• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

With sintered crown gears, I'd be aiming for a higher revving motor with less torque. This 2028 combo is just adding weight and torque, I feel that's a recipe for disaster. I suppose if you keep it down on 6S and up the ratio to bring the speed up, it might stand a better chance as the motor will have been "hobbled" somewhat. 

29 minutes ago, Tug said:

With sintered crown gears, I'd be aiming for a higher revving motor with less torque. This 2028 combo is just adding weight and torque, I feel that's a recipe for disaster. I suppose if you keep it down on 6S and up the ratio to bring the speed up, it might stand a better chance as the motor will have been "hobbled" somewhat. 

This is why I'm swaying to the 1350kv motor, unless it would be better to get a 950kv to be more suitable 

6 minutes ago, NG15 said:

This is why I'm swaying to the 1350kv motor, unless it would be better to get a 950kv to be more suitable 

What are the dimensions and voltage limits of both? 

Not that one Al....perhaps a little short for the X ;)

5892 is a nice size. Will pull more amps than the 950kv, easily rectified with the right gearing.

As Tug asked, what is the voltage limit on it? 

The 2028 does slot in very nicely, I'd like to see a beefed up drivetrain to deal with it properly though.

I've seen a leopard 5682 1650kv motor. Maybe that would be good? 

Very similar kv to the stock motor. Not sure how much bigger if at all it is tho....

some are saying tho that it's the esc and not necessarily the motor we should be concerned about... As with an esc change some say the stock motor runs cooler. God knows why that would be!?

Edited by Ocdcbr
  • Like 1

Hmm all this talk of motors, esc and driveshafts has a nasty pattern to it, seems like Traxxas just can't get these areas right for love nor money :( 

I do hope this isn't the case or I can see this fast becoming a money pit :ack:

Ocdcbr 

Do you know if there was any damage to the Diffs from that driveshaft breakage ? 

That's almost identical length, but considerably thicker. You'd need the Kershaw mount and probably an 8mm pinion, but with the extra torque you could probably gear up a bit and achieve the much sought after 45ish mph. 

I'd still ditch the ESC and fit a 150 Amp ESC from any of the obvious manufacturers. 

1 hour ago, mydoddy69 said:

Hmm all this talk of motors, esc and driveshafts has a nasty pattern to it, seems like Traxxas just can't get these areas right for love nor money :( 

I do hope this isn't the case or I can see this fast becoming a money pit :ack:

Ocdcbr 

Do you know if there was any damage to the Diffs from that driveshaft breakage ? 

Not as far as I know...

3 hours ago, NG15 said:

Haven't touch mine since last week. Mad busy at work :(

I still have not run mine! :samui:

resorted to to taking it to work in the van today in the hope I'd finish b4 it got dark.... Sadly just too busy and it didn't happen. 

54 minutes ago, Ocdcbr said:

I still have not run mine! :samui:

resorted to to taking it to work in the van today in the hope I'd finish b4 it got dark.... Sadly just too busy and it didn't happen. 

Yep same here. Still not had a single bash as yet. Just tinkering with it. 

Done diff levels.  Checked slipper clutch. Fitted twin castle fans over motor heat sink also another  single fan over esc. 

Longing for the weekend. 

Yes traxxas now come clean and there is a recall notice. 

I have ordered the bluetooth module from eBay...i like the idea of being able to make easy adjustments to the truck thru the traxxas app on my iPhone. Motor temp is also something i'd like to be able to see while i'm running. Think thats it right? i need more sensors to do anything else i think? or maybe i can see some sort of batt voltage too? not sure

1 hour ago, sean-vrs said:

just posting this to make owners aware, do not leave batterys connected in the truck

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?9054177-Velineon-VXL-6s-Electronic-Speed-Control-Recall

And just to add to that

https://traxxas.com/support/repair-exchange/20160115

been thinking about some form of bumper mod or wheelie bar.... the bottom of the bumper is just way too square...and u can see from the pic why if it does touch down it can dig in and cause all sorts of unwanted anti wheelie action...

IMG_4672_zpsleyiimqb.jpg

IMG_4673_zps8n1ermya.jpg

and a pic of my smallest rc's on my biggest....:D

IMG_4665_zpspumjgozq.jpg

Edited by Ocdcbr

25 minutes ago, Ocdcbr said:

I have ordered the bluetooth module from eBay...i like the idea of being able to make easy adjustments to the truck thru the traxxas app on my iPhone. Motor temp is also something i'd like to be able to see while i'm running. Think thats it right? i need more sensors to do anything else i think? or maybe i can see some sort of batt voltage too? not sure

I have ordered one from MS but there on back order. Where did u order from? Have u got a link? 

The voltage and temp sensors are already installed in out truck. It will all show on our phones. Also brake strength etc is adjustable which is needed IMO.