• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Problems starting engine on Rush Evo

KizZ

Hi all

So before starting the engine I decided to watch the DVD that came with it on how to get started. Then I went down and put it on a platform so the wheels dont touch the ground. I filled the tank to the top with a bottle then removed the air filter to check the throttle valve so its 1/4 open and put it back on. I then pressed the primer button several times. After I did that I pulled the pull starter several times using quick short pulls but no joy, it was also kind of hard to pull so I decided it could be a flooded engine or a glow plug issue so I took out the glow plug and tested it in the igniter and it glowed red hot, I could also see that filter has absorbed some fuel :o. I then discharged the fuel by following the procedure in the manual then set the high speed needle to its basic setting. After all that I screwed the glow plug back on and tried starting it but without luck. I also heated the engine with a hairdrier until its too hot to touch bit still no luck. So what am I doing wrong fellas? :closedeyes:

the slide should only be open 1mm for idel not 1/4

However opening it up a bit can help it start ;) 1/4 open is possibly too much though, as when it does start, be prepared for it to rev a lot more than you are expecting :P

As long as when you close the carb theres still a 1mm gap that's fine. I would close the carb so its at 1mm, turn the radio, and slow open the carb usi the radio trim.

If you have the needles at base settings, then you could try and lean it out but by no more than an 1/8th of a turn at a time, and ideally, you dont want to lean very much at all, if you are still breaking it in. I don't know how rich the rush evo is at base settings, but I wouldn't go past 1/4th of a turn just to be safe.

Persistance is the key, it sounds like you are doing everything right, so if you keep heating it, it should start eventually. Is this your first nitro? It took me half an hour to start my Savage up for the first time :)

when the engines new its very tight so it has to much compression making it hard to pull the starter (even when not flooded) slacken the glow plug of a bit to ease starting then once running tighten it back up

you will find once its warmed up if you stall it it will start better this is because the sleeve on the piston has expanded if you over heat your engine though it will also be hard to start(lack of compression let it cool down)

take your time running it in then lean it out and let it rip so long as you see smoke flat out your running ok(not to lean)

marty :)

yeah martin's right there :)

I find with the OS cause the OWB dead, once its started if it stall due to been cold still it starts up ALOT easier...

But DO TAKE IT CAREFUL for the first 10 - 20 tanks AFTER break in :)

the engine will STILL be tight

Ziggy

Everything is good except the car moves slowly when at neutral. I tried the throttle trim but it still doesnt really close the carburetor. Are there any other adjustments? :)

Thanks

have your tried seeing if the brake is on when at stand still as mine did that so i just altered the brake and it worked fine

actualy it is, thats a n00b and kinda stupid way - as the brakes are stopping your car moving at idle when it actually wants to - the clutch shoe's are clipping inside the clutch bell and are causing it to over heat which then leads to a prematuraly worn clutch and a melted spur - adjust the idle - its under the air filter - on twisty carbs itll be a block thing on the end that twists, with a flat head screw - just unscrew this slightly so its can untwist more if you get me ;) on slidy carbs its under the air filter going inwards at an angle, also unscrew this slightly :)

DO NOT ADJUST BRAKES TO STOP THE CAR MOVING AT IDLE!!!

Thanks, that works nicely. There's some drag at neutral but I guess it's not a problem :)

Really... there should be NO drag at neutral

During break-in there should be NO drag as for excess stress on the engine may cause problems

Just release the screw so that u can adjust the arm to the position where the wheels can spin freely

Ziggy