• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

1 hour ago, mydoddy69 said:

Yeah looks good but I had the 8s exb Kraton just found it a bit too tame where as the 8s outcast exb is much more up my street it’s an animal on steroids 😂😂

Cant see myself gelling with a XRT not like I did with the X Maxx 

I did consider the Outcast EXB 8s, but it'd end up being noticeably more expensive than an XRT - not quite a fan of that. Between Kraton 8s and XRT is no contest, zero interest in the Kraton - Outcast 8s vs XRT is tight, but in the end i'm looking at at least £700 for the roller, around £350 for the motor/ESC, £100ish for the servo, new batteries (my CNHL wouldn't fit) etc. 

If i had a system to throw in it, i'd probably would've gone that route to save money, but i only got the MMX8s/1650kv free, not gonna work. As it is, the XRT is a decent enough package - can run it out of the box, throw a Max6 in it and it'll do me for a while. Not to mention that after the K6s EXB debacle, i need to see one in person before i'd genuinely consider it. 

Edited by m4inbrain

3 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

thought i was over it, but i just love the looks of it, need to have one. 

I have a better idea. Install the Widemaxx kit, throw on XRT shocks and you have a X Maxx/XRT hybrid. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying another $1k vehicle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SYST3M_OVERIDE said:

I have a better idea. Install the Widemaxx kit, throw on XRT shocks and you have a X Maxx/XRT hybrid. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying another $1k vehicle.

Nah, my idea is better. Having two big rigs as opposed to one is definitely better.

Sure, pretty steep - but if i turn the X-Maxx into a poverty spec XRT, i then need another X-Maxx to scratch the X-Maxx itch. 

After reading a bit into it, i also am not the greatest fan of the factory wide kit. Eventually it'll get extenders, but as long as the standard motor etc is still in there, the current track works well enough. Once there's more weight higher up in the truck, i'll go slightly wider. 

To be clear: there's gonna be a new big rig. Either XRT, Outcast 8s EXB or SCX6 - all have ups and downs (particularly in regards to how and where as well as who with i run), the XRT just ticks the most boxes. I'll probably end up with all of them eventually.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Nah, my idea is better. Having two big rigs as opposed to one is definitely better.

Sure, pretty steep - but if i turn the X-Maxx into a poverty spec XRT, i then need another X-Maxx to scratch the X-Maxx itch. 

After reading a bit into it, i also am not the greatest fan of the factory wide kit. Eventually it'll get extenders, but as long as the standard motor etc is still in there, the current track works well enough. Once there's more weight higher up in the truck, i'll go slightly wider. 

To be clear: there's gonna be a new big rig. Either XRT, Outcast 8s EXB or SCX6 - all have ups and downs (particularly in regards to how and where as well as who with i run), the XRT just ticks the most boxes. I'll probably end up with all of them eventually.

I thought at first the XRT looked kinda cool but but the more I study it the less I like it. Never been a fan of truggies and I don't really understand the point. You want to go fast and be stable? Buggy. You want big ground clearance and tons of shock travel for huge jumps? Monster truck. I had an Kraton 6s but I got bored of it within the first few weeks so I sold it.

Edited by SYST3M_OVERIDE

7 minutes ago, SYST3M_OVERIDE said:

Never been a fan of truggies

I'm the same tbh but as a rule I always have a MT and a buggy in my collection. I enjoy the "i'm totally gonna traction roll any second now" nature of mt's and as you say the speed and stability of a buggy so the few truggies I've had never really excited me. With the absence of a buggy though I can see why people like them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Ordered Tekno pinion/GDS spur (20/46)

Mines on 20/50 on the stock motor and i'm happy enough with it.  I think my wheels are slightly bigger than stock though but they barely balloon  so probably fairly similar. Not sure what more I'd want out of it really but I do run in smallish areas so I'm not just hooning round a field.

6 hours ago, SYST3M_OVERIDE said:

I thought at first the XRT looked kinda cool but but the more I study it the less I like it. Never been a fan of truggies and I don't really understand the point. You want to go fast and be stable? Buggy. You want big ground clearance and tons of shock travel for huge jumps? Monster truck. I had an Kraton 6s but I got bored of it within the first few weeks so I sold it.

Cool. That's the joy of this hobby: you don't need to like what i'm buying. Don't take this the wrong way, it doesn't really matter much to me what you like as long as i am the one who's paying for it. What matters is that i like it, regardless of what RC i'm buying and for whatever reason. 

5 hours ago, Ross9999992 said:

With the absence of a buggy though I can see why people like them. 

