• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHO's Axial Wraith 3 point 0h!

Oh How Original

Been hankering after another Wraith for a good while now, so I've been buying bits and bobs, got a Hitec 5955, Castle BEC and a 4Ch Spektrum receiver, managed to pick up a good base of a roller from Gaz and bought the rest of the electrics, decided to do brushless with this one, in the hopes of the electrics lasting longer than 5 minutes which is how far I used to get on brushed gear, had a little money saved up and got a second hand roller instead of a kit, so put that saved cash towards electrics.
I've bought a HobbyWing 120a SCT-Pro ESC to pair to a 21.5t (roughly 2000kv I think) Tekin motor and a pair of Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000mAh 3s 60C LiPos.
Discovered in stock form they won't fit the front compartment of the Wraith so I've been modifying this evening, need to cut out a few bits tomorrow with the Dremel and I'm hoping that will do it and they'll slide in perfectly.
Also given it a quick clean over, trimmed the body shell parts and wrapped them in carbon for a cleaner look, just going to be doing subtle things like that to make it my own :)
Still awaiting some stuff arriving and have a few more things to buy that I'm hoping to grab second hand.
And hopefully the LiPos will land tomorrow so I can finally find out if they are going to fit or not.

When it arrived...

IMG_5625_zps9qicmlaw.jpg

How it sat before I pulled it apart to modify :P

IMG_5630_zpszlpybmlu.jpg

Edited by Oh How Original

Got all the electrics in, well, temporarily anyway, they're just sat in the back for the moment, until I get these LiPos so I can test everything out, having give it a small run round my bedroom and felt the torque by trying to hold it, I don't even know if 3s is going to be necessary! So if they don't fit I might get some more 2s' and stick with those.

Also put the Savox 1258 just for testing because it's spare and my horn hasn't arrived for the Hitec yet, possibly going to do a bit of a garden test tomorrow.

I've double foamed the wheels/tyres and fit some black wheels on the tyres instead of the chrome ones I had, I think it looks better.

IMG_5636_zpsi2d6iqmd.jpg

I also got some lights working as well but need to re-do them all because the light controller in at the moment isn't working, they're staying permanently on, I want the ability to turn them off so I'll eventually plumb all the new ones in.

Might even get a light bar or use one of my Axial ones with 5 spot lights.

See when I can be bothered to do more soldering.

IMG_5640-2_zpstshktjeh.jpg

That's what the stock light controller does mate, makes them come on straight away and stay on.

if you want them on a switch then you need one of them receiver switch things, turnigy make them but can't remember what the exact name is for them.

looks good so far though mate.

9 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Got all the electrics in, well, temporarily anyway, they're just sat in the back for the moment, until I get these LiPos so I can test everything out, having give it a small run round my bedroom and felt the torque by trying to hold it, I don't even know if 3s is going to be necessary! So if they don't fit I might get some more 2s' and stick with those.

Also put the Savox 1258 just for testing because it's spare and my horn hasn't arrived for the Hitec yet, possibly going to do a bit of a garden test tomorrow.

I've double foamed the wheels/tyres and fit some black wheels on the tyres instead of the chrome ones I had, I think it looks better.

IMG_5636_zpsi2d6iqmd.jpg

I also got some lights working as well but need to re-do them all because the light controller in at the moment isn't working, they're staying permanently on, I want the ability to turn them off so I'll eventually plumb all the new ones in.

Might even get a light bar or use one of my Axial ones with 5 spot lights.

See when I can be bothered to do more soldering.

IMG_5640-2_zpstshktjeh.jpg

Morning bud

Dose the servo horn hit the chassis running it like that?

It does, it's not a permanent fixture, neither is the servo, I just wanted to make sure of the lengths of the steering links and so on.

And aye I figured that Gaz lol, I've got one but it's different plugs, so I'll have to do it when I can be bothered to solder :lol: but I'll most likely change all the LEDs out anyway because I've got some of the brightest LEDs you can buy that Lee made for me.

• Like 1

Gave this a little garden run today, felt like the slipper was loose, so took everything out to get to it and tightened it right up, decided to move all the electrics to under the bonnet while I was at it, sooo much better although I wish I could get it a bit neater, it's just cable tied right now.
Anyway went back out and something is still slipping but I can't see what, when turning the wheels by hand, nothing slips, when trying to climb something steep, if I give it too much power, it slips, so I'll have to see what it's like when I'm actually out on the trails, pretty happy with the torque and wheelspeed of 2s though, so if these 3s LiPos don't fit, it won't be the end of the world, I'll run it on 2s, once I find some nice small ones!

As you might know, the RR10 has very limited space for batteries and normal size lipos don't fit very well.

Looking for 3s that is smaller, had good luck with the higher priced floureon ones (nearly £30 a piece)

They work very well in my bomber and fit perfectly, 5000mah

EBay item 191735578352

Edited by ostewart

Thanks Oscar I will check them out if these 3s packs sell, hopefully they will, then I might try one of those Floureon packs out :) then again I may stick on 2s, turn the punch up a little (I turned it down for testing out) and I could even go up in pinion if I wanted to, currently on 87/15, if needed I could go to an 80t spur perhaps.

We'll see how the sale of these Turnigy packs goes.

