• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New cc01 owner

Shaggy 83

Hi all, just bought my first tamiya kit, a pajero cc01.

Having only ever had rtr and not done a kit before is there any tips or useful advice for the build and for painting the shell? (not done one either)

Any advise appreciated

Provided you are familiar with RC it should be easy. Tamiya kits are great. Make sure you have good quality tools and grease and go slow. Read the instructions through first to get familiar before you start the build. I find it helps to have some tubs around to put small parts it. Tamiya parts are all numbered so they are a breeze! Just great up what it says, if in doubt use a bit more than you think you need, you can always take some off later.

As regards the shell get yourself some Tamiya masking tape (it's yellow and comes in various widths, usually a thin one and a thick on will do). Make sure you clean the body first and let it dry before you start painting. Don't spray in long bursts, if the can get's cold in your hand give it a moment and then start again, otherwise you can get an inconsistent paint job. Short, controlled bursts work best and keep moving your hand, never spray if your hand is still as you can get patches really easily and then this leads to running paint!  

You have to paint things in reverse order and you will want to start with your lightest colour. Once you've sprayed it all back it with some white to make the colours really pop and if you want to aid that scale look do a layer of a dark grey or black on top of that white so then if you see the underside of the shell it doesn't look so much like a thin bit of plastic.

The paint guide above sounds like lexan isn't the cc01 abs plastic? It's the same thing only you can primer , base coat it then detail and use the colors you want as needed. The spray technique should be the same as above tho.  

TS paints for abs. 

PS paints for lexan. 

Edited by RCbutcher

Best thing to do is soak up some youtube videos then ask the questions you have here. Saves people going start to finish and still leaving you with questions lol. 

The most important part of painting is shell preperation if that's not to a high standard the paint can't be. 

Rushing it is the easiest thing to do its almost impossible to not rush for me and I aways end up regretting it  but wanting to see the paint down gets the better of me lol. 

Edited by RCbutcher

Did you order a set of bearings to replace the kit bushes? Essential for any CC-01 build and will make it run much better. Metal shielded bearings turn a bit easier but the rubber shielded ones handle water better.

http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

Loads and loads of other upgrades you can make but the two most usefull are a four link rear suspension kit and a steering kit. BTW the steering kit doesn't come with instructions and many have assembled it incorrectly. However info is available here or on youtube on how to assemble it correctly.

John

Re painting, the shell will have a shiny finish, use some wet and dry paper, or a scotch pad/gentle scouring kitchen pad and lightly rub down to a matt finish, then wash, air dry and paint as above. Doing the prep this way makes a better key to the surface for the primer. Better to build up gently in light coats than attempt to get a solid colour in one hit. 

You can use automotive spray paint on ABS shells, if a particular colour catches your eye. Cheaper than buying Tamiya acrylic paint, ml for ml too.;)

Thanks for the tips guys, am glad I didn't get carried away buying paints befor posting here ? kit arrived today, but I'm not sure if the body is abs or lexan how can u tell? Also it isn't cut to fit yet any tips for cutting it accurately ie wheel arch curve smoothly etc?

An excellent choice for your first kit! As you can probably tell from my avatar, I rather like the CC-01, especially in Pajero form.

Tamiya make two versions of the CC-01 Pajero, and if the shell isn't cut out, it sounds like you have the lexan version. Most of the painting advice given so far is for the ABS version, so beware - you'll need PS paint, and you'll need to apply it from the inside. Cleaning the shell with washing-up liquid and a sponge, lightly abrading it with a soft souring pad, then rinsing and drying it thoroughly should suffice in terms of prep. Then mask and spray your chosen colours - no primer is required.

The fun really starts when you get to the chassis though. As it has been in production for so long, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of possible hop-ups available from Tamiya and numerous 3rd party manufacturers.

Here's mine, wearing hop-ups from Radshape, Junfac and GPM amongst others:

CC01%20014_zpsgzzrdn0f.jpg

The advice already given regarding the rubber-sealed bearings, ballraced steering rack and 4-link kit is well worth following. Another area where you can make a big improvement is with the tyres. The stock "hockey pucks" are anything but grippy, and a set of Fastrax Kongs or similar make a massive difference.

As for the 4-link kit, I can heartily recommend the Junfac one. It isn't cheap, but you get your money's worth in terms of quality of materials, fit and finish.

Edited by XV Pilot
Added Lexan prep advice

The new CC-01 Pajero kit has a polycarbonate body.

Easy to tell the dif. Ploycarbonate is clear and needs cutting out and ABS body is white plastic.

These  will fit the stock wheels.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-RC-rock-crawler-tyre-set-1-9-90mm-diameter-AX10-SCX10-CC01-tires-T2-/121640612778?hash=item1c525873aa:g:FxEAAOxyVLNTAIAn

John

Edited by johninderby

Thanks again guys have ordered paint, masking tape and a bearing kit so far. Will put up some pics once its finished cheers for the advise ?

No need to wait until it is finished - it is often interesting to watch a build take shape, so feel free to post some work-in-progress photos too!

Edited by XV Pilot

So the chassis is done, great kit fun to build. all electrics in and working, can now see the benefits of the bearing kit (thanks for the tip) next is painting the shell. So my next question is do people cut down the front body posts or leave them sticking out?

So been out with it today and its much more capable then I was expecting and really pleased with it, I have seen some tyres but what is the best choice to fit the standard wheels? Also the rear arches catch abit on the tyres and I have trimmed as far as I can without it looking bad is this normal or avoidable?

That body shell is a brand new one and yours is the first build I've seen with it. You'll probably find just raising the body one hole higher on the posts will give enough clearance.

I've used these on a couple CC-01s and they fit the stock wheels perfectly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-RC-rock-crawler-tyre-set-1-9-90mm-diameter-AX10-SCX10-CC01-tires-T2-/121640612778?hash=item1c525873aa:g:FxEAAOxyVLNTAIAn

.                  John

Edited by johninderby

The Pajero Rally Sports shell has been around a while as an XB model, but you are correct in that it has only recently been released in kit form. The KRT/Kong tyres are ever so slightly bigger than the stock "hockey pucks" so will need a tiny bit more shaved off the arches to fit, but the extra grip they provide is well worth it.

If you were feeling brave you could take a hobby knife to the grip at the edge of the tyres and just slice the smallest bit off to aid clearance. It's a trick used on cars with rally shells to stop you wearing the paint at full compression. It will effect side grip very slightly but provided you keep the same edge profile they should hook up on edges just the same. If it catches the paint and rubs it just throw a clear coat on the inside. low down. a couple of clear coats help protect against rubbing. 

It's come out really nicely, great colour. :) I am very jealous.