• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice on buggies for racing/bashing

I'm pretty sure that my next RC will be a 1:8 4WD buggy, partly because I want one but the other is my nearest outdoor track is 1:8 buggies or truggies only and I'd like to have a try at racing. So I want an electric buggy which would be primarily a racer but would also get bashed a little here and there. I wouldn't be deliberately flipping it and cartwheeling it though. Maybe the odd jump here and there ;) but it needs to be bashable. I've done a fair amount of research on this, watched a ton of videos and reviews but finding it hard to make a decision on the ones I've identified as potential cars:

Losi Eight 3.0E - I already have a Ten SCTE 2.0 so the platform is familiar. It has the Losi slop but I really like how it drives and at least to me it's been indestructible and it's been run stock. I assume the 3.0 will be very similar. I like the idea of buying a car I don't need to upgrade/mend/replace parts immediately after the first few packs are put through it.

Hyper SSE - It's the cheapest out of the lot by a long way once the ESC and motor are factored in and it's something that others have recommended based on their experience with the Hyper 7 and 9. Also RTR but I'd actually prefer either a roller or ideally a kit so I know how it works and can choose the esc and motor. Looks like a ton of fun though. 

Mugen Seiki MBX7 eco - Looks like a solid car, lots of comments about how well it's built and how well it drives. Fairly expensive though but if it's tougher, there will be less to replace over time. I noticed lots of reviewers say this and the MBX6 are cars they've kept.

Xray XB8E - Bit of an expensive wild card. Lots of good reviews but does it hold up to the odd bash? Looks to be a really solidly built car though and comes as a kit. I like kits! Also looks awesome. 

Is there something else I should consider?

Money isn't really a driving factor in the decision but I don't want to throw it away! Any advice is welcome as I'd like to get the right car and i'm a novice when it comes to buggies. 

Edited by mond

• 2 weeks later...

The 8ight platform is really good. Ive had more rc cars over the years than I care to remember and the 8ight is a really well put together car. I currently have two nitro 8ights and am just waiting for my 8ight-E rtr to arrive. Looks like ill need to swap out the standard servo and then it'll be good to go! Get yourself on hobbyking for some Turnigy batteries and you're race ready for under