• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

wanting to get into nitro.

Aaronsimpson

Welcome. It is possible to get a new nitro for £150. You will need about another 50 for a few basic tools and good glow starter. I got my wife the condor self build buggy, I didnt pay retail for it but I know rrp is £150. I will no doubt get shouted down for recommending it but from personal experience there is nothing much wrong with it as a starter nitro. Check out my review on here. If you can follow simple step by step instructions and have a basic mechanical knowledge you will have no trouble building it. It will also allow you to easily upgrade when the time comes. If not you need to swve up and go with sonething like a firestorm or hyper 7. New or from a rated seller on here will be your best options.

• Like 1

No i'm not saying that.. But I am showing if you look about you can get some very good quality gear at good prices.

If it's just an out and out basher then you are looking at the Hyper to be fair.

BUT even at £250 you will need the starter pack and fuel, break it in properly then if one of the stock servo's gives up then you're in for ££ changing to a decent one.

Might be worth holding out for a good roller that has has upgrades then getting decent servo's and a new engine/pipe and you'll come in around the RTR price of you buy right.

I love hunting things out and building but that's just me, if you just want to buy and start it up and go bashing then defo the 7 is a good buggy for that.

I wouldn't vote it down. 

4 weeks ago i hovered over the "buy button" of a Basher Sabertooth 1/8 truggy. I'd agree that as a starter, you don't need a Losi or something like that (especially considering that to get a losi running from kit you're looking at around £400 at least). 

But the single biggest argument for me was spare parts. HPI is easy to come by, many people owned the truck i have, so i have an easy time getting specific advice. With a Hyper 7, you know you get something quality, decently competetive for bashing, which has a good part support. And everyone and his brother at some point had one, meaning help is always around the corner.

1. avoid 1/10th scale - if you already have your eyes on a nitro buggy - u wont be happy stuck with a 1/10th scale flyweight vehicle.

2. Absolutely consider a top notch rolling chassis buggy 2nd hand - and add your motor and gear to it as you learn.

3. buying an 8th scale buggy rtr like a Hyper 7 - as good a deal as it is and probably a wise move - you will soon be wanting to replace the

- throttle and brake servos

- rx / rx pack / radio

- tires and wheels

- center chassis braces

2 hours ago, HYPER-BOY said:

No i'm not saying that.. But I am showing if you look about you can get some very good quality gear at good prices.

If it's just an out and out basher then you are looking at the Hyper to be fair.

BUT even at £250 you will need the starter pack and fuel, break it in properly then if one of the stock servo's gives up then you're in for ££ changing to a decent one.

Might be worth holding out for a good roller that has has upgrades then getting decent servo's and a new engine/pipe and you'll come in around the RTR price of you buy right.

I love hunting things out and building but that's just me, if you just want to buy and start it up and go bashing then defo the 7 is a good buggy for that.

Don't get me wrong, i do understand that - and i personally love tinkering too. That's why i converted from electric, opposed to what most people do. In fact, my TT has seen more wrenching than driving, not because it wouldn't drive - it's just more fun upgrading it somehow. 

But if you have a person who set his initial budget at £150, then already doubled it to accomodate suggestions, it's just too much. You will not get a decent Losi 8ight for £300. There's one in the sales section, brand new 3.0 with x-act .21 pro for £300. Still needs tyres, still needs radio, still needs starter box, still needs starter kit and fuel. That makes £450, and already is a bargain. 

I agree btw, looking out for a good Hyper 7 roller and maybe replace the engine with a new one, that's something i'd do. But i was in the situation weeks back, and looking back, i could've gone for a used 5ive by now with what i've spent - but i have an infrastructure now that can accomodate anything that comes after my TT. I got a decent starter box, hauler, Sanwa MT-4, the TT, car stand, pit mats, tools etc etc - that's things that need to be considered (which i didn't before and paid for accordingly by my missus -,-). 

Edited by m4inbrain

But i was in the situation weeks back, and looking back, i could've gone for a used 5ive by now with what i've spent - but i have an infrastructure now that can accomodate anything that comes after my TT. I got a decent starter box, hauler, Sanwa MT-4, the TT, car stand, pit mats, tools etc etc - that's things that need to be considered

There ya go and thats kinda to my point.  Getting a new RTR kit to fit in a small budget - you have to scale back on the quality of the car ... only to find out you still need to get all this other stuff for hundreds more.  And in the end youre stuck with a lessor quality model and spent 2x your initial budget 45 days in.  Then you have to upgrade the rtr model after just a few bash sessions to get REAL gear.

