• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

No bell crank, roger. On the EXB it needed doing, the brushless servo was so quick/violent when you wiggled it that the bell crank constantly "compressed" (not quite sure how to phrase it in english). 

Will get a metal support for the standard one then. 

And yeah, got me slightly confused when i was looking at the options for the servo, DBS vs DCS. Probably not much between them, to be honest, specs are 1-1 the same.

Shopping list now is the servo, the servo support, bearing kit, RPM oversized carriers rear, a new receiver and a few bottles 30wt for shocks all around. That should do the service reasonably. 

One thing out of curiosity, where did you guys get your bearing kits - did you go to rcbearings, or did you use RCForce or similar?

edit: oh, and is the servo horn that comes with the servo adapter usable, or should i throw another horn into the mix?

Edited by m4inbrain

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

No bell crank, roger. On the EXB it needed doing, the brushless servo was so quick/violent when you wiggled it that the bell crank constantly "compressed" (not quite sure how to phrase it in english). 

Will get a metal support for the standard one then. 

And yeah, got me slightly confused when i was looking at the options for the servo, DBS vs DCS. Probably not much between them, to be honest, specs are 1-1 the same.

Shopping list now is the servo, the servo support, bearing kit, RPM oversized carriers rear, a new receiver and a few bottles 30wt for shocks all around. That should do the service reasonably. 

One thing out of curiosity, where did you guys get your bearing kits - did you go to rcbearings, or did you use RCForce or similar?

edit: oh, and is the servo horn that comes with the servo adapter usable, or should i throw another horn into the mix?

The servo horn that came with my Ali Express adapter worked on my Dmond. 

Ive never, on over 100/150 RCs changed to after market bearings (other than Tamiya ball race kits). If bearings go bad, I just put stock replacement ones back on.

So, order's in. Your servo in brushless flavour, RPM oversized carriers front and rear (might as well), alloy servo mount, traxxas 30wt premium oil (because i'm an idiot), and that'll do for maintenance. For now. Not getting a bell crank/support, if the new servo rips through the servo saver i'll get a new alloy bell crank/support. I'll try with the factory one for now. 

You did have to dremel out a notch in the chassis for the servo, correct? 

Edited by m4inbrain

13 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

So, order's in. Your servo in brushless flavour, RPM oversized carriers front and rear (might as well), alloy servo mount, traxxas 30wt premium oil (because i'm an idiot), and that'll do for maintenance. For now. Not getting a bell crank/support, if the new servo rips through the servo saver i'll get a new alloy bell crank/support. I'll try with the factory one for now. 

You did have to dremel out a notch in the chassis for the servo, correct? 

Traxxas suggest cutting the tab off your servo (only secures with two screws). As its a nice alloy servo, I cut the chassis. You say dremel, but I did it with a stanley blade, its not much material you have to remove

• Thanks 1

Well, so much for that idea then. Servo mount got dispatched, all good - shop where i bought the servo didn't dispatch, instead sent a message asking me to pay for shipping a second time (i paid shipping with the order). Cancelled that order, since i now don't trust that the money i paid extra for the VAT actually goes where it needs to be. Meaning i'll be slapped with fees, while he pockets the extra £17. Thanks to that stupid system with Aliexpress, i now have to wait and see whether or not the seller "approves of the cancellation". 

liQ8rT1.png

vC9jyOb.png

Savox SW2290 Black Edition it is. More expensive, but i guess the consolation is that if the servo is sent without custom forms as i expect, the DMOND would cost me around £110+ (paid £83 incl. tax and shipping). Which is just slightly less than the 2290 Black Edition - and that has a usable warranty, as well as being repairable. 

Sigh.

15 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

liQ8rT1.png

vC9jyOb.png

I’ve used Ali X loads and never had any issues. I have once been asked if I’d like to pay more for faster shipping, but it wasn’t a demand. Like you, I wonder if the tax actually goes where it should, but i haven’t ever been asked to pay extra on delivery so assume all is kosher 😬

Edited by Ant.p
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Well, so much for that idea then. Servo mount got dispatched, all good - shop where i bought the servo didn't dispatch, instead sent a message asking me to pay for shipping a second time (i paid shipping with the order). Cancelled that order, since i now don't trust that the money i paid extra for the VAT actually goes where it needs to be. Meaning i'll be slapped with fees, while he pockets the extra £17. Thanks to that stupid system with Aliexpress, i now have to wait and see whether or not the seller "approves of the cancellation". 

liQ8rT1.png

vC9jyOb.png

Savox SW2290 Black Edition it is. More expensive, but i guess the consolation is that if the servo is sent without custom forms as i expect, the DMOND would cost me around £110+ (paid £83 incl. tax and shipping). Which is just slightly less than the 2290 Black Edition - and that has a usable warranty, as well as being repairable. 

Sigh.

To be fair theyre only ‘asking’ you to upgrade the shipping, Its not a demand. Id just politely decline to pay the extra and wait for it to come. 

Edited by Kpowell911

28 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

To be fair theyre only ‘asking’ you to upgrade the shipping, Its not a demand. Id just politely decline to pay the extra and wait for it to come. 

