• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bez's MGM Powered 5ive

-BEZ-

Hmmm looks like I got my maths a bit wrong, its a 875Kv motor (I will modify my original post to suit) .......... this thing is going to need wings on 15s haha

I've just been speaking with Martin in the MGM office and he says the motor will be fine as long as its not run in sand, so that's good ........ but i like backup plans so I will find a donut of air filter foam to slip over the can should the need come to make the most of it.

• Like 1

I'd still be concerned about grass, twigs and gravel, very concerned!

At nigh on 900kv, I doubt you'll want much more than 10S for general bashing, any higher and runtimes will be short and temps high. That's all an estimated guess, but that's the fun of testing something new, find out if it works!

I have a variety of matched cells so I can run from 8s to 15s so I will be testing the normal 8 - 10 - 12 - 14 and 15s voltage configurations to see how they effect temps run times amp draw etc. I've found my other lehners to be really efficient so heat is kept down. The huge length of the can will help reduce the stresses also. But the one way to know for sure is to get out and do.

I will also be taking a trip up to Bash with Harvey and Co at some point soon as it would be good to see how it compares to a tuned 47cc gasser. 

I will be testing max speed on the stock gearing (16t pinion stock spur) on 15s in 2 weeks when I'm up at Long Marsden running Chaser. So I can get some super accurate speed ratings.

One thing that has become painfully apparent is I need more lipo chargers lol

The thing with gearing its very much tuned to the voltage. I imagine the 16t on 14s+ with a 875 Kv motor will be more than a barrel of laughs. I'm curious to see how much I can push it,  I will have to see what the data logging tells me and what scope there is.

No one ever over volts a castle motor haha. This 3080 really does dwarf the 2028. I almost feel like a mad scientist getting ready for some dastardly experiments :D 

• Like 2

Noj does, he ran his 2028 on 10S for quite a while! THE CRAZY FOOL!

Pulled 31500rpm and refused to die, that'll do for me :)

She'll fly, simple as...how high remains the question.

Come on Bez, everything else must be pushed aside, the 5ive needs a bashing :)

Like yourself I've never had over volting motors a bit. 1717 cans are only spec'd to take 6s but will happily run 8 cells. In fact for a giggle I have a 2200Kv 1515 im going to slap on 8s just to see what happens :D

haha yeah normally that would be the case but I have a film crew coming to do a piece on chaser in the beginning of June so not only have I got to make sure its ready to run with some new mods but I always have to tidy up our humble home  with a lick of paint .......... thanks to our silly dogs lol Its half term next week so im sure I will be able to escape with the lad to get some runs in with the 5ive and do a bit of a shakedown :good:

That sounds epic mate is it a show we know. Gadget show mayb? I know they like to take credit for hobbyists builds and Jason gets another world record lol. I think you told us about a Rossa guy that told them to do one?

It's an amazing machine this is tho the esc is massive the Diddy power switch let's it down tho.  Ide expect a hand lever with danger written across it. 

What is 15s in volts 50ish could a shock from that kill a man. 

That sounds epic mate is it a show we know. Gadget show mayb? I know they like to take credit for hobbyists builds and Jason gets another world record lol. I think you told us about a Rossa guy that told them to do one?

It's an amazing machine this is tho the esc is massive the Diddy power switch let's it down tho.  Ide expect a hand lever with danger written across it. 

What is 15s in volts 50ish could a shock from that kill a man. 

Na its nothing to do with them, all they are interested in is getting other people to do the hard work so they can reap the rewards. The filming is for Ultimaker they are doing a big article on the car for their website :)

The thing that makes me laugh is the ESC in the 5ive is smaller than the one in chaser which is a fraction of the size. I will have to take a couple of pics soon for comparison :)

The fun with 15s will be making sure all the bullets go in the right place, Its going to feel like wiring a bomb haha

• Like 1

Na its nothing to do with them, all they are interested in is getting other people to do the hard work so they can reap the rewards. The filming is for Ultimaker they are doing a big article on the car for their website :)

The thing that makes me laugh is the ESC in the 5ive is smaller than the one in chaser which is a fraction of the size. I will have to take a couple of pics soon for comparison :)

The fun with 15s will be making sure all the bullets go in the right place, Its going to feel like wiring a bomb haha

You saw what happens when they don't go to the right place, even on 8s!   :whistling:

It really flys ......... I cant wait to max it out on 15s.

The power delivery is really smooth too so its not hard to drive. It feels like a buggy with a 1515 on 6s