• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie first impressions of running nitro

m1tch_87

Hi all,

Just had a chance to try out my nitro truggy in the back garden, here are my findings so far:

Time to get the thing to idle properly - 30-45 minutes

Run time today before the engine cuts out again - 20 - 30 seconds

Total experience of nitro RC so far since having it:

Afternoons free - 2

Time spent getting the truggy started adjusting idle settings etc 1/8 turn at a time - 3 hours

Total run time - 1 minute

Not overly impressed with nitro so far, seems quite hard to get everything adjusted to a point where it will run properly and not run at high idle (causing the clutch to engage and spin the wheels). I have got an on road electric car now I can actually just plug in a battery and go and have some fun, so far its been nothing but faff, to top it off its quite expensive to get into, the starter box has arrived which I thought I would try out, I will have to hack the chassis quite a bit to be able to get the wheel to engage so just used the pull starter today.

Total cost from having no RC parts to the 1 minute of nitro run time - around £300 - works out at around £5 a second.

Edited by m1tch_87

Probably a Trophy :D 

Can be a pig if new nitro's. Can find that the factory settings not that great for starting on many. Once ran in a bit it should improve.

I opted for a used car recently as I couldn't be bothered with the whole beginning process. Mine won't run at all on factory. Got a bit fed up with my elec so got a nitro for a change.

Edited by dazp1976
  • Like 1

Its a used FTX carnage, its only cost a lot so far due to needing all of the starter bits to even get into RC, plus within the first 10 seconds of runtime the servo pinned the throttle wide open which then meant I had to stop it using a fence - so I have had to repair parts on it already.

I was looking to use it as a base for a speed run car and bought a .28 engine to put into it but its almost not worth the hasste now, really quite dejected about it all. I have taken today off work and was planning to actually have a go with my RC for once but its not to be. At least with electric you just plug it in and off you go!

Edited by m1tch_87

That is the difference between playing with toys and a hobby!

Nitro needs skill and experience: once you have gained it, you have achieved something giving a feeling of satisfaction. From then on, you use that knowledge and you wonder what all the fuss was about.

Take an electric car out of the box, switch it on and.........? Back to Argos, or wherever, for the next one and that taxing challenge of defeating the packaging!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Shudson said:

That is the difference between playing with toys and a hobby!

Nitro needs skill and experience: once you have gained it, you have achieved something giving a feeling of satisfaction. From then on, you use that knowledge and you wonder what all the fuss was about.

Take an electric car out of the box, switch it on and.........? Back to Argos, or wherever, for the next one and that taxing challenge of defeating the packaging!

Its why I decided to go with a nitro, I am usually pretty good with mechanical things, I basically stopped modding cars and going down Santa Pod to do RWYB drag days to get into RC - at least the RC car doesn't take up the same space as multiple turbos and engines though!

I guess the issue for me is that I don't feel like I have any control over the car, especially if the idle is high enough for the clutch to engage - there isn't an engine kill switch anywhere for it. 

Edited by m1tch_87

30 minutes ago, m1tch_87 said:

Its why I decided to go with a nitro, I am usually pretty good with mechanical things, I basically stopped modding cars and going down Santa Pod to do RWYB drag days to get into RC - at least the RC car doesn't take up the same space as multiple turbos and engines though!

I guess the issue for me is that I don't feel like I have any control over the car, especially if the idle is high enough for the clutch to engage - there isn't an engine kill switch anywhere for it. 

I know how you feel mate I also think nitros are such a pain :banghead:

But if you get it tuned right they are awesome fun, but the engines are a bit of a pain tbh especially when their new.

But I've since moved to petrol rcs and i can tell you one thing I've still got nitro cars but i will not be buying anymore, just petrol :yes:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SlayerLayer said:

I know how you feel mate I also think nitros are such a pain :banghead:

But if you get it tuned right they are awesome fun, but the engines are a bit of a pain tbh especially when their new.

But I've since moved to petrol rcs and i can tell you one thing I've still got nitro cars but i will not be buying anymore, just petrol :yes:

Yeah I was looking at some of the petrol models in terms of engines to swap out, although not ideal for high speed in smaller scales, I will see what I can do with the current nitro truggy, was really looking forward to playing with it today.

I guess I am still rather concerned about how the thing just shot off when I first tried to use it, really worried that will happen again as even if I let off the throttle, if the clutch is still engaged its still going to be moving.

Edited by m1tch_87

I very much doubt you will be able to put a petrol in a nitro car as it would not fit that would take up half the chassi if not more in at 1/8 scale.

Plus the drive wouldn't work with the petrol engine 

Turn down the throttle on the tx trim or turn it down with the idle screw as much as you can without it stalling.

Then tune the engine and after its tuned you can then adjust the idle properly as without the engine being tuned you won't be able to have it not engage the clutch.

