• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

Finished work early at last! Just about to run the Xmaxx for the 1st time. Excited!.... And hoping not to be dissapointed!..... Funnily enough my cc bill was on the Matt just now... So I've got to play 4 it! :boredlook:

I've just taken the slipper cluth out my x maxx to check it. The manual says to fully tighten then let it out 1/8th of a turn? That doesn't seem much at all to me? It was much looser than that what I took it out.

Should I just follow the manual, what has everyone else done?

19 minutes ago, Ocdcbr said:
4 minutes ago, Evoc said:

I've just taken the slipper cluth out my x maxx to check it. The manual says to fully tighten then let it out 1/8th of a turn? That doesn't seem much at all to me? It was much looser than that what I took it out.

Should I just follow the manual, what has everyone else done?

Not much help but if it is to tight you will destroy diffs and shafts. but if it is to loose the spur will melt.  I would have it loose then keep testing & tightening it until you can not here it slip.

1 minute ago, Evoc said:

Thanks for the advice, what there advising just seems way too tight to me but I could be wrong I have only ever done a couple of slippers before.

Hopefully someone who owns an xmaxx can let me know. 

Cheers

set it then pull away hard   if it slips then tighten it up.

2 minutes ago, Evoc said:

i did it up fully, then undone about quarter of a turn and it didn't slip, Should i undo it abit more?

It is best to see at what point it slips.  But it can be a work up if the nut is hard to get to.

...so 1st impressions r pretty good. 

I didn't break it! So that's a good start!

performance wise it felt like 1/8 4s or just under. What I mean by that is the truck acted like that if the scales were the same... Like a 1:8 mt on 4s conservatively geared. 

It it feels like it's got plenty of low down torque but then quickly runs out of puff as others have said. It feels like it needs gearing up... I'm going to try an 18t pin I think... Or go to the 50 spur. 

Temps wise I had a max of 105 f on the motor and I think around 80f on the esc. 

I generally run for a few mins at a spot then move on so I was not bashing at full pace for a whole pack. I don't do that anyway.... I like to wonder from spot to spot on this disused golf course. Elsewhere I might be harder on the elecs and I'm sure I will be as confidence in its ability grows. 

I  took temps regularly so took the body on and off at least 6 times I'd guess... And that body latching system is superb! It works very well indeed! It's an excellent idea and well executed. 

I did make 2 small cracks in the rear bed corners exactly where you'd expect a body to be weak. From rear end impacts and catching the body when doing wheelies or going over backwards. 

It is not a backflip machine stock. Not even slightly. 

I did notice an esc glitch twice. Both times were when I was in mid air during a jump, trying to lift the front by pinning the throttle... Got no response. 

The servo also spazzed out once after a jump... Was upside down after crashing and the steering didn't centre for a cpl seconds then slowly went straight. 

The steering is adequate but not particularly powerful or quick. 

It was a lot of fun tho. Got it covered in mud... I like the tyres. Worked really well. Showered it off then wiped down and sprayed in gt85. Looks fine. I liked the way that despite all the mud the inside was very clean apart from the odd leaf/ twig. 

Batteries were all at 3.30v per cell after low voltage cut off.... Which seems on the low side. 

Generally happy. 

It could really do w some rear drive shaft/ shock guards to stop it getting caked in crap... Some form of wheelie bar so u can actually maintain a smooth wheelie once it's up and ideally a bit more power or gearing change up if it can take it!!?

Edited by Ocdcbr
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ocdcbr said:

...so 1st impressions r pretty good. 

I didn't break it! So that's a good start!

performance wise it felt like 1/8 4s or just under. What I mean by that is the truck acted like that if the scales were the same... Like a 1:8 mt on 4s conservatively geared. 

It it feels like it's got plenty of low down torque but then quickly runs out of puff as others have said. It feels like it needs gearing up... I'm going to try an 18t pin I think... Or go to the 50 spur. 

Temps wise I had a max of 105 f on the motor and I think around 80f on the esc. 

