• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas X-Maxx.

Tug

1 minute ago, NG15 said:

Full days at work then to the garage to build cars for race season in a few weeks means I've very little time for anything else. I'm going to have to make time 

What do you race and where fella ?

I know that feeling of not enough hours in the day all to well ;) 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

What do you race and where fella ?

I know that feeling of not enough hours in the day all to well ;) 

Our teams in the m3 cup and civic cup this year mate. First race at Donnington then we go all over, silverstone, brands, croft etc etc. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NG15 said:

Our teams in the m3 cup and civic cup this year mate. First race at Donnington then we go all over, silverstone, brands, croft etc etc. 

That's the 750 motor club ? 

Ive been to a few of these meetings great fun by the looks but must cost a few bob to keep going mind you I take it you got sponsorship deals to help out a little ? 

I'll be at the brands meet in April well hopefully i will ;) 

13 minutes ago, FatWheels said:

Pulled off the shocks this evening and added some Shocksox.

Great value £5 upgrade and super easy install great service 48 hour delivery.

The X-Maxx is super easy to work on.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Awesome diy stand that ;) 

17 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

That's the 750 motor club ? 

Ive been to a few of these meetings great fun by the looks but must cost a few bob to keep going mind you I take it you got sponsorship deals to help out a little ? 

I'll be at the brands meet in April well hopefully i will ;) 

Yeah 750, nope no sponsors for us were just 3 mates all into cars, one with his own garage/bodyshop were we build all the cars from start to finish. It's expensive at around 1000 per race meeting (without damage/breakages) but manageable.

• Like 1

Those castle boxes look sweeeeeeeet! 

Look ok forward to your reports on it with that beastly combo in! Hopefully it will hold up to all that power!!!!:mf_dribble::insane:

from another forum

fusible link issues

I was testing new gears on my X-maxx yesterday.

I was runing on an old tarmac road.

First I tried using 22T pinion and 50T Spur. It worked ok, but didn't get the speed I expected.

Disappointed with that, I change to 25T/46T.

But to my surprise, the car maxxed out at 67 km/h. The car lost all it's power. I couldn't get it up on two wheels.

And after running 4 stretches, each about 200m in total, I noticed smoke from the car.

I stopped and checked the temp on both ESC and engine. ESC was below 35 degrees celsius and engine just over 50.

So I opened it and saw that the fusible link was burned off.

I replaced it with the original cable and all of a sudden I had a totally new car.

First run I flipped it at 75 km/h and I had troubles keeping all four wheels on the ground, even when I ran 85 km/h.

Even then it had much more power to give. With a dry road, getting it over 90-95 km/h should be easy.

I do have a temp-monitor on the ESC as well, and it never got above 50 degrees celsius.

The problem here is the fusible link.

It turns the lion into a pussycat.

What is the point with having such powerful engine, if the ESC or fusible link can't support it with power?

My guess is that the ESC is really the weak part here and to avoid that from burning the car up, they changed the link cable.

Anyone else having the same issues with the fusible link/ESC?

Myself I find it hard to believe a change of wire should make any difference to the power. Something does not make sense...

Edited by Ocdcbr

Just now, Ocdcbr said:

Myself I find it hard to believe a change of wire should make any difference to the power. Something does not make sense...

I know that some wire can lower the voltage going through it. As old radios used the same type of thing.   The next time you run the X  just feel the fuse wire just to see if it gets warm.

It might not be just "cable", but an in-line resistor to limit current flow. Possibly. 

Are there any X-Maxx owners on the forum that have a 150 Amp ESC that they could fit and run some simple speed tests? 

21 minutes ago, sean-vrs said:

The bottom line is new esc, people have put in in a mamba max and seen a big difference, until we get the specs or see logs it's all guesswork on what the Traxxas esc is rated at

Yes, but Traxxas are never likely to admit what tricks they've had written in to the ESCs software (or firmware), that would explain why their ESC is slower than a Castle or Hobbywing. They've tried to cut their production costs to the bone, now it's biting them squarely on the bum. 

Considering how much these things cost, he must have money to throw away!

That road's far too busy to consider that kind of running - wasn't dangerous, just a 'risk too far', and passers by could even have grabbed it and made off with it .... unfortunate consequence of modern society nowadays - simple change of radio gear and ... sorted!

Al.

32 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Considering how much these things cost, he must have money to throw away!

That road's far too busy to consider that kind of running - wasn't dangerous, just a 'risk too far', and passers by could even have grabbed it and made off with it .... unfortunate consequence of modern society nowadays - simple change of radio gear and ... sorted!

Al.

when im out with the cars and my kids i always say if someone stops and talks never drive past or near them.  Just in case then grab one of the cars  lol