• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

Just a thought ....

1.  Like that, you won't get a 'Beast in there - I don't think you've enough room. I had to cut out to permit room for it ...

2. Confined like that, do you think you will limit the ESC's ability to cool / say cool - on the raised platform, ugly or not, it has air all around?

Al.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Just a thought ....

1.  Like that, you won't get a 'Beast in there - I don't think you've enough room. I had to cut out to permit room for it ...

2. Confined like that, do you think you will limit the ESC's ability to cool / say cool - on the raised platform, ugly or not, it has air all around?

Al.

Never gave me any cooling issues on the max6 sat in the same spot, none of the vents are covered and there seems plenty of air flow, plus this has a massive 45mm fan sucking lovely cool air ;) 

Even with my lipos  fitted there's still enough room around the vents to let any heat out but to be honest I'm expecting this to run super cool 

So no it shouldn't make a blind bit of difference to cooling IMO 

Edited by mydoddy69

8 hours ago, Timritchieblue said:

What you do? Just mash it in their?  Looks good.

Inset max5 then find a large but not too large hammer and hit it :P

1 hour ago, Ripoffbritain said:

good work boy

is their a video to follow 

how did you fix it

you must've took of the top rail 

Thanks fella and yes I did a quick vid hopefully it works out if not I'll post up some more pics when it's finished to show how ;) 

• Like 1

Ok. It was wet when I woke up, but then I figured if I keep waiting for a dry day Its going to be June...

I took the Xmaxx out to a local park. I intended staying on the path. I hooked up an old phone to get some speed readings.

5BEC57AF-4DC1-4BA9-A203-9CF57C1FBF77_zps

So the set up here is:

Max 6
Low C rating 8S Zippy's
Gearing is 14/50, which is effectively box stock gearing..

B3CC3867-BF65-4C30-BF1B-3FCF82EF69D5_zps

I stuck to the path, but the most I managed was 34mph. You could feel it had more, and I wasnt really giving it full beans because it was a fairly small space. I decided to go onto the wet grass which was very open.

The brakes are far too powerful so need turnig down, and it took a few runs to get a decent run (who knew driving in a straight line could be so hard. I kept hitting "hidden" dips and taking off. Anyway the end result was 40mph. So 10mph increase from stock, with stock gearing. Its cold and a bit wet which probably helped but the motor was only 107degrees F, and the Lipos and ESC were below 60f. I took this as a success and went home with no breakages.

9038E395-86ED-45B5-A252-37D15E4D3ED9_zps

I got home and decided to gear up. I first turned the brakes down

CC40F2AF-BF28-499A-B78B-79C593FEA72E_zps

Whilst the motor was out I decided to fit the Futaba Temp Sensor for my 4PV Radio.

852BA2E9-BD75-43B8-9BE0-A33F7EE28961_zps

Alll back together with an accurate (well compared to my temp gun) on the fly Temp on my TX. Complete with alarm should it go too high.

D1A361B0-C596-4C43-A856-01DB3B871EA2_zps

Could be a good idea, because digging through what I had pinion wise, the only gearing I had avaliable was 19/50 ;) We will see how hot it runs when I next go out, but honestly Ive drove it round outside my house and its BRUTAL. I am however expecting breakages... Learning curve eh?

Edited by Guns

These also came today:

959F5CC8-528D-4F96-89D2-E3407F813566_zps

I attempted the impossble and changed it without taking the front end off. Using old school L shape allen keys!

You can see the difference in thickeness of material around the hole here in this abysmal quality photo

88881B74-2185-4C3D-B465-A1CD46D19876_zps

I calipered what my stock one was, but must have been drunk as it was 44mm not 47.5mm, which I found out when I put it back together and was turning left ;)

67CA8BF1-D554-436C-88E1-A098AF76C0B4_zps

Much better

22804B48-D240-4B1B-A526-63C67CEA5D4F_zps

I got frustrated fitting it without taking the front end off, but its done, no pictures, youll have to trust me!

2 hours ago, Guns said:

These also came today:

959F5CC8-528D-4F96-89D2-E3407F813566_zps

I attempted the impossble and changed it without taking the front end off. Using old school L shape allen keys!