I generally run for a few mins at a spot then move on so I was not bashing at full pace for a whole pack. I don't do that anyway.... I like to wonder from spot to spot on this disused golf course. Elsewhere I might be harder on the elecs and I'm sure I will be as confidence in its ability grows. 

I I took temps regularly so took the body on and off at least 6 times I'd guess... And that body latching system is superb! It works very well indeed! It's an excellent idea and well executed. 

I I did make 2 small cracks in the rear bed corners ecmxactoy where you'd expect a body to be weak. From rear end impacts and catching the body when doing wheelies or going over backwards. 

Mathis is not a backflip machine stock. Not even slightly. 

I I did notice an esc glitch  twice. Both times were when I was in mid air during a jump, trying to lift the front by pinning the throttle... Got no response. 

The he servo also spazzed out once after a jump... Was upside down after crashing and the steering didn't centre for a cpl seconds then slowly went straight. 

The he steering is adequate but not particularly powerful or quick. 

It it was a lot of fun tho. Got it covered in mud... I like the tyres. Worked really well. Showered it off then wiped down and sprayed in gt85. Looks fine. I liked the way that despite all the mud the inside was very clean apart from the odd leaf/ twig. 

Batteries were all at 3.30v per cell after low voltage cut off.... Which seems on the low side. 

Generally happy. 

It it could really do w some rear drive shaft/ shock guards to stop it getting caked in crap... Some form of wheelie bar so u can actually maintain a smooth wheelie once it's up and ideally a bit more power or gearing change up if it can take it!!?

So not a fail then, just needs tweaks here and there? A better servo and an ESC that can handle the extra load that gearing up will produce? 

That is big air for sure! I wonder what gearing he was running... And if the shocks were stick setup...

it looks quicker than mine stock I think... And I'm guessing it's running lots of preload and thick fluid as stock it's soft!... Too soft for that surely?

myself I'd not be concerned about getting it up there... But about having enough excess throttle to keep the nose up if required. I have a similar ramp myself that I will have to try the maxx on once I'm ready to break it. 

Me likey!!

Nice jumping.

At first I thought this is boring ... then continued .... nice jumping over the C-10!

Liked the bit where he controlled the jump from inside the cab of the truck!

Al.

17 hours ago, Ocdcbr said:

Sounds good. 

Im running mine for the 1st time tomorrow. Then I should manage Saturday too. 

Im going to a disused / overgrown golf course near me here in Hemel Hempstead. It's very hilly... So it should test the elecs out considerably!.... Med grass and mud I'm guessing.... With the odd surviving bunker here n there. 

Where about in hemel?

24 minutes ago, alex97 said:

Where about in hemel?

Near the mainline station. Off box lane. If u google maps Hemel Hempstead station u should be able to see it no probs. editing the vid now. U close to Hemel?

27 minutes ago, NG15 said:

Little delivery today, 18t pinion, 50wt oil and my 2028 fan. Hopefully tommorow my Bluetooth link will arrive along with a 50t spur. 

BD490D27-DDAE-49E0-9C13-547247924AA6_zps

U going 15/50 then ng?... Or 18/50?

im thinking 15/50 for starters...

Edited by Ocdcbr

No sure yet mate been speaking to a guy who says 18/50 is the sweet spot for this truck but I'm wary of temps around that ratio. I'll try 18/54 first. 

Going to to do a test, 15/54 15/50 vs 18/54 vs 18/50 and see what I get temp and top speed wise.

• Like 1

Sounds great ng. Keep us posted. I'm not going to take speed readings I don't think... But I will take temps. Im more after what feels right for my bashing rather than speed numbers..

but it that info Would be superb for all if u can get it mate. :good:

2 hours ago, alex97 said:

I work there and use to live in leverstock green.

Cool. I live on chambersbury lane... Which leads into leve grn. 

U got an Xmaxx?

regardless if u want a meet up/ Rc session in Hemel let me know. 

Ill post up up that vid from today and u can c the spot. Grass was maybe a bit rough / long for 1/8... Well bumpy  at least. In fact I've got 2 vids of my 1/8 there.. I'll link them along wth the Xmaxx vid so u can compare them at the same spot.