• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

Put another two sets of Lipos through today....

0C9F9AAC-6A19-4CC1-8FCB-D672ECE17559_zps

D548CFDE-4144-4D7D-94F8-DF9D191ACDD9_zps

I'm fully concious of what you all say about me perhaps not giving my X enough abuse, hence why Ive had no drivetrain issues. Today I set out with the intention of giving it a bit more abuse than normal. I hit a fair few large bumps and got some serious air. I did however struggle to control it in the air and ended up with quite a few crashes. No breakages, but I rekon I got into double figures the amount of time my bodyshell came off....... REALLY peeing me off the shell is now, anyone got any sort of cure?

I carried on in anger and I slammed down off a jump and heard a crunching as I applied throttle. I thought something had broken, but my motor bullet had came out the ESC. Fixed this and went again did a few more jumps and the ESC came out completely :( Held in only by the RX wire.... I bodged it back in and took the X back to the rough car park.. IT was there were I just did some high speed passes, soaking up bumps I realised what this truck is. Regardless of how its marketted, you cant jump, smash or bash this. IMO the Scale doesn't allow you to treat this like a 1:8th buggy. Physics wont allow something this heavy and big to bash. The beauty of the X to me, is that its a truck you rarely use, and when you do you just pootle around. A bit like been very rich and owning a Classic Ferrari 250GTO. You take it out very rarely, and only when the conditions are perfect. Youre carefu much more careful than when you use any of your other R/Cs, but the reward you get is it feels special? Its size and grace are the appeal, not how tough it is? Maybe thats just me.

That said after using the Revo, I want more speed from the X hah

To me an RC you can't use unless you treat it with kid gloves is a waste of time and money but each to his own ..

The body coming off is anouying but solvable, I forget the last time I had mine go one way and the truck another ;) 

Nice to see you had out at long last and even nicer to see you had fun with no breakages always makes a bash feel good when you come home in one piece ;)  

Other than the ESC flying out. I've taped it down and put a thick cable tie in between the two chassis braces as a 'strap'.

i get what you're saying, but I don't see how physics/technology will allow us to bash a 1/5th or 1/6th scaler like we would a stadium truck etc. I guess that's why every video I've ever seen of a Losi 5 is just running around a park, and not at a skatepark?

Is the 'X' the only truck with a servo-taped ESC?

Don't think so.

Cable ties are the answer, of course.

Mine - XL2 - is bolted on, but won't be bashed like that - but no different to my 'E' or Ram.

Fast bashing, climbing, etc., ...

Oh, yeah. ... decided the credit card will have to come to the rescue ... Brexit is bound to stuff up import prices so I've bought the 'missing' pair of tyres from MS.

They're backorder of course, but best option around ... and cannot wait 2 years for the GBP to recover enough for imports to be competitive again.

Still need to get the body painted - person to do it is, money isn't yet .... still HOPE to complete before Christmas, but might be JUST!!

Al.

2 hours ago, Guns said:

Other than the ESC flying out. I've taped it down and put a thick cable tie in between the two chassis braces as a 'strap'.

i get what you're saying, but I don't see how physics/technology will allow us to bash a 1/5th or 1/6th scaler like we would a stadium truck etc. I guess that's why every video I've ever seen of a Losi 5 is just running around a park, and not at a skatepark?

You might want to look agian there loads of vids on YouTube with the 5 at the skate park 

8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

There was a link to this one when the video finished:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3RklFKh2Pc

Proper motor in it as well!!

This one's better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFmRTbthzkE

Al.

Come on, the stuff in the first one you could do with a 1/10th touring car lol

however, I've found some decent bash 5ive videos now :)

Edited by Guns

16 hours ago, Guns said:

That's literally the only one I've saw but considered me impressed.

There's quite a few with people jumping them. There's an RCsparks video from a few years back where he jumps it over and over, treating it pretty badly trying to break it and the only damage is to a bumper.

• Like 1

Thought I'd give these new shock springs from Traxxas a go went to order from Wheelspin but there £17 odd each pair sod that went to Tower and got a set of 4 for almost the same money lol 

Was going to go hard on the rear and soft up front but I kinda like the way it is now with the springs evenly matched so went with the 1.346 which is slightly harder than stock but not overly hard .. If I find these too soft on the rear I can always go up at a later date but I'm sure these will be fine as stock isn't that bad but just needs a slight tweak for me ;) 

Arrived back in Blighty this morning after 2 weeks somewhere sunnier ... inside offices most of the time.

Worked on the 'front wheels' of my 'X'; the MTXL wheels with the inside splines.

Here is a BEFORE:

X%20-%20Wheels%20-%2020161016-1_zps9cueo

Here is after FIRST work with the Dremel:

X%20-%20Wheels%20-%2020161016-2_zpsftrcu

It's obviously before any tidying up, but STILL CATCHES - albeit slightly!!

Here's why - look at the BOTTOM of the 'X' knuckle:

X%20-%20Wheels%20-%2020161016-3_zpsjyd94

Just cutting flush isn't enough - it needs a recess to clear that knuckle - no problem for the Dremel, but thought I'd clarify the work required:

Al.

To be honest, no.

Don't see there being any problems.

They appear over-strong.

Agreed, must be there for reason, but for a truck just over half the weight, I don't see a problem.

Al.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2016 at 17:33, atom3624 said:

Arrived back in Blighty this morning after 2 weeks somewhere sunnier ... inside offices most of the time.

Worked on the 'front wheels' of my 'X'; the MTXL wheels with the inside splines.

Here is a BEFORE:

X%20-%20Wheels%20-%2020161016-1_zps9cueo

Here is after FIRST work with the Dremel:

X%20-%20Wheels%20-%2020161016-2_zpsftrcu

It's obviously before any tidying up, but STILL CATCHES - albeit slightly!!

Here's why - look at the BOTTOM of the 'X' knuckle:

X%20-%20Wheels%20-%2020161016-3_zpsjyd94

Just cutting flush isn't enough - it needs a recess to clear that knuckle - no problem for the Dremel, but thought I'd clarify the work required:

Al.

This now clears without problem.

Just some tidying up required, then to complete the 2nd front the same way!!

X%20-%20Wheels%20-%2020161018-1_zpsia83l

Al.

I've had quite a few bits from them over the years.

Nice little videos.

Steering video was interesting - mine's the option alloy with the adjustable collar but for those on standard I've been reading quite a few 'steering problems' this will resolve.

Al.

9 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Mini-Me .................

I wonder how long the diffs and electrics last on that Smaxx :P