• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Show us your Tamiya!

XV Pilot

Here's another - I call it the Black Knight:

DT-02 Black Knight

It started life as a Super Fighter GR, but I ditched the heavy hardshell in favour of a lightweight polycarbonate Sand Viper one, and added oil shocks, sealed bearings, a steel pinion, a rebuildable brushed motor and some nice shiny wheels. 

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

I have posted this one before in another thread, but it fits here too, so I hope nobody minds a reposting:

DSC04749_zpsouphuw6l.jpg

Based on a M-03 with the usual mods and a Sport Tuned motor, it is a fun little performer that won me a few medals back in my racing days.

One of these kits could be my next Tamiya purchase. 

John

• Like 2

20150514_132557-1.jpg

20150514_131401-1.jpg

20150514_131523.jpg

Miper V3.0, DT-02 on Blitzer wheels and tyres running a TS 80a/3520kv combo.

20151007_185820-1.jpg

Aggroshot, DT-03T Blitzer front tyres, Big Joe 2 rear tyres, TS 80a/unknown 3300kv combo. 

20141005_205711-1.jpg

Cloddy, Super ClodBuster, largely standard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

Nice-looking tyre choice on the Aqroshot!

I knew the standard "Street" boots wouldn't cut the mustard so I went Blitzer front and rear but the rears went bald quickly so something more beefy was required. The Big Joes looked good and certainly seem up to the job. Trouble is the right rear lower suspension mount has broken so the 'Shot is on stop atm. 

One of Tamiya's more controversial offerings:

Jun Watanabe Hornet

Jun Watanabe Hornet rear

Love it or hate it, you've got to admit it looks different!

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 3

The way I see it, in this age of affordable buggies with full double wishbone suspension and predictable handling, most people drive old-school bouncy Hornets for one of two reasons - nostalgia, or they want something fun and different.

Those that drive them for nostalgic reasons would probably be drawn to the standard box-art colours, but this one suits the "fun and different" crowd. After all, if being styled after a running shoe created by an eccentric Japanese fashion designer and RC enthusiast doesn't say "fun and different", I don't know what does! :D

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1