They didn't ask me whether or not "i'd like" to upgrade to the shipping i already paid for. He's asking me to do so. 

There seems to be a misunderstanding - i already paid the extra. 

Funny enough, the second i get stern and demand a refund, a different guy with decent english pops up and tells me that the servo already has been dispatched before they even asked me if i want to upgrade (of course), and that this is all a misunderstanding - they didn't see that i paid for it already. Which of course is bollocks (and wouldn't matter anyway since the default option is free shipping). 

I was polite, ish - but i don't react well if people want to lead me around by the nose. 

edit: to be very clear here, this isn't me assuming, i had a lengthy conversation with decent-english-guy where he slipped up multiple times (in the beginning "they'll ship today", and on my reaction to that it turned into "shipped yesterday" within 15 minutes etc). 

edit2: just in case.

nRgfsBk.png

RjodFth.png

Not quite sure why it says Alibaba. 

Edited by m4inbrain

On 03/08/2022 at 21:13, Kpowell911 said:

Aliexpress is a branch of Alibaba I believe. Im confident youve got nothing to worry about 🙂

Misplaced. Not dispatched (he sent me proof lol), doesn't refund and blocked me on the messenger. Paypal case going. 

Aliexpress for me always been hit and miss - not the first time something like this happened, except usually i get my money back from the seller eventually (or the item arrives after 3 months in the end). 

That aside, did change all axle carriers around today and switched RX in preparation for the new servo (7.4v). I've forgotten what a joy it is to wrench on the X-Maxx, compared to my EXB etc. I expected to sit there for an hour at least, was done in 5 minutes. All inner bearings completely and utterly destroyed. Partially shields came off, the ones where they didn't come off still were crunchy as hell - so yeah.. Don't ignore your bearings, lesson learnt. 

The one thing slightly confusing, replacing the servo seemed like a major operation? I've never even noticed that i couldn't see the servo until today lol. It's under the receiver tray, is it? 

20 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

The one thing slightly confusing, replacing the servo seemed like a major operation? I've never even noticed that i couldn't see the servo until today lol. It's under the receiver tray, is it? 

It’s surprisingly simple!

• Thanks 1

Cheers for that, i assume that's the same process with the adapter plate. 

Kinda funny that "a surprisingly simple" process on the X-Maxx means that it's basically in half. 😄

If you didn't know better, that looks like a 2 hour operation lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Cheers for that, i assume that's the same process with the adapter plate. 

Kinda funny that "a surprisingly simple" process on the X-Maxx means that it's basically in half. 😄

If you didn't know better, that looks like a 2 hour operation lol.

To be fair Ive always used the above video. It really is a joy to work on. So well thought out and methodical. 

Yea just make your standard sized servo “look” like the X Maxx one on the bench using the adapter. Remember youll need to trim some chassis/bulkhead or nip the corners off the servo. This is explained with the plastic Traxxas mount but maybe not with the Alloy one

But you know, “mOdUlAr PlAsTiC cHaSsIs HaHa!”

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

Yeah, it really is a night and day difference, there's always something where you think "hm, well that's smart". Like the small cut outs for the screwdriver above the receiver tray. 

I also had a big "aha?" moment yesterday. Turns out that in all my ownership, i actually haven't had a front bumper on lol. Because since this is a snap on van truck, you get a different one - and the guy i got it from took it off to not scratch it. Somehow i never noticed - moved the van body yesterday and the bumper fell out, was like "oh yeah, there's actually no bumper". Turns out it looks actually even better (and bigger) with the bumper on. So, yay, free upgrade.

8ApPWNH.png

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 3

Hardest (still relatively simple) thing to get to is the middle diff. There is no quick way in, but it’s not too bad. Serviced the diff recently with replacement 20million traxxas oil and had it all completed in about an hour and a half.

Even had time to clean all the removed plastic parts in the bath and clean the bath after, before I was found out! 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Hardest (still relatively simple) thing to get to is the middle diff. There is no quick way in, but it’s not too bad. Serviced the diff recently with replacement 20million traxxas oil and had it all completed in about an hour and a half.

Even had time to clean all the removed plastic parts in the bath and clean the bath after, before I was found out! 

My wife almost loves my X-Maxx more than i do, so i got free reign if necessary. 😄

Centre diff, i am considering throwing some silicon earplugs in there, i don't really mind a proper disassemble, could give it a good rinse then too. Gotta give that a thought. Might as well do a full once-over, first in three years - certainly deserved it, and if the inner wheel bearings are anything to go by... Probably time for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2022 at 17:37, Tadas said:

Any ideas what's the difference between 7750 and 7750X? And how do I know which one I got as a stock? Looking for an upgrade at the moment. 

I believe 7750x is the stronger 8s driveshaft, replacing 7750 that was probably on the 6s models?

DB59494C-2B81-41ED-8517-B2649B20A423.webp.01138a57c11379fad5b41f94e124578f.webp

if you have these parts, you have the ‘X’ version 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Iv noticed that both diffs (front/back) are leaking - any cure for that? Also what's the name of the oil/grease (consistency like shoe vax/ thick honey?) that people use for greasing all the gears (outside the diffs)?

Thanks.