• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi 5ive Brushless conversion help please

Mrfabulous

Just stepped away from my FLM Emaxx and Hobao to the world of 1/5th scale, the HPI Superflux 5SC is on the shelf gathering dust and a Losi Five T deal came my way and I had to have it.

Now its time to look at what I do with it and I really fancy a BL conversion as i'm rubbish at Nitro....

So here's the thing i'm not after speed runs i'm after bashing and having fun on grass so I start looking at kit, ideally 780kv and 2028 on 8S would be where I was initially pointing but i've seen issues with that as the XL2 isn't beefy enough for the job. MGM is way out of my price range as this will send the internals over

as i'm rubbish at Nitro....

It's Petrol lol and way way easier than Nitro!

Anyway, you are into a big world of pain as for what I've read... and cost :)

Hopefully the people who have done this or are doing this will chime in..  Noj, Bez etc :)

Good luck!!  :thumbsup:

The Superflux may go its running a sensored 1800kv hobbywing on 4s and flies along, its immaculate with a new 5SC bodyshell, but its been sitting on the shelf for ages now probably waiting for the right offer :thumbsup:

I know I hear equal amounts of pain from BL convertors but also some great smiles and im sorely tempted to take it into the world of electric...... if I don't it will be gone :whistling:

I've fitted the alien 350a sport 2, tried it on 14s with both my 425kv Neu can, then the 2028 780kv, resulting in the no spark destroying itself (again)

The 780kv gave me the performance I wanted, the can got stupidly hot, so I've fitted a smaller spur than stock and re-fitted the neu, but for various reasons haven't tested it.

The alien is agricultural but seems to work provided you don't want any motor braking and have tentacles, as the connection and calibration each time you run needs 'em, two hands aren't enough.

Appreciate that probably isn't much help, it is what it is ;)

agricultural is certainly true about alien esc. but when the car works the grin factor is worth it.

up till last week I not had any really issue with the my alien esc, but I turned off reverse the ESC would not function. (worked when I tested it on the stand in garage) leaving me stand in a car park with a laptop balancing on the roof of my car getting strange looks from locals.

just wish I had more hours in the day to go play :(

Tbh, that really doesn't surprise me ;)

How do you find the autocalibrate? According to Bruno, the trigger has to be pulled after the first arming beep.

I'm yet to be quick enough to connect the no spark and then lipo before the ESC has beeped.

Why on earth the truck moves the instant you calibrate is again, a complete mystery.

autocalibrate?

I plug in and wait till it finishes beeping before doing anything (what I have done with all esc), but I only do this due to a lack of a manual and not being told otherwise by Bruno.

but since turning reverse off the beeps have changed when turn on and now esc seems dead unless i turn it back on.

Yup, the ESC has an autocalibrate function, that works as described above: I have reverse disabled myself.

Prior to seeking assistance from Bruno, I'd connect up, then pull the trigger after the beeps, which sometimes worked immediately but more often didn't, so I emailed the man, and that was his reply: pull trigger after the first beep, before the next set of beeps. There is a slight delay between beep one and the succession of beeps, but not enough to connect the main bullet...

It works, but the motor engages, which is a royal pia when you don't have a stand in the field...

I do miss the on/off switch of the MGM....

Runtimes will be short with the higher KV motors. I run my Super 5sc Flux with a Leopard 58110, 380kv motor, on 6S I can get about a half hour from just 5000mah. 7 and 8S are great fun, but then the drivetrain struggles.

The 5ive will handle pretty much any amount of power, but it's size and weight will play against it. You really want to aim for high voltage and low KV. This will yield longer runs between cell changes. Speed can still be achieved with the right gearing and voltage.

The xl2 is not upto the job, and frankly the truck needs more than 8s to haul it along (I first installed the xl2/2028 when converting mine)

I have a 2028 extreme, far too high a kV, as Tug noted. The 780kv had my packs soft and squishy, the extreme would feasibly have damaged them.

MGM plus a can of around 500kv 'should' be ideal, you may get away with running say 12s and saving some weight, or go cheap and agricultural with the Alien and invest in a good can...

ok thanks guys, I see so many people running XL2/ 780kv combinations but I didn't think they would cut the mustard. I might hang on until Castle release their Extreme 12S ESC and motors later this year as

Here's another thing I've noticed, my more expensive ESCs cog badly with low KV motors, but my HW ESC's don't. Go figure! The Alien never cogged once in the Baja, so that's going back in to the Baja soon.

HW have released their max5 ESC, 8S limit and only 200 Amps, but should be sturdy like the rest of their lineup. I'll be getting one for my Super 5sc Flux.

The Castle Extreme sounds great, I love the Castle drive profiles more than any other brand, prices released yet?

Edited by Tug

well I've just bought the RC Madness conversion kit as first part of my spend, promised myself no alloy blinging like I did on my FLM Emaxx..... now I can afford the XL2 and 780kv castle combination and run it on 8S, need to get a couple of 4S batteries only have big 6S for my other 1/8 trucks. still contemplating the Alien 350amp 16S model but im not sure as i'm not out for speed world records just to be faster than my 5SC superflux :-) The MGM is just out of my range unfortunately.

Ah, that conversion kit....the extended CD top plate is useful for mounting the Alien, the tray layout sucks, as it leaves packs hugely prone to damage from the spur gear...

As for speed, I put mine up against our lasses 5b Flux, 14s and 425kv vs 7s, 780kv....the performance was, shall we say, not to my liking...

Still faster than an S5, but capable of much more... The 5ive is a 12s minimum truck, IMHO..

KV is the key here... 780kv is plenty but heat is the issue. Bez has discovered that higher kV, whilst swift, gives embarrassingly poor runtimes. 425kv works but needs more testing with the new gearing I've fitted although runtimes should be favourable.

If you're committed to the cause, I look forward to seeing what kV you go for and the running results :)