• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Jumpshot MT

PraetoR

I have a sneaky feeling  the Mrs has just watched this over my shoulder and ordered me one of the ones I've link, possibly the Ruckus....  just in case she is watching HI SOPHIE ;)

We will see :)

I'm sure the PMT is an excellent truck, and I'm sure a few years ago I'd have snapped one up on release, specced it up and been very happy with It,  but I don't wanna get that deep into rc again. I just miss having a little truck to thrash about when i get a spare half hour. My priorities have unfortunately changed :(

I was intending on a standard HPI Jumpshot brushed on nimhs haha. All cause I saw a picture on Facebook!

Well, put it this way...

I am having to sort out my Jumpshot, DIY fix with gearbox parts from another HPI, just to bring it up to the standard of the box-stock Ruckus...

and it might not work!

Edited by Praet0r87

Ain't that half the fun? Ha

looking back, the Firestorm Flux was probably the greatest out the box electric rc I've ever owned, and I bet I'm into the 100s.... it was perfect with a 2s lipo and a Spektrum!

Edited by Guns

Quite frankly, having run both an FTX Carnage and a BSD Racing Prime Storm/Baja the Carnage spanks the Baja. I've certainly put more packs through the Carnage and whilst it can't match the quality of such as the Firestorm I think all in it's not a bad platform for the money. 

I've read a lot of stuff about a lot of models but I wouldn't make a flat statement like "It's crap" without having run the thing first. That's not to say I won't take advice.

• Like 1

I've read a lot of stuff about a lot of models but I wouldn't make a flat statement like "It's crap" without having run the thing first. That's not to say I won't take advice.

Wait a second, I never said that, that wasn't my quote! :confused:

But you're right, I've never driven one, so I accept your point. Again, just going by hearsay.

Hmmm... the quotes look all wrong on my screen. I wonder if there's some glitch in the quoting system?

It'll say "on such-and-such a date, Praetor87 said:"

but the quote is gives is one you've typed, to make your point, not what I'm quoted to have said! :confused:

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIVE!!

yTU0JSo.jpg?1

I have to credit Nitroholic for this one, as he pointed-out that the failed plastic idler gear looked to be of the same diametre and pitch as the E-Firestorm idler gear. And he was correct! Some modification was needed, however...

The Firestorm idler gear has a "shoulder" on each side. One of which I had to remove using the dremel, as you can see below.

6JdsJ58.jpg

Because the E-Firestorm idler was near-enough half the size of the Jumpshot idler, I had to do the same for two gears, while trying not to knacker the teeth on either of them, with the cutting disc!

agpIDJs.jpg

Stacked together, with one shoulder removed, each, they come to EXACTLY the same height as the original Jumpshot idler. I had to get 2 sets of 2 bearings for the Firestorm (as they are 10mm outer diametre, compared with the Jumpshot's 11mm), which gave me four in total, but I only needed three: One bearing onto each end, and one in the middle, "joining" the two gears. Now that one shoulder is gone from each gear, the single middle bearing occupies exactly the right amount of space.

uwvXqkl.jpg

Then it was a case of re-assembling the beast and testing it! :)

Sounded awful at first, but it quietened pretty quickly. Not as quiet as standard, yet, but it's on it's way. My concern is now the diff-housing, which is probably of the same plastic as the original idler gear, but if it fails... well, I'm only back in the same position as before, so why not give it a go?

I'll report back as to how it fairs, but in the meantime I'm happy to get in running again, and thank you, Nitroholic. :good:

Edited by Praet0r87
  • Like 2

My concern would be if it's noisy, but getting quieter, then surely something is wearing and probably spraying filings around the gearbox. 

Top repair job though, I really hope it works well! 

All very good ideas :)

Did a quick video describing the fix and testing the truck afterwards. Was driving gingerly, as I don't quite trust it, but it gives a rough idea.

Edited by Praet0r87
  • Like 1

Probably a dumb question, but does the Firestorm/Blitz gearbox not fit? Or is it completely different? Knowing how all manufacturers like to make use of existing parts, it would provide you with a permanent fix if they used the same drivetrain. 

Just a thought. 

If the two halves of the new idler aren't in perfect alignment its going to sound bad, but in theory the two sets of gears should 'wear' to each other and work fine without mashing the diff gear.

Tug, yeah I looked into all that, but no, the Jumpshot is entirely different and shares nothing with any other HPI model, unfortunately.

Si Coe, that's exactly my thoughts. I think it'll be OK, but I do think the soft gearbox housing will lose out in a fight to the metal idlers, before too long.