• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which short course truck for club racing and bashing

So now I actually have the funds I feel I'm better placed to make a decision and annoy you with another 'What bla bla bla' to get we all know and love :wub:

Budget max around £380. I have a Hyperion Dual Charger Setup and PSU. I own one 2s LiPo, one 3s LiPo and two 4S LiPo.

Requirements:

• Club level racer (If I can actually drive the track...see next sentence) on outdoor, fairly tight sandy astro track (1/10 electric)
  • To be a basher in case racing isn't for me and when racing is off or weekend fun etc
  • 4wd ideally
  • Ideally parts in the UK

1. Losi Ten-SCTE RTR £369

2. Axial Yeti Score Trophy Score RTR £369
3. Helion Select Four 10 RTR £249 (Underdog, gets good reviews on here, Freeprawn will stock most parts)

4. Team Associated Pro SC 4x4 (Old Thunder Tiger chassis, mixed opinions)

5. Slash 4x4, Used

6 Arrma Senton

Ive kind of dismissed the Slash 4x4 as its just too expensive in RTR 4x4 format at £409.

I've previously had a HPI Blitz Flux, but really fancy something different and 4x4.

Let me know your thoughts

Edited by Derka

Well I doubt you would be allowed to race with the Axial unfortunately, as that's would be the one I would pick.

In that case, I would go for the Losi, tough trucks with good parts support and they fly round the track.

The four10 Nige races is up against mainly Durango's, it holds it's own.

The Axial will be crap on track, solid rear axle and all that....you'll get robbed every lap.

The Ten will be a damned fine rig,with one caveat, it is heavy compared to Durango's and the like.

Now, I know mine wasn't set up right for indoors, however, I'm not convinced indoor is the best type of circuit for it. 

I'm keeping mine now and taking it to my local outdoor track (The Nook) to see how it fares on astro.....

If I didn't own it, I would buy a Helion.

Just my twopenneth ;)

Aye, the RTR Ten SCTE weighs in at 4kg same as the Axial Trophy too.

The four10 is half the weight at just over 2kg.

I don't need the truck till the 5th April but I'd like to spend time with it, I was just thinking of awaiting your feedback re outdoor Astro track which is what I'd be running on.

I have raced a losi Ten for the last 2 seasons at my local club and absolutely love it gret strong truck takes a battering (Needs to with my driving) and just comes back for more.

Since using the truck i have had 1st and a second in the winter series and the same in the last 2 summer series and bearly changed a thing on it with only 1 broken front arm in 2 years.

Oh nearly forgot to say my local club also runs on Astro

Edited by KYOSHOKEV

3 hours ago, KYOSHOKEV said:

I have raced a losi Ten for the last 2 seasons at my local club and absolutely love it gret strong truck takes a battering (Needs to with my driving) and just comes back for more.

Since using the truck i have had 1st and a second in the winter series and the same in the last 2 summer series and bearly changed a thing on it with only 1 broken front arm in 2 years.

Oh nearly forgot to say my local club also runs on Astro

Yeah I've seen Kev drive and it's held up pretty well with his poor skills ;)

The losi seems to be the best but it's a pain it's imperial and parts cost abit more than most and upgrades cost alot more than most. 

Any reason the team associated sc10 4x4 isn't on the list? I don't know much about the sc10 but just got one to tinker with and it feels excellent super light weight too. 

I saw a kit sc10 on ebay and that looked space grade but think it's a 2wd version. If I ever race I'll try the sc10 I think. Unless there's a good reason not too lol. 

For the cost of imperial drivers, it is still worth considering, IMO.

Alternatively, swap out the hardware for non imperial, bolts and ting aren't exactly crazy money.

Mainly US, although, little seems to break...

Certainly worth having spare spur gears in, possibly a set of arms too....I'd not be going overboard.

There are RPM arms available, not sure they would actually add much over stock tbh. 

1 hour ago, Noj said:

For the cost of imperial drivers, it is still worth considering, IMO.

Alternatively, swap out the hardware for non imperial, bolts and ting aren't exactly crazy money.

Any metal parts would have to be rethreaded in order to take the different size screw. Have a truck with both English and metric would be a nightmare when it comes to working on it.

