• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

3 minutes ago, Deafty said:

Good to know.  I might pick up a roller to get my rig underway then.  Just need to finish building the house , then look for some end of season deals on parts bundles.

Another question I'd like to ask is how much fluid does a single (stock) shock take?.  I gotta factor this extra cost in as I do mess about with my shocks an awful lot, and I am confident they take a wee bit more than my 1:10 bigbores :lol:

Just a touch 2 bottles just fills all four lol currently I'm running associated 30wt all round and it's pretty spot on although I reckon the spring rate in the rear needs tweaking ;) 

Understood the use of thicker oil permits a 'softer landing' without bottoming out, but do you think there's a limit the shocks can take before they 'pop' - piston not permitted to move enough inside the shock / cylinder?

Al.

I did try a thicker oil (40wt) but found the spring rate couldn't cope to well with the added velocity of the oil, I think out the box Traxxas state 30wt oil but there oil is really more like 20wt IMO .. I've been using the Team Associated oils a while now and I'm really quite impressed with them over some of the other options out there ..

For now I'm happy enough but if I decide to keep it I will invest in some different spring rates 

I'm still waiting on Proline - and money tbh so I have to wait!! - to bring out MT wheels - but do have 'the answer' for my moderate / mild bashing as I can fit the MTXL wheels.

To go all out would definitely trash everything - not my objective and family would disown me!

I forget what I put in mine, but I have the Hot Racing option springs and selected the firmer ones - I think I have reds on - and put 45 wt Team Associated (my favourite as well!!) in.

Patience is wearing thin, but I'll get there in the end ....

I have had it powered up and 'running' full power on 6S, but with no wheels it's not much fun!!

Al.

Interesting... As I did wonder the same. In theory if you use thicker oil a spring change could also be required. 

When I bashed mine on a hot day at the bmx track ( vid in this thread somewhere or on my Chanel) I found the rear shocks near enough list their dampening completely to the point I thought I'd busted the rear shocks. 

I went to thicker oil and increased the preloads touch and it still seems plenty fast enough on rebound but now with a better cushioned landing... Still has that trademark bump softness too but less ott. 

Experimenting is key but obviously time consuming and costly with all that oil required. 

For hard bashing it's just a bit too soft out the box for me. 

44 minutes ago, turok007 said:

i lowered mine as i wanted better handling  also im never going to jump it over a house. 

WHY?

Everyone else seems to!!!

I reckon this was Doddy's secret test facility!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

WHY?

Everyone else seems to!!!

I reckon this was Doddy's secret test facility!!

Al.

yes it jumps that high  but it was never made for it.  if i wanted to jump that high  then a truggy would be my choice.

4 hours ago, turok007 said:

i lowered mine as i wanted better handling  also im never going to jump it over a house. 

How'd you do it? And did it work out well handling wise?

41 minutes ago, Ocdcbr said:

How'd you do it? And did it work out well handling wise?

It's an old school trick ;) 

Basically you you measure the distance of the shock fully extended then lower the truck to where you want it to sit measure the shock agian and cut a piece of say fuel tubing to the difference between the 2 measurements then insert it onto the inside of the shock shaft reassemble the shock and it's lowered 

Its meant to lower the CoG thus removing those anouying cornering tip overs .. 

Try it and see it cost penny's to do but if using fuel tubing it don't last long ;) 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

It's an old school trick ;) 

Basically you you measure the distance of the shock fully extended then lower the truck to where you want it to sit measure the shock agian and cut a piece of say fuel tubing to the difference between the 2 measurements then insert it onto the inside of the shock shaft reassemble the shock and it's lowered 

Its meant to lower the CoG thus removing those anouying cornering tip overs .. 

Try it and see it cost penny's to do but if using fuel tubing it don't last long ;) 

well that saves me explaining it   also it stops it wanting to flip over while pulling away & stopping to quick.  i lowered it about a inch.

7 minutes ago, turok007 said:

well that saves me explaining it   also it stops it wanting to flip over while pulling away & stopping to quick.  i lowered it about a inch.

Thought I'd save you the trouble, its a useful trick to have in your arsenal ;) 

Did you use fuel tubing or up the stakes with something else ? 

Edited by mydoddy69

15 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Thought I'd save you the trouble, its a useful trick to have in your arsenal ;) 

Did you use fuel tubing or up the stakes with something else ? 

I've done it with the rubber tubing from some old Clod Buster shocks.

Did it make the handling particularly great? Does it still jump ok. Guessing it would. Just a bit less travel?

sounds like something worth experimenting with. 

When looking at that video, it survives perhaps 8 stupendous jumps ... before the rear wheel breaks off ... so ...

Doddy, what the stuffinell are you doing to get the carnage you do - impressive in view of how much stick that one in the video took????  !!

Al.

39 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

When looking at that video, it survives perhaps 8 stupendous jumps ... before the rear wheel breaks off ... so ...

Doddy, what the stuffinell are you doing to get the carnage you do - impressive in view of how much stick that one in the video took????  !!

Al.

so what broke it  the final jump not landing like the rest or just the amount of times it landed hard.

1 hour ago, Ocdcbr said:

Did it make the handling particularly great? Does it still jump ok. Guessing it would. Just a bit less travel?

sounds like something worth experimenting with. 

well it corners a lot better  also more control in a jump as the wheels are a little closer to the main weight COG    you could stiffen up the springs so it will still do huge jumps like the un modded would.

16 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Understood the use of thicker oil permits a 'softer landing' without bottoming out, but do you think there's a limit the shocks can take before they 'pop' - piston not permitted to move enough inside the shock / cylinder?

Al.

yeah there will be a limit, should be thicker than anything worth considering using though, if not then alu caps.

Personally I adjust pistons for landings.  Oil for cornering , acceleration and braking characteristics (speed of weight transfer)  and springs for bumps.  That being said the lack of suspension adjustment in stock form kinda lends itself to springs being key here. 

So are there spring options? and or what else fits?

cheers :)

Edited by Deafty
forum bug :(
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

In all fairness you don't really know how much damage the guy did in the vid as editing is a wonderful thing ;) 

Ramping gives you a perfect take off bashing up a grassed verge to get air isn't quite the same so that might also play a part . 

I think you guys forget i don't just have one X Maxx I have 2 so running 2 means I will get twice the breakages you guys get .. 

The last bash was just one but really what damage was there a bent rear shock shaft,  a cracked out drive and 2 screws pulled out the front bumper total cost of repair Couple of nuts and bolts zero had them sitting around, diff cup £12 and a shock shaft £8.50 after what say 10 hard runs geared 18/46 with the intention to put it through its paces to test those heated ring and pinions .. I'm sure folks have done more damage than that before now in an afternoon bash unless your like a one pack guy then maybe you won't get the same damage ? When I go out for an afternoon bash I tend to take a fair few packs unlike when I'm out with the dog and I'll just have one or two with me 

Is that really a huge amount of damage then ? 

Its a big old monster truck I'm not going to drive it like miss daisy.  I really don't get why you guys are getting worked up over it, it's not like you have to pay the repair bills .. 

I think we've all seen the other vid when the guy hits a curb and totals his X Maxx so I guess it's luck of the draw sometimes ?