• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The importance of the mesh mod.

Doing the norm mesh style grass just rammed the case mesh and then could not such in air quick enough, now that's all free :) so air can be sucked in all over also the only part that needs removing is on the top plate :) and that's simples.

Hottest I've seen mine now is 134 deg vs 234

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shoe goo doesn't have to come off Steve, a stone onnly has to hit the mesh, move it, wrap it round the flywheel and you're knackered.

Each to his own of course.

Too much risk for me personally, the outside does the job, I'm not too fussed what a hidden piece of metal looks like, as long as it's protected.

Iv always done the outside, its the flat inside of the case that's attractive on this reed case, looks easy to do, but ill be doing it on the inside, and ill in close the hole engine around it same as iv seen, deans dosnt let a bit through it now,

I never got any grass in my km engine with a outside mesh mod so itll not be seen anyways ;)

Thanks for all the advice though guys, :)

I use the stuff they use in front bumpers, the holes are absolutely tiny, but it still sucks cool air in as it needs to, never had an engine running hot anyway, so it must be working lol, think the holes are 1mm... Not got the packet anymore to tell you.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Dean has done with his also, throw a few pictures up Dean?

I use the stuff they use in front bumpers, the holes are absolutely tiny, but it still sucks cool air in as it needs to, never had an engine running hot anyway, so it must be working lol, think the holes are 1mm... Not got the packet anymore to tell you.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Dean has done with his also, throw a few pictures up Dean?

Will check see if any are on my phone if not I will take some, be warned its not pretty but works better than any mesh mod on the case :)

Here it is

Original stock out wears pre-filter in the front of the engine under the carb, grass still gets sucked in from this area.

995cdf27072baa85699b7a50e17b807f.jpg

Pull start end left side blocks off his area, you have a small gap at the back of the tank front of engine grass gets in.

aa75ce01f54ec358efb992dbab2bc303.jpg

Behind the engine brace is blocked off and top plate blocked off.

284913e6255202cca43b79ee82a11cad.jpg

Under the spur gear is the last area for grass to enter :) and blocked off enough, I left a small area at the very back just incase grass got in it would be easy to get it out, but none has entered so could fully block this area if I wanted.

feb4c2727f757111378f1c5fadd342c1.jpg

Did my own power starter mesh mod over the flap, just lift it to start and once started it sucks it flush has grass got sucked in there. Also did my own mesh on the starter case.

900fc64b57d170d1a81c40c94c8f35fb.jpg

Now no caps anywhere for grass to get in, I hated any signs of temps above 180 and have run at 230 plus before but now just over 130 is the max I've seen and temps are higher out side, that's running just above AVG weight baja 16.5KG with out SC shell and 19/55 gears.

Edited by Titaniumrc

Anything would work really to block them off, but used mesh so air can be pulled from any which way.

Before when grass got rammed into the case mesh you could easy tell the flow from the fan was nowhere near has good when it was clear, still had a few strands get into the fly wheel but most of all I was sick of removing the fan and case to get it out.

For me it was after every run and it got boring, I've done part mesh like that before and posted on another forum, I inly did behind the tank and under he spur.

Worked and worked OK but this is by far for me the best I've done, just a small screw that goes into the star box holds the top mesh down, and a small screw hold the bit behind the engine brace.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you don't mind me posting this up here Dan but done an improved version.

This works and works well I thought I'd share with you guys now, doing the old school crank mesh works but IMO not good enough.

Once those vent get ram packed with grass you loose shed loads of flow over the fly wheel, so I wanted something that was for and forget and to make sure nothing at all got under the engine.

Takes more time to do but if things are worth doing it's worth doing right, you need to mesh all round the engine.

1 under the carb

2 behind the tank

3 under the spur

4 back of the engine

5 (In my case) engine shroud.

But once it's done it's lets nothing in meaning maximum flow maximum cooling, and no digging out grass.

I had a sort of bodged job done first but rebuilding the diff so thought I'd get some nicer mesh and do it again, well want really a bodge lol but dint look to nice in the eye.

71e9b0e3ea4dfdb1d551cbff9a5af104.jpg

This stops any grass that collets on and around the top plate getting sucked in, then add the top.

6d1b00ce722d47685b5b70faab7a0944.jpg

1d3f8b5d5d88047691a933501785fd9e.jpg

This stops any grass getting in from under the spur

565a84dd812b001d21f0822ebf58523f.jpg

96f1118260eb3553c18c684aa15e1e99.jpg

Also keeps sand out of the EAC opening

Just an old outwears for the carb area, grass rest in the tank and then gets sucked down the front of the engine.

b9af81a167f7ee93dc4b49007a01083e.jpg

073b960c4defc2cf526920334a2110dd.jpg

Now last place for me is the shroud only applies if you have removed 3/4 of the shroud, this is not done 100% yet only glued a tad at the top.

9465de12a80427ec0818d6f6df7e261b.jpg

You also have to block off the front of the engine left and right side, 2 small areas where grass can get pulled in.

This is still at the bodge stage but will be done

318be7afc2cb7bec2cdcbd28f9ec9951.jpg

• Like 1

Don't mind at all fella, it's an open Forum and anyone can post where they like, plus if it helps one person have a long days bashing without a premature breakage, then all the better!

Your post your thread be rude to high jack it :) cheers

I've just done a simple addition to the original Pullstart mesh Mod to replace the use of outerwears: http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/209663-Pullstart-mesh-Mod-V2---No-more-unsightly-outerwears

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I've just done a simple addition to the original Pullstart mesh Mod to replace the use of outerwears: http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/209663-Pullstart-mesh-Mod-V2---No-more-unsightly-outerwears

You'll find that that limits air flow with having that sponge in mate, the fan sucks air in from there plus the danger of it coming off :( ideas there just not practical :(

You'll find that that limits air flow with having that sponge in mate, the fan sucks air in from there plus the danger of it coming off :( ideas there just not practical :(

Well the way I look at it is that the carb sucks air through much thicker foam then this with no problems at all. Plus i can't see it coming away from the silicone as long as you do it correctly. I've given it a little pull test and it's secure. If in the unfortunate circumstance it did come away, I'm sure foam won't cause any damage. I don't mind being the guinea pig on this one [emoji4]

The air the engines suck in is not a great deal compared to what that fan flows at full chat :) but then add dirt and now your stopping flow even more, so would need to be cleaned every run but if small chunks was to fall off that would be OK but if a large full chunk came off then it will just prob lock the flywheel up, but could also go boom :) good luck though maybe OK I just look to see what IF or think negative?