• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

killswitch problem

fish6634

i recently ordered a killswitch and i am having problems now its fitted. everything works as it should except for when i rev it. When reved the killswitch activates and it kills the engine. Its not a switchblade killswitch.

anyone any ideas?

thanks

Graeme

I had a similar problem with a different brand of kill switch.  I discovered my connections weren't as good as they could have been.  In fact, it took me a few attempts to get it right. 

Other advice I had been given on the issue was 1. check spark plug cap is properly pushed on 2. check/replace for quality spark plug. 

One further thing I have done (but don't know if it has or would make a difference) is to wrap the cable around one of those little magnets you see on some laptop power cables.  Supposed to stabilise the signal but like I said, no evidence to suggest this helped on not). 

Happy to report that my K/S is working perfectly now though. 

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited to add image.

ferrite-core_zps38agz3fl.png

Edited by Martyn_T

It seems to be working for the minute i have no idea what i have done but it isn't cutting out.

The only problem now is i am wondering when it will start to do it again, i hate not knowing what the problem was. However i did route the spark plug lead so it was further away from the kill switch, i did unplug it to move it so maybe i pushed it on better as suggested above, i just hope it has sorted it but who knows........

I will give it a good run in the morning and see what happens

Check battery. The battery voltage will drop a tad under the load of a servo (especially when steering and braking) so make sure that it is charged and in good condition.

Interference. This is somewhat of a mine field and can sometimes be difficult to isolate. Ovoid cheap spark plugs and stick with the ngk cmr7h. They contain a resistive element that suppresses interference generated by the plug.

This resistive element can still break down, so changing the plug is a good idea.

The plug cap needs to be a nice tight fit also. A bad fit will cause all sorts of nasty interference.

I have also experienced excessive interference generated by the coil itself, cured by replacing with CY / Zenoah original parts.

Mixing. this is a setup issue and probably least likely in your case, but in my experience it is quite common to find the odd 'stray' mix programmed in the transmitter. If you have any sort of mix set between the throttle (or steering) and the aux channel you can expect problems because the mix takes a portion of its master channel and sends it out on the aux channel which will effect the kill switch.

Don't forget that very often a good kill switch will detect even the slightest issue, even one that you would not have even noticed before fitting it.

I hope this helps

Edited by Jolly_roger_uk

My TX is a KM-GT3B

My settings are

Trim

Channel 1 R30 till i get a chance to adjust the steering properly 

Channel 2 N00

Channel 3 N00

Dual Rate 

Channel 1 100%

Channel 2 100%

Channel 3 100%

Rev

Channel 1 NOR

Channel 2 REV

Channel 3 NOR

End Points

Channel 1 Left Forward 100% Right Back 100%

Channel 2 Left Forward 82% Right Back 80%

Channel 3 Left Forward 100% Right Back 100%

EXP

Channel 1 0%

Channel 2 0%

Channel 3 0%

ABS

Channel 2 OFF

Someone please tell me they see an issue on here that could cause the killswitch issue :)

Thanks

Edited by fish6634

There are people more expert then me but the only setting I can see that may upset the killswitch is your channel 3 setting it should have 2 way settings as the other channels do  ie 100% forward and 100% back.