• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

should I get a metal spur gear or stick with plastic?

B4D TEMP3R 303

40 minutes ago, Tug said:

Check the gear mesh, I've got several cars on plastic spurs with high powered BL systems, never a problem. 

its not the mesh I always make sure I get it spot on. could just be from a hard day of bashing all the jumps and crash's ect

I've heard it mentioned that wet grass can cause stripped spurs because the drivetrain is spinning up with virtually no load, not sure on that personally. 

Any heavy hits that could've shifted the motor? 

2 hours ago, Tug said:

I've heard it mentioned that wet grass can cause stripped spurs because the drivetrain is spinning up with virtually no load, not sure on that personally. 

yh I was bashing on dirt jumps did have some hard hits and the dirt was very loose

3 hours ago, Tug said:

They strip on wet grass if you have no rear mud guards :doh:Gets all wrapped around the shafts and binds up but still runs and rips the spur to bits.

Happened to me with a metal one. I didn't notice anything until I was changing pinions every 2 runs :huh: 

Turned out the stress from the binding had worn my spur into sharp pointed teeth which were digging into the pinions and breaking them.

If you keep an eye on it then plastic should be fine. Weigh up the cost as well tho, is it cheaper to replace the spur or pinion? Go metal with the most expensive one, plastic with the cheapest.

Metal to metal can last a good while tho too.

The bandit is no different to the rustler on the arse side of things

The xl5 and vxl spurs use a very fine pitch tooth setup 64dp rings a vague bell

It became very quickly common knowledge that the revo spur used the same slipper setup using 32dp (much more agressive teeth)

I swapped after yes finding its stripping easily on sudden directional changes and accidents

Ive never looked back and spur stripping dropped a good 95% for me

Only time I strip is when the motor goes wondering

Ill get a picture

Only downside is you loose the gear cover but that dont stop me and never caused issues

Ziggy

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

What stops you refitting the gear cover?

I am assuming it rubs somewhere....but can it be solved by spacing out the cover? I don;t fancy running with an open cover as some of hte places I run are quite 'gritty' and have a load of stuff that will just get in there and clog stuff up.

Not had a lot of spur strippage on the family Stampede.... but I don;t like the very fine pitch teeth, and since all my other stuff is either 32 or 48DP, it would mean fewer pinions needed. I seem to have managed to get a different pinion pitch for every leccy car I have! Mod 0.6, 32DP, 48DP, 64P, Mod 1 .....

What stops you refitting the gear cover?

I am assuming it rubs somewhere....but can it be solved by spacing out the cover? I don;t fancy running with an open cover as some of hte places I run are quite 'gritty' and have a load of stuff that will just get in there and clog stuff up.

Not had a lot of spur strippage on the family Stampede.... but I don;t like the very fine pitch teeth, and since all my other stuff is either 32 or 48DP, it would mean fewer pinions needed. I seem to have managed to get a different pinion pitch for every leccy car I have! Mod 0.6, 32DP, 48DP, 64P, Mod 1 .....

The stock gear has an offset, as a result it sits alot closer to the diff casing, you fit the pinion backwards to fit it

Where as that revo setup isnt offset and rubs on the cover

I did offset it with a longer screw and nuts however the gap thats left is mega and those stone your avoiding can easily get in still

Plus its more airflow around the gears to keep them cool

Ziggy

Just put insulation tape around it? 

You seen how the dirt sticks?

Its not been cleaned in well years lol

Ill try and get picture of whats going on later, if I can find my cover

Ziggy