You can see the difference in thickeness of material around the hole here in this abysmal quality photo

88881B74-2185-4C3D-B465-A1CD46D19876_zps

I calipered what my stock one was, but must have been drunk as it was 44mm not 47.5mm, which I found out when I put it back together and was turning left ;)

67CA8BF1-D554-436C-88E1-A098AF76C0B4_zps

Much better

22804B48-D240-4B1B-A526-63C67CEA5D4F_zps

I got frustrated fitting it without taking the front end off, but its done, no pictures, youll have to trust me!

While you have the calipers out could you do me a favour and measure the width of one of the battery trays on the xmaxx fella?

Went back out. Bit too bumpy where I went this time, but i got a 43mph with kuch more to go. That said, it is getting to be a bit limited and can only run in optimum conditions. Im confident theres 50mph in this set up, even if it is pointless but suppose it goes to show you dont technically need the Power Up and can do it much cheaper. How reliable this will be long term I dont know. That said.... have the alloy arms took their first victim?

808E5C16-C545-43F8-8361-87B3601F4E7A_zpsAt

at least its a part ive never broke before haha. Now. RPm, Alloy or Stock?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guns said:

Ok. It was wet when I woke up, but then I figured if I keep waiting for a dry day Its going to be June...

I took the Xmaxx out to a local park. I intended staying on the path. I hooked up an old phone to get some speed readings.

5BEC57AF-4DC1-4BA9-A203-9CF57C1FBF77_zps

So the set up here is:

Max 6
Low C rating 8S Zippy's
Gearing is 14/50, which is effectively box stock gearing..

B3CC3867-BF65-4C30-BF1B-3FCF82EF69D5_zps

I stuck to the path, but the most I managed was 34mph. You could feel it had more, and I wasnt really giving it full beans because it was a fairly small space. I decided to go onto the wet grass which was very open.

The brakes are far too powerful so need turnig down, and it took a few runs to get a decent run (who knew driving in a straight line could be so hard. I kept hitting "hidden" dips and taking off. Anyway the end result was 40mph. So 10mph increase from stock, with stock gearing. 

Thats a bit naff to be honest I hit 33mph on stock gearing 15/54 on grass running 6s so you only gained 7mph from  running 8s and geared up. The trade off from running 8s isn't worth it IMO instead you could just gear up say 21/50 on 6s and be going faster than you are plus you wouldn't be over powering your set up like you will be on 19/50 on 8s 

Be interesting to see how many packs you can run on that gearing and 8s before you fry the motor your be reving  the nuts out of it at full throttle I would have thought. There's has already been lots of reports of motor failure due to running the new 8s kit so be careful fella.  

1 minute ago, mydoddy69 said:

Thats a bit naff to be honest I hit 33mph on stock gearing 15/54 on grass running 6s so you only gained 7mph from  running 8s and geared up. The trade off from running 8s isn't worth it IMO instead you could just gear up say 21/50 on 6s and be going faster than you are plus you wouldn't be over powering your set up like you will be on 19/50 on 8s 

Be interesting to see how many packs you can run on that gearing and 8s before you fry the motor your be reving  the nuts out of it at full throttle I would have thought. There's has already been lots of reports of motor failure due to running the new 8s kit so be careful fella.  

I werent geared up on the 40mph run. I was geared 14/50 which is almost identical to stock. So 7mph more than your stock gearing run from the extra 7.4v on wet grass. Pretty good IMO. On 19/50 which it is now should be over 50mph. As pointless as that is

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Went back out. Bit too bumpy where I went this time, but i got a 43mph with kuch more to go. That said, it is getting to be a bit limited and can only run in optimum conditions. Im confident theres 50mph in this set up, even if it is pointless but suppose it goes to show you dont technically need the Power Up and can do it much cheaper. How reliable this will be long term I dont know. That said.... have the alloy arms took their first victim?

808E5C16-C545-43F8-8361-87B3601F4E7A_zpsAt

at least its a part ive never broke before haha. Now. RPm, Alloy or Stock?

Might not have snapped but looks like it would've come off the bottom anyway.

Reckon you might need a captured nut/bolt hinge pin on the bottom now.

Never been a fan of the ones where a screw is just covering a little bit. Slide out too easy.

9 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

Might not have snapped but looks like it would've come off the bottom anyway.

Reckon you might need a captured nut/bolt hinge pin on the bottom now.

