• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Adjusting suspension rebound

coffeecup

Hey everyone,

I just wondered if people could give me some advice on suspension. I've never really bothered to tune it and when I raced often my father would help me with a lot of the technical aspects and it seems rebound is something I never picked up. My confusion comes when we get to rebound. Is there any way to directly effect rebound. I have tried using piston heads with smaller holes but obviously that greatly effects the dampening and makes the entire suspension sluggish. A thinner oil or harder spring creates a bumpy ride and causes the suspension to bounce the car back up, effetely just bouncing across the surface like a rally car, which obviously causes traction issues and then crashes. Ultimately I want to the truck to return to it's set ride hight but not aggressively. On my motorcycle I have little valves I adjust to effect the flow rate to the external res that manages this but obviously that isn't a feature I have on stock suspension. How does it work?! 

• oil thickness controls the speed.
  • piston holes determine the 'pack'
  • piston shapes: eg conical, allow for 1 speed up and another speed down.
  • The spring is your shock absorber.

Theres a US company that makes adjustable speed pistons too.

Google 'tuning with camber links rc ' ;)

On 2/15/2016 at 4:29 PM, coffeecup said:

Hey everyone,

A thinner oil or harder spring creates a bumpy ride and causes the suspension to bounce the car back up, effetely just bouncing across the surface like a rally car, which obviously causes traction issues and then crashes. Ultimately I want to the truck to return to it's set ride hight but not aggressively. On my motorcycle I have little valves I adjust to effect the flow rate to the external res that manages this but obviously that isn't a feature I have on stock suspension. How does it work?

• choose springs 1st (no oil)
  • then go up in oil thickness until this 'bumpyness' goes away
  • then go up further until wheels bounce off the ground.

This will be your oil range :)

Edited by Deafty

• 3 years later...
On 16/02/2016 at 21:45, Deafty said:
  • oil thickness controls the speed.
  • piston holes determine the 'pack'

I have found that these do exactly the same thing. Smaller piston holes with thinner oil is no different to thicker oil with larger piston holes.

• piston shapes: eg conical, allow for 1 speed up and another speed down.

I have found this makes no difference at all.

• The spring is your shock absorber.

The oil is what absorbs the shock. The springs lead to the rebound of the shock.

Theres a US company that makes adjustable speed pistons too.

Google 'tuning with camber links rc ' ;)

• choose springs 1st (no oil)
  • then go up in oil thickness until this 'bumpyness' goes away
  • then go up further until wheels bounce off the ground.

This will be your oil range :)