The ones that jump, drive and crash all stupid like, But for racers and them that drive like they race, Sorry, Alloy all day long for me, Ridgedness, Let the part do what it was designed to do, But if you want to introduce flex, Then thats up to you.

Or are you gonna tell me that the lucky ones that got one of These ,Felt there was to much alloy, Or This, Or This.

Anyway, I like it, And for once I wouldnt feel as if I was getting turned over again, And the Vekta seems to have a higher plastic ratio, So the roller price for that should be in the region of about 700 to 750, yer right. The consenses for the DH seems to be "Too dear" "And too much alloy" But the Vekta is Kraken, So when that turns up with no alloy and at a £1000 price point, People will be calling it a bargain, Mark my words.

I thought of a quick simple question, Let me ask, Why are some here happy to wait for the Vekta and take a punt on that at a more than likely higher price point than they are the DH, Other than a few upgrades and a rollcage (that someone in our group likes to bring out when its raining cos it looks like a boat) Kraken have made nothing, So I ask, Why are people happy to wait and take a punt on it at a no dought higher cost.

Edited by babylon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, babylon said:

I will agree that in some areas alloy can be more trouble than its worth, For bashers, The ones that jump, drive and crash all stupid like

Consistency really isn't a strong point of yours is it? First you point out that most on here aren't racers then proceed to explain how many racers have lots of alloy. And highlight that too much alloy is not always good for a basher. SERIOUSLY!

I don't understand your attitude at all. Just because myself and a few others would do things a bit differently to you or our views are different you take it as a personal attack. No one has said it's rubbish or anything like that but you twist and turn because we don't bow down at it's wheels and call it the next messiah.

On a side note fantastic review hoss great to have all the photos etc and u derstand this cars workings. Though I to am interested in the cable throttle? Any issues?

Edited by norcoforever
  • Like 3