• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

mechanical brakes

froggy8

ok i was looking at pictures of the losi 8 with the tekno kit with 2 servos, one was for steering and the other was for mechanical brakes. i really like that as it puts less strain on the esc and motor but how does one do it though?

Nitro cars have brakes anyway, I guess in a conversion you leave the brake equipment in there, then keep the servo. Connect the brake servo and the esc to some sort of microcontroller so that it knows to use brake in reverse and the ESC for forwards.

May not even need the microcontroller, I guess a Y connector connecting a servo and ESC to the RX channel for throttle. If the throttle goes forward then a standard brake linkage for a nitro car would be fine, the servo would move, pretending to increase throttle and the brakes would only work in reverse.

May not even need the microcontroller, I guess a Y connector connecting a servo and ESC to the RX channel for throttle. If the throttle goes forward then a standard brake linkage for a nitro car would be fine, the servo would move, pretending to increase throttle and the brakes would only work in reverse.

The problem with that setup is you would need to disable reverse on the esc

ok i was looking at pictures of the losi 8 with the tekno kit with 2 servos, one was for steering and the other was for mechanical brakes. i really like that as it puts less strain on the esc and motor but how does one do it though?

Not sure it's that necessary - on the track everyone i've seen uses esc braking and they seem to cope.

To use a brake servo, you would need to use a Y-lead....and yes...reverse becomes unusable as the brake will come on when you 'reverse' which the ESC will lockout.

It may be possible to hook up something to make it work a bit more 'intelligently' but it's not going to be easy.

An ESC should be able to cope with braking just fine.

More cons than pro's I found with mechanical braking. Lower run time, no reverse, weight and setting it up was a pain. But when it was set up correctly (nitro friend helped) the choice of brake biases was great. Esc brakes are just as good and won't flip you over it you go ass up lol

More cons than pro's I found with mechanical braking. Lower run time, no reverse, weight and setting it up was a pain. But when it was set up correctly (nitro friend helped) the choice of brake biases was great. Esc brakes are just as good and won't flip you over it you go ass up lol

I can almost front flip my 1:10 SC on esc braking!  

I can almost front flip my 1:10 SC on esc braking!

Not saying it can't be done on esc braking. Full brakes and thick center diff oil and you will cartwheel all over the shop. But one turn on the wrong screw and it happens easy with mechanical braking. It was at that point I enlisted my nitro friend to help me out lol