Hm. 

aGlKckI.jpg

CiiLi07.png

RLejm0N.png

pc28qa3.png

Yeah i don't think that's it. I think i just like truggies better - from experience.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 2

Typhon 3s v3, i thought a buggy connoisseur would be able to tell that - and yeah, of course i store them without wheels. Your statement is that people like truggies "in the absence of buggies" - which is clearly nonsense, since there's plenty of buggies of all weight, size and price classes present (or were, since i've sold every single one bar the DBXL-E and that i traded for a Felony + top up) and i still much prefer either an Outcast or XRT. 

Buggies are not only boring (that's the reason why i sold the Felony on, too), they also don't run where we take our RCs because they don't make it over the pebbles. The DBXL-E did, but at over 30lbs, not what i'd consider a basher. And i can say that as someone who owned buggies from (real) 1/5th to 1/10th, in both offroad and street trim, from 8s to 6s to 3s. They're not fun to me. Much like the Felony wasn't - if i want to "bash" something on level ground or slightly bumpy grass at best, i'll take the Infraction 3s i still have somewhere. Since i have exactly one run on it, in front of the house, when i got it (it's a year old).. Doesn't happen too often.

In fact, i'd rate my crawlers more exciting (maybe "interesting" is the better word) than buggies. 

I will say that my so far only excursion into truggies didn't end well either, since i got so blood boilingly mad with it that i sold it for £100 (plus lifetime access to his pressure washer/water) to a neighbour - but that's on me and the fact that a 75+ mph truggy (6s EXB) doesn't hold up well to bashing by nature, meaning every time i took it out it had to come apart again because something else either broke or got bent. If that happens with the (much closer to stock) XRT or Outcast 8s EXB too, then i'm cured in that regard too and just have to hope that Traxxas at some point releases another X-Maxx. 

My point was actually that I can see why people like truggies but personally I prefer buggies. So….

16 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Yeah i don't think that's it. I think i just like truggies better - from experience

I will say that my so far only excursion into truggies didn't end well either, since i got so blood boilingly mad with it that i sold it for £100 (plus lifetime access to his pressure washer/water) to a neighbour

Your experience of owning and then selling on loads of boring buggies and one infuriating bendy truggy?

Yep. Good one. I’ve owned more truggies than buggies myself. 

Feel free to be offended by and go on another unnecessary rant in regards to this post as well though. 

Oh and because I mostly post stuff just for conversation or to be helpful unlike some you probably shouldn’t get the outcast 8s either. Similar problems to the 6s - everybody knows this by simply doing the tiniest bit of research whereas the traxxas are fairly robust out of the box of course.

Dbxl…yeah, it’s not as bashable as an xmaxx well done. But of course you don’t like your xmaxx either. Or the felony you had or the infraction you have somewhere and don’t use. Maybe just sell the xmaxx and stick to crawlers no?

• Haha 2

On 06/03/2023 at 21:03, mydoddy69 said:

where as the 8s outcast exb is much more up my street it’s an animal on steroids

Sigh..

What system are you running in it? 800kv or 1100kv? 

Can get a new roller for £600, now i wanna price it up but not sure what i can get away with. 

On 08/03/2023 at 00:00, Ross9999992 said:

My point was actually that I can see why people like truggies but personally I prefer buggies. So….

Probably should've made that point then, rather than the one you actually did. It's of course entirely up to you what you prefer and i wouldn't dare to suggest otherwise, but it's a pretty awful conversation starter to tell someone that he likes truggies because he doesn't have a buggy. I'm not sure what you're expecting. And regardless of what you're saying in this statement: read the one you originally made objectively.

Oh and because I mostly post stuff just for conversation or to be helpful unlike some you probably shouldn’t get the outcast 8s either. Similar problems to the 6s - everybody knows this by simply doing the tiniest bit of research whereas the traxxas are fairly robust out of the box of course.

I don't mind people being helpful, what i do mind is unsolicited advice, especially the kind of "well you just don't know better". What kind of conversation do you think is going to come off of it? Or in fact this one: you're suggesting that i should've "done my research" when i got a first batch EXB - research into what? There was like two EXBs with the drivetrain i've run (at least visible in forums) - do you think i'm dropping £1000+ on an RC without reading at the very least superficially into it? The issues i had weren't the "usual suspects" like chassis bending. 

Dbxl…yeah, it’s not as bashable as an xmaxx well done. But of course you don’t like your xmaxx either. Or the felony you had or the infraction you have somewhere and don’t use. Maybe just sell the xmaxx and stick to crawlers no?

Yeah, i didn't know that the DBXL wasn't as bashable, only found out after i took it out. Obviously. Because i didn't look at it, i didn't know that i bought a 1/5th buggy. I also never said i don't like my X-Maxx, i said it's not fun anymore because it's too slow. It seems to be hard for you to accept opinions other than your own, but that's reality. I in fact love my X-Maxx, i love how robust it is (after my VXL8s "blew up" on the third run anyway), and how it handles. That's where the entire issue lies, in case you haven't noticed i'm trying to get more out of it without converting it into something that isn't an X-Maxx anymore (and getting annoyed by the fact that there doesn't seem to be a way). There's a reason why i have it for almost 4 years now, when the usual turnover rate lies at a few months at best. 