Gave this a nice little run today, until it went tumbling down a 50ish foot banking we climb up and snapped both the servo mounts, thankfully the servo lived which is all I'm bothered about.
Rather annoyingly, the LiPos I bought don't fit comfortably, it's not worth risking piercing one, so I'll have to sell them and buy something smaller.
It ran great until the accident, took a good few hits and nothing else broke, very happy I now seem to have a reliable Wraith, electrically speaking.

20160226_121819_resized-2_zpsvfukisay.jp

20160226_121133_resized-2_zpsruhl2p5u.jp

20160226_125358_resized-2_zpsfxbkuum0.jp

20160226_121653_resized-2_zpsype29qcp.jp

20160226_122113_resized-2_zpsoin1gfku.jp

20160226_121639_resized-2_zpsf3impzgp.jp

Agreed, I don't think I'd go back to brushed with one now, unless it was a Kershaw motor or something, I looked at fitting a Summit brushed motor because my mates runs 4s for fun and has never overheated, but the mounting holes don't line up with the Wraith motor mount.

I am 90% sure it would actually fit though.

On 3s with one of those it would be as reliable as brushless IMO, having seen one in action.

What electrics are you running? And what sort of run times are you seeing?

I've changed the gearing now, gone from 87/16 to 67/14, which should pick up the wheelspeed a bit, so I might actually stay on 2s, it's notn an important thing but my LEDs are also designed for 2s so that would be a nice bonus to be able to use some in it.

Only downside to this ESC is it's size, it's pretty big, I'm considering taking the fan off and the case and just dipping the whole lot in Plastidip, has anyone had any experience doing this, any over heating issues?

Would greatly appreciate some feedback and opinions on that idea.

Few little updates with this, I wasn't happy with how all the electrics where, I also wanted to add some lights that could be controlled off the tx, I also decided as I never want to run a winch and had a 4ch receiver, I'd have some 'low beam' lights and also spotlights, all controlled separately... If I ever wish to run a winch or anything else, I can just plug them all in together.

These are some lights made for me by Lee with the most powerful MCD LEDs we could find between us, so they're definitely bright, of course, me being smart, was looking right at the spot lights when I turned the ESC on!

I definitely won't ever lose it in the dark anyway.

As you can probably see from the overspray, I've also added a little bit of colour, I sprayed the outside as I can't find a replacement body for the Wraith... Sorry AJ, I know it's in bad taste to copy someone elses design idea but I wanted a small amount of colour so I stole your idea for this... Matching blue to my SCX10... Even though these pictures don't show it, I'll take some next time out to get an idea of it :)

IMG_5650_zpslsvmj2wi.jpg

IMG_5651_zpspdbjidri.jpg

IMG_5652_zpsho7oxfqd.jpg

IMG_5653-2_zps2efvpnii.jpg

IMG_5657-2_zps77thyuuy.jpg

• Like 2

I've got a great brushed set up in Boudicca, QR1060 esc and Axial 55t can. I did a lot of research into which cans could handle 3s power and the 55t was the winner. She's got the essential BEC wired in and is running a Hitech servo for steering and a Futabo 3003 for shifting duties. So far she hasn't missed a beat and has so much torque has twisted two rear propshafts (boggo placcy tubes) so is being treated to some beefy metal items from Jaz Rider. 

They are extremely bright Daymo, Lee did a great job in advising me which to buy, then I got him to wire them all up with the right resistors and so on... I'm thinking of putting some 8mm ones in the SCX10's spotlights, which will be even brighter, given these ones are 5mm :P

And you're very lucky Tim, although I have heard the HPI GT550 is a good motor in a Wraith on 3s.

I burned out 4 motors in that one of yours.

10 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

And you're very lucky Tim, although I have heard the HPI GT550 is a good motor in a Wraith on 3s.

I burned out a couple of cans too, that's why I did some research lol. I can't see how a 550 can fit in the Wraith, there's not much room between the end of the 540 can and the end of the skid. Am holding out for the Trail Breaker 55t rebuildable Axial can. But till then, the standard 55t will suffice :yes:

That's not to say I wouldn't like a brushless Wraith and reserve the right to first refusal on your rig :P 

15 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

They are extremely bright Daymo, Lee did a great job in advising me which to buy, then I got him to wire them all up with the right resistors and so on... I'm thinking of putting some 8mm ones in the SCX10's spotlights, which will be even brighter, given these ones are 5mm :P

I was thinking of getting something like this to replace the buckets on my SCX10 http://www.rcbitz.com/scale-crawler-accessories/lighting-led-buckets/rc4wd-high-performance-smd-led-light-bar-100mm-4-7-4v-receiver-plug-z-e0056/ but now I'm tempted with what you have!

I don't knoow if you'll be able to get the ones I have, they were made for me ;)

And Tim, I'm not sure but I know a few lads who run it and they say it's very reliable with good poke... I'm happy with the brushless set up.

Noj, it probably was, it had some skull stickers that are similar if not identical to what you have on I believe your 5sc?

Perhaps it was the 5ive, can't quite remember.

I don't knoow if you'll be able to get the ones I have, they were made for me [emoji6]

And Tim, I'm not sure but I know a few lads who run it and they say it's very reliable with good poke... I'm happy with the brushless set up.

Noj, it probably was, it had some skull stickers that are similar if not identical to what you have on I believe your 5sc?

Perhaps it was the 5ive, can't quite remember.

I was looking at making some up but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of sorting out resistors & all the wiring, I used to like all that when I was at college doing electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk