• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Spektrum DX4S AVC with killswitch

coolas4k

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my Spektrum dx3s and I've been toying with a few options from the Flysky range to the Futaba range and I thought I'd landed on the decision to stick with Spektrum, in particular the DX4S. The deciding factor was their new AVC technology as it would be ideal for my 1/5th rwd Baja 5b and the ABS which would be ideal for my brushless Losi 8t because it constantly wants to flip over when I hammer the brakes at speed. But my bubble has been burst with the revelation that the AVC doesn't work with killswitches apparently....??!

So, is there any way around this as I really thought I had my heart set on my Spektrum upgrade or should I consider the Futaba equivalent? (is that the 4PLS?). If so, what are the other differences between them?

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

It's not the kill switch that causes the issue, it's the fact that an extra channel is used.

If you put a servo in the 3rd or 4th channel it would do the same thing.

And AVC didn't play nice when I tried it in my last Baja.

It's not the kill switch that causes the issue, it's the fact that an extra channel is used.

If you put a servo in the 3rd or 4th channel it would do the same thing.

And AVC didn't play nice when I tried it in my last Baja.

Spektrum should recall all AVC compatible handsets because it doesn't mention anything on their website about aux channels being deactivated when in use (well I haven't noticed anything at least lol). And If that is the case Spektrum have seriously messed up because it's wrongly advertising their technology without full requirements to operate it (gonna have to fully read it again to make sure). But anyhow, I've already contacted them to make them aware of this issue as I'm sure many other people already have done to hopefully get something done about it even if it is just the production of revised (fixed) models instead of a recall. We can all but hope ay ;):)

Edited by coolas4k

Yep..... I found out that little fact after buying it but it does say it in the manual!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind if I thought it would be a benefit to use with my Losi 8t instead but it simply doesn't need that help. It would have been ideal for the Baja on slippy ground as well... Oh well

Use a 2 channel kill switch then?

Not sure if that would help because it appears all other channels apart from steering and throttle are disabled (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Or am I misunderstanding exactly what a 2 channel killswitch is? Guessing they would still be connected to 2 aux channels...?

Edited by coolas4k

You turn the radio off to remote kill

Have you done this yourself then? Or know of anyone that has done this? Any problems with power shortages, glitch in etc

Spektrum should recall all AVC compatible handsets because it doesn't mention anything on their website about aux channels being deactivated when in use (well I haven't noticed anything at least lol). And If that is the case Spektrum have seriously messed up because it's wrongly advertising their technology without full requirements to operate it (gonna have to fully read it again to make sure). But anyhow, I've already contacted them to make them aware of this issue as I'm sure many other people already have done to hopefully get something done about it even if it is just the production of revised (fixed) models instead of a recall. We can all but hope ay ;):)

Not helpful in anyway but I've been looking at a DX4S, and i'm 99% certain I've read in the official blurb (prob on spektrum's site or a retailer's page) about AVC using the aux channels.

I've got a killer rc kill switch and spektrum dx4s with the sr410 receiver on my baja the avc is disabled works just fine kill switch works fine in the 3rd channel

Maybe but I think you will find he wanted the AVC on AND the killswitch.

You can have one or the other but not both.

Edited by smeghead28

You turn the radio off to remote kill

Exactly, it's awesome. As on my dx3c (with my baja) I click the third Chanel up & down as I never know what's on/ off on it, with my dbxl 2ch I simply switch off the Dx2e & it kills the engine, sweet!

Exactly, it's awesome. As on my dx3c (with my baja) I click the third Chanel up & down as I never know what's on/ off on it, with my dbxl 2ch I simply switch off the Dx2e & it kills the engine, sweet!

So how did you get your killswitch and AVC to work at the same time then Jim? How did you set up the Y piece between your Receiver and killswitch as AJ said you did?

I'll pop the cover off tomorrow & take a peek, I've not got AVC on this anyway, it's all stock DX2E with stock R/x not sure what that is, maybe a sr301?

Ooh not to worry, I thought you had the AVC and killswitch working at the same time. No need to have a look then mate cheers.

I'm afraid it won't work.

A 2 channel kill switch relys on the receivers servo signal going outside the normal working range in the event of radio loss.

We can detect this and use it to shut the engine down.

When an AVC receiver is used a kill switch literally has nothing to work with. This is the case with both 2 and 3ch kill switches.

I'm afraid it won't work.

A 2 channel kill switch relys on the receivers servo signal going outside the normal working range in the event of radio loss.

We can detect this and use it to shut the engine down.

When an AVC receiver is used a kill switch literally has nothing to work with. This is the case with both 2 and 3ch kill switches.

Looks like a new challenge for you and the mighty switchblade!

Edited by Pathaleon