12 minutes ago, SlayerLayer said:

I very much doubt you will be able to put a petrol in a nitro car as it would not fit that would take up half the chassi if not more in at 1/8 scale.

Plus the drive wouldn't work with the petrol engine 

Turn down the throttle on the tx trim or turn it down with the idle screw as much as you can without it stalling.

Then tune the engine and after its tuned you can then adjust the idle properly as without the engine being tuned you won't be able to have it not engage the clutch.

My father in law was into nitro RC when they were more popular, he has actually recently bought a 1/8 HPI Pulse 4.6 due to the fact that I bought my 1/10 RC lol I will ask him for some help, I have a feeling there must be some settings that aren't quite right.

I have no experience of the FTX Carnage but had nitro Savage for many years..

Are you still running in a new engine?

Can you start it on a stand with wheels off the ground and test it without driving?

Not sure whether you can get it idling with steady rpm and then it screams away when you touch the throttle and rpms stay high when you let off throttle/

Watch the servo and throttle linkage and carn and check the carb opening and closing and staying closed at neutral throttle? 

High revs at idle could be lean LSN, high revs hanging when let off throttle could be lean HSN,

If it is new engine then you should be running rich settings for a few tanks.

10 minutes ago, m1tch_87 said:

My father in law was into nitro RC when they were more popular, he has actually recently bought a 1/8 HPI Pulse 4.6 due to the fact that I bought my 1/10 RC lol I will ask him for some help, I have a feeling there must be some settings that aren't quite right.

Yeah that's always a bonus with someone who knows what their doing im sure he will sort it out for you.

Just now, SlayerLayer said:

Yeah that's always a bonus with someone who knows what their doing im sure he will sort it out for you.

I guess I was naive to think that I could simply fuel the thing up and go for a run, just a bit dejecting after spending a fair bit of cash to get all the parts I need to even run the thing and then not be able to run it. 

12 minutes ago, locky said:

I have no experience of the FTX Carnage but had nitro Savage for many years..

Are you still running in a new engine?

Can you start it on a stand with wheels off the ground and test it without driving?

Not sure whether you can get it idling with steady rpm and then it screams away when you touch the throttle and rpms stay high when you let off throttle/

Watch the servo and throttle linkage and carn and check the carb opening and closing and staying closed at neutral throttle? 

High revs at idle could be lean LSN, high revs hanging when let off throttle could be lean HSN,

If it is new engine then you should be running rich settings for a few tanks.

Its currently got the old broken in engine as I need to get my experience - its just a simple Go18 engine, it will be a carb setting, although I do have issues priming it and I have a feeling it might be something to do with the tank lid not sealing 100% which would then stop the fuel feed to the carb.

Should have bought new really as then I would know everything was stock settings and should work correctly, the larger .28 engine for the project I still have to fit - need to mod the chassis to be able to run it and can only bump start it as the pull starter exploded.

5 minutes ago, m1tch_87 said:

I guess I was naive to think that I could simply fuel the thing up and go for a run, just a bit dejecting after spending a fair bit of cash to get all the parts I need to even run the thing and then not be able to run it. 

I remember when I got my first nitro i was 3 weeks just trying to start it as it was a brand new engine then i aventually got it going with a hairdryer lol but them 3 weeks i almost started to hate the hobby but then it work and i loved it and im still here :D

2 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Probably a Trophy :D 

LOL! I can vouch for that :D

Hiya Mitch :)

I'd say stick with it dood... Nitro can be a pain compared to the "plug and go" electric cars, but I love the noise and all that smoke :D

• Like 1

I will stick at it for a bit longer - I have enough invested in it already! Hopefully when everything starts working correctly it will start becoming fun, I know that last time it was running (when it had to be stopped by a fence) when I did pin 100% open it shot off like a rocket, really very fast and even my father in law was impressed, alas I wasn't meaning to go 100% lol 

Need to build up my confidence a bit more with it considering its basically a high speed hot metal tea tray with flammable liquid on board!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thedrum2010 said:

Whereabouts are you based?

Maybe a fellow forum member could help you out with initial setup.

I am in Hertfordshire, I will try and sort a few things out myself though, I will try and reset the carb to factory again and work from there, will also ensure that the tank is airtight.

5 minutes ago, m1tch_87 said:

I am in Hertfordshire, I will try and sort a few things out myself though, I will try and reset the carb to factory again and work from there, will also ensure that the tank is airtight.

I'm about half hour away from you, dunno if there is anyone closer? 

I will take another shot at it myself, will read the manual and perhaps bring a tablet outdoors with youtube up lol I think an issue might have been if the fuel tank wasn't 100% sealed correctly and then bumped open it might then have cut out. Might find that its actually working fine but its just a sealing issue with the tank or something - will give it another shot.