If you're planning on racing at club level or above your best bet would be to get a Tekno SCT410 or losi ten scte. These are the to main trucks raced in both the USA and UK and seem to both be very capable truck and  equal. In the UK SCT regionals the Tekno seemed to do a little better, this could be down to the driver or truck. 

The new four10 looks good and for club level against durangos it would be my choice as £250 for everything is very good value. If you dont want to spend mega money that would be the one to go for. Everyone who raced SCT at my club had the durangos and now they all used the Tekno and don't regret it as it's a lot faster and a lot more durable. Having owned an dex410 it's lovely to work on and handles well but the part qulity is/was poor.

Last night I attempted to search my usual sites for a Tekno SCT410 Version 1 or 3 but could I could only find it on DMS Racing, SCT410.3 as a kit for £299, but not in stock. Only leaves £80 ish for Motor, ESC, Radio Gear, Servo, body, paint, wheels and tyres so way out of my budget to be ready for April 5th unfortunately.

Is there any other sites that sell these, perhaps the older version 1?

I'm still half tempted by the Losi TEN-SCTE RTR for £369 initially, and then upgrade as needed, the only thing holding me back is there does not seem to be a lot of parts available in the UK.

What are peoples opinions on the Arrma Senton? I believe they have a version 2 of the infamous ESC that liked to die prematurely.

The Helion is still up there, come monday I may pull the trigger and buy it as thats d-day decision wise to have it in time

13 hours ago, Derka said:

Last night I attempted to search my usual sites for a Tekno SCT410 Version 1 or 3 but could I could only find it on DMS Racing, SCT410.3 as a kit for £299, but not in stock. Only leaves £80 ish for Motor, ESC, Radio Gear, Servo, body, paint, wheels and tyres so way out of my budget to be ready for April 5th unfortunately.

Is there any other sites that sell these, perhaps the older version 1?

I'm still half tempted by the Losi TEN-SCTE RTR for £369 initially, and then upgrade as needed, the only thing holding me back is there does not seem to be a lot of parts available in the UK.

What are peoples opinions on the Arrma Senton? I believe they have a version 2 of the infamous ESC that liked to die prematurely.

The Helion is still up there, come monday I may pull the trigger and buy it as thats d-day decision wise to have it in time

Mb models might have them. You'd still need a shell, wheels, tires and inserts. They cost a lot more but as they buy once buy right. Maybe try and order it from the states and hope for the best when it comes to import. Amain will have some offers on soon so you could save a bit.

Im still waiting for a set of wheels to arrive for my tekno.

I'm not gonna lie I'm sure I'm knocking on about £600 spent on it and I already had a charger. 

But it's a great build and the parts look strong can't wait to take it out. 

Although I kinda like it all shiny an new ow and Im waiting on air control guards I forgot about them. 

Bit of an update and change in direction.

This is a new class at my local club so there was no rules really in regard to 4wd or 2wd or power systems. It's basically an open class.

What I decided with the others was to go 2wd as most of us will be using 2wd with only one 4wd.

I went for a Blitz in the end with a few upgrade parts. Steering, Servo and tyres.

Thanks for the input.

8 hours ago, Derka said:

Bit of an update and change in direction.

This is a new class at my local club so there was no rules really in regard to 4wd or 2wd or power systems. It's basically an open class.

What I decided with the others was to go 2wd as most of us will be using 2wd with only one 4wd.

I went for a Blitz in the end with a few upgrade parts. Steering, Servo and tyres.

Thanks for the input.

What power system are you planning to use?

Hobbywing WP-SC8 + 3656 combo at 4000kv would be an excellent choice if you ever want to upgrade.

As I said in a PM, Proline Pro-Spec shocks will make a big difference to handling too, with 25wt rear and 30wt front roughly on the medium piston holes.

Either way changing your shock oils will make a difference, as will your diff oil (around 20,000 - 30,000wt in the diff works well) and shocks depends on pistons (front you want between 30-40wt, rear 20-30 roughly)

Enjoy the racing, it isn't as hard as it looks, and you get better with practice, it is great fun being with people who enjoy the same hobby. I do miss racing, I'll probably go back one day.