We can end the conversation here, i don't think we're going to have a pleasant conversation anytime soon. Which is okay, not everyone is compatible. Doesn't mean we need to get personal, as a hint. 

Edited by m4inbrain

OK guys let's keep this forum positive. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and choices. Live and learn is a big part of this hobby. Wouldn't be fun otherwise...though our wallets would disagree lol.

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

Sigh..

What system are you running in it? 800kv or 1100kv? 

Can get a new roller for £600, now i wanna price it up but not sure what i can get away with. 

I’ve tried both  and ended up with neither instead stuck with a leopard 1100kv which has the same size can as the 800kv Hobbywing, but if you can’t find one of those the 800kkv is the way to go don’t waste your money on the little 1100kv Hobbywing 

• Thanks 1

🥱🥱 reread my post objectively made me giggle so thanks for that…maybe I could have worded it slightly better to stop grumpy people being offended but everyone else in the world knows what I meant so never mind. The only unsolicited advice I’ve offered you is stick to crawlers, you’re the one that started all the unpleasant nonsense  and getting personal so? Am I supposed to start shouting and swearing or something? 

2 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

I’ve tried both  and ended up with neither instead stuck with a leopard 1100kv which has the same size can as the 800kv Hobbywing, but if you can’t find one of those the 800kkv is the way to go don’t waste your money on the little 1100kv Hobbywing 

I'll have a look, did lean towards the 800kv though. 

One more question, since there's varying answers around - can you extend the battery trays to over 175mm, or am i looking at another set of batteries too?

14 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I'll have a look, did lean towards the 800kv though. 

One more question, since there's varying answers around - can you extend the battery trays to over 175mm, or am i looking at another set of batteries too?

Never tried I’ll have a look 👍

3 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Never tried I’ll have a look 👍

Cheers - new packs are 172mm long, would suck if they didn't fit 😞

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

Extend the battery trays of what?

6 hours ago, SYST3M_OVERIDE said:

Oh. I was about to say, the X Maxx is longer than that lol.

Yeah, the new packs fit nicely in there - don't really fancy throwing money at another set when i haven't even run this one yet, batteries ain't cheap and no fun to shop for. There's no real "go-to" brand in the UK (no SMC etc), it's all murky. 

On the upside, new spur arrived today, once the pinion arrives from Amain, "operation overheat" is commencing. Maybe i should throw a new set of fans at the motor while it's out (something that fits the original shroud but has more oomph). 

edit: after an entire day of a nagging feeling - after ordering that Tekno pinion - that i'm missing something, i finally realised what that "something" was. See, the plan three or four years ago already was to gear it 20/50, so back then i ordered a GDS 50t spur, and a Tekno 20t pinion (the very same one i ordered again now). Coming installation, it turned out that the grub screw of the pinion on the motor was stripped (wanted the Snap On Van, had to go used). Well, now that the rig is in pieces.. the pinion didn't unstrip itself. Either i'll run it 18/46, or i'll figure out a safe way to get it off - there appears to be some threadlock of sorts between pinion and shaft as well (seeped out the front of the pinion). 

I've tried screw extractors in the past with rather mixed results (more often than not it doesn't work for me, though the kits usually are amazon specials so no high end bits), so i guess i'll go straight to the drill press or dremel - maybe i'll try a torx bit if i have a 2mm ish one (not sure), but failing that.. meh. 

Edited by m4inbrain

On 09/03/2023 at 16:04, m4inbrain said:

Cheers - new packs are 172mm long, would suck if they didn't fit 😞

Hi fella they might just squeeze in there, this said you could easily modify the tray for a few more mil so they’re not so tight . I doubt you’d get any more than say an extra 5mm from the stock 170 so maximum your looking at is 175 after modifying them 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Hi fella they might just squeeze in there, this said you could easily modify the tray for a few more mil so they’re not so tight . I doubt you’d get any more than say an extra 5mm from the stock 170 so maximum your looking at is 175 after modifying them 👍

Cheers, might take the packs and drive the 80 miles to my next LHS  - even though that's going to be a minefield in itself. So many shiny things. 175mm would barely fit, so there's a chance. I shall see. Thankoo.

Cheers, might take the packs and drive the 80 miles to my next LHS  - even though that's going to be a minefield in itself. So many shiny things. 175mm would barely fit, so there's a chance. I shall see. Thankoo.

Dumb question but can't you just move the tray forward a little, drill new mounting holes and cut the rear of the tray?