• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Compression problems.

ollietheox

Have got hold of a fairly, if not brand spanking, new .21 engine.  Problem is, there appears to be way too much compression and my starter box fails to turn it over.  I've marked BDC on the flywheel and this manages to maybe get a turn or two, but after that it just stops.  Tried heating the engine (only to 50oc achievable from a hair dryer).  Filled it with ARO.  Still nothing.  Turning by hand is tough, but I do manage to turn it over.  Just before it hits TDC there's a bit of a clunk.  Had it all apart, everything moves freely as it should until I put the liner and piston back in. 

Is it just a case of too much compression or is it something more sinister?  Any ideas on how to overcome this problem? 

Yes...more heat....and loosen the glow plug a little or add an extra plug washer (if normal plug).....could add an extra head shim if you have some.

Quite normal for a new engine, once you get some fuel ran through it things will get easier.

When you say "Filled it with ARO", hope you do not mean that literally :) just a drop or two will aid lubrication but too much oil makes starting harder.

Oh and other than that, ensure the starterbox wheel is nicely aligned with the flywheel and that you are getting enough contact between box wheel and flywheel...some chassis have very small cutouts and it can be helpful to open it a little....of course if the box wheel is catching the chassis that will not help.

Edited by Anthoop

Exaggeration on the Aro. Just put a few drops in to make things a bit easier.

Can I chuck it in an oven to heat it? Havent really got amything else here to get it up to temperature.

Yes you could put just the engine into an oven...BUT....there are many soft rubber/plastic bits just on the engine...let alone the car...so No. :)

Your options are...

Try the other things I mentioned (plug/shims) along with the heating method you have.

Buy something that will get it hotter...along with the other things.

Again, ensure that it is all lined up properly too.

Oh and you can also do some funky stuff with tin foil and hair dryers...you do not want the heat so much on the cooling head...rather below it.....and heat rises...

Cheers. I guess I'll have another bash. Patience is the key.........no where can I get some patience from??????

Just my idea but if you are trying to start with ARO in it that will increase the compression. Take plug out few drops of fuel in turn it over to empty out fuel in cylinder put plug back in then try to start it again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...