Never been a fan of the ones where a screw is just covering a little bit. Slide out too easy.

The bottom hasnt cracked and the screw is still in. Strange!

I can drive to wheelspin in the morning and get stockers or RPMs with the oversized bearing. What do

we think is best?

ill prob get alloy ones anyway eventually....

1 hour ago, Guns said:

The bottom hasnt cracked and the screw is still in. Strange!

I can drive to wheelspin in the morning and get stockers or RPMs with the oversized bearing. What do

we think is best?

ill prob get alloy ones anyway eventually....

RPM seem good with the included bearings and added strength, I'm not really a fan of alloy as there's no give in it and tends to break the next part down the line imo.

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Anyone know what the stock version of this part is made out of?

http://www.fullforcerc.com/XMX012/

thanks

Alloy I think but they could be steel I wouldn't go carbon fibre myself though.. 

RPM hubs are brilliant really like mine, I wouldn't go alloy hubs either as all the ones I've seen run the silly little bearings plus like mr ripoff says your just move the stress down the line, which makes me wonder if them alloy arms didn't help trash that hub ? 

Dont get me wrong i like a bit of alloy but i like a bit of flex aswell in places 

36 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Alloy I think but they could be steel I wouldn't go carbon fibre myself though.. 

RPM hubs are brilliant really like mine, I wouldn't go alloy hubs either as all the ones I've seen run the silly little bearings plus like mr ripoff says your just move the stress down the line, which makes me wonder if them alloy arms didn't help trash that hub ? 

Dont get me wrong i like a bit of alloy but i like a bit of flex aswell in places 

The alloy arms ARE the reason the hub broke, a similar collision used to take out my shock shaft and upper a arm. Three times lol, so this has 'worked'. Replacement stock hubs are £7, as opposed to an upper arm and a set of shock shafts costing £30. 

According to their website at Wheelspin I can buy stockers. Cheap and cheerful. And maybe order alloy ones to be here within a month. Im actually confident if the stock braces are steel/alloy they will keep the chassis/bulkhead safe. That would leave lower arms as a weak point which isnt ideal. Or I can buy RPM With the oversized bearing (which is apparantly an issue?) that they have in stock at Wheelspin (apparantly) and pray they have enough flex to save the lower arms. If thats the case they will be perfect. Thing is I have $10 credit at RC mart meaning I can get the RPMs for less than a tenner delivered. Theyre £23 in Wheelspin/UK. Ill just see what happens when I go there. Ill prob end up with a helicopter or MTXL or something! Better leave my debit and credit card at home!

7 minutes ago, Guns said:

The alloy arms ARE the reason the hub broke, a similar collision used to take out my shock shaft and upper a arm. Three times lol, so this has 'worked'. Replacement stock hubs are £7, as opposed to an upper arm and a set of shock shafts costing £30. 

According to their website at Wheelspin I can buy stockers. Cheap and cheerful. And maybe order alloy ones to be here within a month. Im actually confident if the stock braces are steel/alloy they will keep the chassis/bulkhead safe. That would leave lower arms as a weak point which isnt ideal. Or I can buy RPM With the oversized bearing (which is apparantly an issue?) that they have in stock at Wheelspin (apparantly) and pray they have enough flex to save the lower arms. If thats the case they will be perfect. Thing is I have $10 credit at RC mart meaning I can get the RPMs for less than a tenner delivered. Theyre £23 in Wheelspin/UK. Ill just see what happens when I go there. Ill prob end up with a helicopter or MTXL or something! Better leave my debit and credit card at home!

No take  your card the MT XL is calling :) 

Hoping to get one myself this  year but will see, not buying anything now until after the Nuremberg toy fair ;) 

46 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

No take  your card the MT XL is calling :) 

Hoping to get one myself this  year but will see, not buying anything now until after the Nuremberg toy fair ;) 

Not unless my Mrs will accept us not going the Maldives this year ? Im in the dog house for leaving the order form for a new 1:1 car out without talking to her first. Imagine she came home to another big truck!

Regarding the Nuremberg Toy Fair. My best pal collects them 1:2 scale F1 helmets, we were considering going to Nuremberg Toy Fair this year hah. Left it too late mind, its in 2/3 weeks!

Edited by Guns
  • Like 1