Its why a 2nd hand roller - IMHO - is the better way to go - because ... youre going to blast thru your budgets top end rather quickly anyway - or else - be sitting with a crappy model that wont burn nitro - and that sux ... get a discount on a top quality rig [ choose carefully ] and put the motor  / pipe / clutch / servos and radio system in yourself.

• Like 1

Guess everyone is entitled to his opinion, i strongly disagree.

And, i can't say that enough: i literally just went through that process. If i would've gone with suggestions like yours, i would've actually not started the hobby altogether. Money doesn't grow on trees, suggesting to someone who starts out with £150 budget "you'll blow that anyway, might as well go up to around £700 and then some, to get REAL gear" is plain ridiculous, sorry. As is the term "REAL gear" btw.

Just now, Aaronsimpson said:

I am just looking for a car to drag around a field so not too expensive. 

A field? What does your mate drive? Maybe you actually want to look at a truggy, rather than a buggy. On grass/for bashing definitely better.

Edited by m4inbrain

Truggy:

hpi_trophy_truggy_flux_01.jpg

Buggy:

hobao-hyper-7-tq2-rtr-mach-28-edition-1-

A Truggy basically is the love child of a buggy and a monster truck. Truck/Buggy = Truggy. 

Both of which are decent enough on tarmac i suppose. No big jumps, just running up and down the street?

Edited by m4inbrain

Just saw this one here.. 

Might wanna shoot him a message. 

HPI Firestorm, it's nitro and 2wd, it'd work where you want to use it, and you can't beat £130. It's definitely good enough for thrashing around a bit, it'll also tell you if it actually is a hobby for you (there's more to nitro than just bashing them around, there's a lot of wrenching to do too, almost after every session). 

Edited by m4inbrain

31 minutes ago, Aaronsimpson said:

I am just looking for a car to drag around a field so not too expensive. 

With nitro don't hold onto WOT for too long or it'll go pop!  I had a truggy on a field and was chasing the Baja's and the conrod let go.  At the time I didn't know not to leave it on full throttle for more than about 6-8 seconds.

If I were you and literally just want to spend a couple hundred to get into the hobby, blast around a field and see whether it's for you I'd look for a Firestorm as said previously, they're good quality, bags of spares readily available and if you decide in the future that nitro isn't for you, they hold a good resale price so you won't be losing much.

Don't go throwing hundreds on something high spec like a Losi or buying a high spec roller that you'll have to throw your initial budget back into on top just to get running if you're not sure you'll even like the hobby a few months in. I personally wanted to get into nitro for a good 6 years before I could afford to, and went for a Kyosho TKI3 for my first car, but that wouldn't be recommended for many to do.

Best places to buy would be Modelsport uk definitely. Competitive prices, wide range and great customer service. They also have a few second hand nitro's from time to time if you want to take a look, and the ones I've seen on there look almost new.

The most important thing is to not rush in and just "buy one" because the money was burning a hole in your pocket. If you take your time and do your homework you should get a good car. 150 isn't the best budget for starting out, as said previously there are other things needed at the beginning not just a car. I know it can be hard to save money up but, I think you could do with a little more to play with so that your able to get a decent car and all the essentials needed rather than buy cheep buy twice and kick yourself. I've bought quite a few 2nd, 3rd (you never actually know how many people have abused them) and been lucky, paying 30 for a wr8 flux needing motor wheels she'll ect, savage x 5.9 for 100, trophy buggy flux needing nothing but a clean ect...

But I wouldn't recommend second hand for a first car though, if you buy new from a reputable shop then you get peace of mind, tech advice and warranty spares. Stay away from the ftx range as they're known for being a bit easy to break. 

I'd probably say something hpi as they're strong'ish, easy to fiddle with and there's plenty ofvrhem about. I'm not biased, I've got 4 lol 

My younger brother lives in France and he recently bought himself a trophy buggy 3.5 rtr new for his first car and he loves it, he's only rang me a couple of times for help with it up to now and he's had it a while.