• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DBXL Brushless Conversion.

mond

+1 on the bec pro, although, the two ESC connection leads (warranting a Y harness) has always seemed odd.

I followed Tug's method of 2mm bullet installation, such a small mod that makes a big difference :thumbsup:

+1 on the bec pro, although, the two ESC connection leads (warranting a Y harness) has always seemed odd.

I followed Tug's method of 2mm bullet installation, such a small mod that makes a big difference :thumbsup:

The wiring diagram for the CC Pro BEC just says run a wire off each of the wires going to the ESC or am I reading it wrong?

heh ok, I did wonder but this is a learning experience as well. 

Been trying to figure out how I'd mount the BEC, Cap pack and ESC. Turns out that a Losi 2.0 E conversion battery tray would probably fit all three in and would be pretty easy to screw down onto the mount for the ESC.  The battery tray for the new Losi 6th scale might also work: 

LOS251033_1.jpg

Another problem to solve though - the receiver I was going to use has 3 channels and a bind port. The BEC Pro has two leads and it suggests to use them in port each rather than use a Y harness, the ESC has one, the fan on the ESC has one and of cause the servo has one. Could I get another Futaba receiver with 5 channels and bind to my Futaba T3PRKA? Although it's pretty simple I much prefer it over the DX4C I have. Seems to have much greater range.

Edited by mond

Just don't forget to separate the two BECs! I use a short servo extension cable (between the ESC plug and the Rx) with the red pin removed. This leaves the ESC plug untouched and therefore still works with the pit-card. 

• 4 weeks later...

So here's where I'm at. I've run it, albeit just up and down the road to see how things are going. Found a horrible problem which thankfully I could solve once I started taking things apart. When running, I heard a knocking, it sounded like a piston.

Turns out the layshaft was banging against the end of the drive shaft during it's rotation - it's at such an angle it has to be able to move very slightly back and forth as it rotates.. I'm not sure what part is too long, I suspect the Team Hoonage shaft but it was extremely hot to touch and no doubt had the chassis flexed and I left this, it would have caused some damage.

I changed out the spacer in the layshaft to one about 1mm thinner and the problem went away as the drive shaft had room to move in the cup. Can see the damage to the end of the layshaft here. 

SOsoS6Q.jpg

I'm fully Castle'd up

qjgdqA2.jpg

Electronics box and shield: Looks precarious, but it's actually got little flex in it and doesn't touch the coupoler. Going to ask Bez for a 3D printed custom box to be made for it next month, which will encase the whole thing.

6RgtdMz.jpg

Made some adaptors for the charger cables and so I can use these still on my other cars. 

Discovered another annoying problem when using the Losi 5ive cupolers on the DBXL:

Ul4jtip.jpg

The rubber boot rubs on the ackerman. It's not touching the actual ring that keeps the pin in but never the less a bit annoying. The damage on the ackerman is from the stock driveshaft system, where the pin comes out. The previous owner clearly had too much patience. 

New DGI nuts. I noticed when I took it all apart, the grub screws keeping the pins in were heavily rusted. So to avoid that happening I went with these. 

Y8DDRnW.jpg

Really impressed with these Hostile foams and tyres. No ballooning at all. I can run this at full throttle off the ground and they stay that shape.

A not very satisfactory wiring solution. Need to figure out a better solution eventually but this works.

ASzMAeE.jpg

I also replaced all the arms. After running it in, I noticed allot of slop. Some of this was shimmed out easily but knowing this was already well used I looked at the eyelets on the arms. Two of the arms had very stretch eyelets which meant a few mm of slop which would only get worse and quickly. I also notice all the arms were actually a little bent in the middle. Not sure why this is but it's not my problem any more. 

Also changed the servo over to a HS-805MG. The Savox 0235 had tons of play in it. It seemed like it would work for a while but didn't want to chance taking the car out only to have the servo break after a few minutes. 

Just waiting for Redxrc to have the white bodyshells in again so I can order one. Then it's a debate on getting a Crazy Stu chassis or not. The electronics box will do for now but it's on the list to replace eventually.

Edited by mond

Bill, have you taped the tyres at all?

Reason I ask is I didn't, on El Beasto, and believed they didn't balloon. However, a static shot of her at full pelt showed otherwise... Admittedly, not like Yeti XL tyres, but enough for me to tape them.

No, I didn't tape them. I did however have it off the ground and ran it at full throttle so I could see up close how they behaved.

In other news, I'm going to ask Bez to 3D print me a electronics box. I've had a first crack at it and after some feedback came up with this

p2IrPnS.png

However, after sleeping on it and wanting to put the rx in this box as well and potentially some lighting equipment, I'm going to start over. But it was a useful experience to have a first go. All those teenage years playing with 3Dmax were not wasted after all. 

Edited by mond

New design with space for the radio tray so all the cables apart from the servo are sitting in this box. The space should allow for a 7.5cmx6cm radio tray. There is an Axial orTeam Associated one which looks like it will fit nicely, able to screw down flat and have the fitting for the antenna.  The hole forward of that is for the cables to the motor to attach too the the space between that fitting and the radio tray is for the top of the motor cables to have room without rubbing.

nP3kY4c.png

The plan is to have the servo cable come up underneath one of the battery trays and go into the back of this box so completely avoiding the drive line. I can't really think of another way of doing it. Once made I'll have to take a drill to the side and make a hole. I'm wondering if I can use an axle or suspension shaft boot around the servo cable keep the dust and dirt out of it where it enters the box.

jT5z9GB.png

The two cutouts either side are for the battery cables  but they're also next to where the most stress will be taken so have reinforced those areas and will be 8mm thick. Not sure how i'll keep the lid on. Might try and add in some pillars which I can then drill out and use for screws. 

Revised with four points for screws. They can't go any more forward or they might cause problems with the back of the XL2. Without prototyping it and seeing it in the flesh it's lots of measurements and guess work.

l4pMKJj.png

We have movement, and not in a bad downstairs kind of way either.

My redxrc body arrived. Needs a little sanding round the edges but I like it. Just trying to figure out how to fit the guards which go under the hood, which isn't screwed down yet. I have a suspicion they get mounted to the chassis guards rather than the body. Instructions would be nice. 

jDFnaOY.jpg

And fresh of Bez's printer...

20151103_220809_resized_zpsmqy0uo43.jpg

Dunno if anyone else has said but the engine is a guy off ebay who takes engine parts puts them together and then ports them. Usually a zenhoa bottom end with km top end.  I had an fg with one of his engines fitted but Idk if it was a good job. But did run. Nothing special tho for sure.

He's a nice guy tho he's happy to chat thru ebay if you can find one of his engines for sale message him. He knew my fg which was cool he gave me history I didn't know. 

• Like 1