• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Getting into racing hints and tips

Matt1986

Thinking to join my local club and pay my brca membership is that a good idea before I dip my toe in 1st ? Read it's £10 per race . Is it me or is that a lot as how many races would you do on 1 day ? 

Any extra equipment I need to think about also ? 

Extra advice would be good 

You don't say where your going to race or what class. As far as BRCA insurance follow the link its £17 for the year, you will usually need this before you can race,  then you pay a race fee to your club £10 per race seems an awful lot its probably £10 for a days racing. https://www.brca.org/join 

Edited by Fontie

OK to race at swindon buggy club will cost you this.

a one of yearly payment of £17 for Brca licence and cover, Plus a £10 club membership fee

race day ( full day)

adult : member £6  - visitor £10

child member £2.50 - visitor child £4

oap member £2.50 - visitor £10.

Practice days £2.50 

even at 6 quid per race thats a lotta cash if you run five rounds and you race five times thats nearly 30 quid. so i would say its for the day or length of opening.
ie club evenings tend to be around 2-4hrs, so £2.50 for a couple hours indoors toasty warm or outside aint bad at all really. i pulled this from here : https://swindonrcmodelcarclub.wordpress.com/membership/

Dont expect to be the best , DO NOT push really hard, learn the track and aim to get round it in one piece, if your a back end runner move aside for those lapping.
and just have fun, over time your time laps will improve as your driving and knowledge of track does to.

Just thinking if entering they meet every other Sunday and surely if racing in championships you need to go every race ?! That would get bloody expensive over a year ! Would like to be able to turn up and pay a few £ for a few hours and just race in a few heats for that day . Once day finished that race was over . 

Not into championships at moment until really get into it as I do think it could mount Upto a lot if did 5 rounds every fortnight. 

Any other buggy clubs near to Swindon 

So guessing lower arms , turnbuckles ball joints and the parts that going to get whacked . What about shock  towers and surport sad more inboard  and what about wheel bearings and clutch parts ? 

Dave are you just a basher ? 

Edited by Matt1986

So guessing lower arms , turnbuckles ball joints and the parts that going to get whacked . What about shock  towers and surport sad more inboard  and what about wheel bearings and clutch parts ? 

Dave are you just a basher ? 

Yes i am mate :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Almost certain that £10 wool be per race 'meet', so a few heats then a final.  Where I race it's £6 per meet for non members, £5 for members.

Spares you'll need front shocks or just shafts, arms, hinge pin holders, hubs and knuckles and prob a wing too.  Front tower maybe depending on buggy construction.  Spare servo and ESC wouldn't hurt but not imperative.  Non of the Spares are a must, though will minimise a wasted day if you break something.

Edited by capri-boy
  • Like 2

After have a b5m for 18 months I've only broken a trackrod (upgrade to lunsford), bulkhead, a few hex pins and a gear box casing. I have both sets of wishbones and shock towers for different set ups. 

I've tapped the wing mount so that I now you a screw to hold the wing on as I don't like the body pins and it holds it better.

Racing isn't cheap. £10 a meeting is quite high for a club, but normal for bigger events. The price is for the whole day, what you get depends on time and numbers. Minimum would be around 4-5 mins practice before racing, 3 5 min qualifying heats and a 5 min final. If we've got a nice summers day but not too many drivers my club might run up to 6 qualifying rounds and up to 8 min finals.

Meeting fees need to be taken into perspective too. I need to drive 45 mins to the track so petrol cost is a factor. Tyres only retain a 'racing edge' for a short while and need frequent replacement. Top racers don't normally expect more than a meeting from a set, club racers might get 3-4 but no more. 

If you want to save costs you could try helping out. I run the timing computer at Bury so I don't pay to race. This year is the first in the last ten I've had to pay my own BRCA too.  

As as for tips practise and talk to people.

Get on the track as often as you can, make one at home if you have to, just spend time driving. My race director role means I miss a lot of practise so I suck at racing. 

Off the track chat to people in the pits. Make friends, get tips, borrow parts, buy stuff - the social side is as important as the track

• Like 1

Had a go at racing 1/8 buggys last year and it was a bit of an education coming from bashing. Not so much of the race structure, but just trying to get a clean lap without crashing. 

It's taught me to not just use the steering and throttle as switches, but to just go smooth with controls, you'll crash less and your lap times will fall.

Speak with other drivers running the same car, and they'll happily help out a noob - be it driving tips or setup advice.

Transponders are something that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet. You will need to buy your own, as the track may have one you can borrow, but only for a few race meetings. You'll need to find out what system they run before getting your own. They're not cheap either, the MyLaps transponder i have cost £60 brand new but you can pick them up for around £40 second hand.

Most importantly just have fun, you may find racing will click and you'll love it. For me, it took the fun out of rc, so i quit racing and sold all my racing gear.

Since i was running with a car better suited for low grip on high grip astro, I struggled with getting the grip out of the car so it wouldn't traction roll at anything more than a crawl.

The thing with astro is it's got more grip when it's sodden than when it's bone dry and warm. The temperature changes make a huge difference in how much grip the track gives, to the point where what felt like a good setup in the morning, would normally be useless by the end of it, usually too much traction.

Plus, when i broke in a new motor for it - shortly before i gave it up - i took it to my favourite test spot, just driving randomly and not having to worry about making a jump or turn was much more enjoyable for me. 

I still go to the track when i can as i've made some brilliant friends there, and the occasional few laps are just like a different bash spot lol.

3 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

When you say bulkhead which part you referring to ? You mean that part over the steering links or part In front of that where can get Ali replacements ? 

Is it worth upgrading to ali also seen Ali hubs , worth getting ? 

The 25° & 30° part at the front. Anti roll bars are also good. I wouldn't bother with the hubs. I did get the alloy steering setup to add a little more weight upfront. I get most my parts from the states via eBay as they tend to work out a lot cheaper. Make sure that the order is worth under £14 other wise they'll tax you.

• Like 1

Any form of racing is expensive ^_^

My 2 sons race Mx bikes :@.@: we have nitro and electric buggies we live by Frankley and go to Ledbury when we get time but only to watch,we want to have a go but bikes come first at the moment,Frankley do a practise for non members £5 but if you want to race you each need to be a member 

If you race you need a lot of spares,tyres and plenty of kit 

Edited by BK67