• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas jato project warp speed

Wrighty8766

Been building this for a good few months now, the aim of the project is to hopefully break the 130mph barrier, I may be setting my goal a little high there but only time will tell :)

it originally started life as a roller bought off here for a small fee of £20 including fees and shipping, I stripped the whole thing down to have a good look at it and it turned out I only used some of the gearbox parts, the rear shocks and a few nuts and bolts from here and there...all the other bits were bought new

As per usual I don't have any photos of the progress, just this one of the nearly finished build from a few weeks ago

image.jpeg

As it stands it's still not ready for the road, I need to lower it about 20mm up front and 25mm on the rear. Also I need to strip down and rebuild the gearbox using the hot racing hardened gear set I have bought. Would you believe that this comes with puny little plastic gears as standard :/ should be an all metal trans out of the box in my opinion :D 

once I have fitted the hardened gears I need to lock it into 2nd and then I can start some testing to see how it handles etc

image.jpeg

Edited by Wrighty8766

Good to see more people with the speed bug! Don't rely on GPS speeds as they can be wildly inaccurate. 130Mph is a lot to ask from something that is as aerodnamic as a brick. Set a realistic goal of breaking the 100mph mark (its A LOT harder than you may think) I personally think you wont get much more than 120Mph at an absolute push. 

There are many hidden challenges that await you but the fun part is over coming each obstacle as you come across it. 

Keep up the hard work and I look forward to seeing it run though some timing traps at ROSSA. :)

Edited by -BEZ-

130Mph is a lot to ask from something that is as aerodnamic as a brick.

challenge accepted :thumbsup: :lol:

i have broke 100 with my hyper 7 and in all honesty I found that relatively easy, I know that 2wd is a whole different ballgame and is much harder to get the higher figures with but I like a challenge, maybe that's why I set my goal so high :D 

Good to see more people with the speed bug! Don't rely on GPS speeds as they can be wildly inaccurate. 130Mph is a lot to ask from something that is as aerodnamic as a brick. Set a realistic goal of breaking the 100mph mark (its A LOT harder than you may think) I personally think you wont get much more than 120Mph at an absolute push. 

There are many hidden challenges that await you but the fun part is over coming each obstacle as you come across it. 

Keep up the hard work and I look forward to seeing it run though some timing traps at ROSSA. :)

I think the gps units are  a lot more accurate thank you think

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/64076719/gps-speeds-accurate

I beg to differ. GPS is fine if you have loads of distance to cover, but for RC its pretty crap. They will do as a tuning guide but normally a fair bit off what you will register on a speed trap.

Enjoy the build but don't get frustrated and quit if you don't find it as simple as you think it will be :)

• Like 1

Enjoy the build but don't get frustrated and quit if you don't find it as simple as you think it will be :)

I just have a few more things I need to finish off and then I'll be ready to start with the test runs, I have gearing running from 25/40 all the way down to 44/31, the main thing I need to sort is a front splitter of some description

• 2 weeks later...

Got the hardened gears ready to fit tonight, 2nd gear is locked using the drill and pin method, I drilled it out with a 2.5mm drill bit then used a screw shaft I found off my old rustler, worked perfectly :)

29ee9d1d5ada3d4829907b1397a5d916.jpg

f0c5e8f13319ca77c8478e76c4f37083.jpg

I have filled the diff with some 100k oil, hopefully will stop one side diffing out at high speed and blowing a tyre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, just the extra weight to add to the front and chuck the esc in and she will be ready for testing :)

The front is lowered down to about 10mm off the floor and I have left the rear standard, hopefully this should add a fair bit of downward force during a run!

I also finished the rebuild of my hyper 7 tonight :D here are some pics

b6a9544dcb9cb79a4974366b585755a1.jpgb17856cb3487017713c4e5918b6d3567.jpg1782576bcf9adfa280dba6f16bb194cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...